Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GT-R or M6???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM
facialcrunch is infamous around these parts
GT-R or M6???

OK guys... I need a little help here. I bought a 2008 convertible BMW M6 about a month ago for $49,000. It's in excellent flawless condition with 40,000 miles and 1 year remaining on it's factory warranty. I commute 150 miles daily and am actually using it as my commuter car. I must admit though that I'm not very impressed by it. It's fast but not nearly as fast as I expected it to be.

I just found a 2009 Nissan GT-R with only 14,000 miles in super silver color for $69,000. It's loaded with a Cobb AccessPort tuner included. The warranty has just expired but the dealership is willing to extend it 2 years/40,000 miles. It also has brand new tires on it (my BMW needs new tires at $1800). They will give me the $49,000 I paid for the M6 so I'm looking at a $20,000 difference to switch to the GT-R.

I know the GT-R is faster and highly customizable compared with the M6. I also know it's a matter of taste here. I'm not a huge convertible fan but must admit it's nice driving with the top down here in Florida from time to time.

Can someone please help me with this decision?? Has anyone had both and what are your views. I'll likely put around 80,000 miles on either over the next 2 years. What would you do?? Thanks

Old 11-26-2011, 09:59 PM
TMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the rough
The GT-R is not cheap to maintain with OEM or quality replacement parts. If you are going to put 80K miles on it, you are likely to go through 4 brake changes (about $4K a pop at a qualified shop with comparable replacement parts...or about $7K at the Nissan dealer with OEM parts). You should change the transmission oil every 15K miles...so that is about 5 times over the 80K miles...at about $700 a pop at a reputable shop with Dodson Motorsport oil...or around $1,200 at the Nissan dealer. The OEM tires on the GT-R will run you $2K+...and you may not get more than 15K miles on each set... so expect 5 tire changes over that period. So can you handle about $30K in maintenance/replacement over the next 2 years?

Also, technically the GT-R has a powertrain warranty of 60 months or 60,000 miles with the basic warranty running 36 months or 36,000 miles. So is the dealer claiming the car car's basic warranty expired? Or is there no powertrain warranty because of the AccessPort?

Tom

Old 11-27-2011, 06:05 AM
monEmakindave is infamous around these parts
If it has the access port warranty claims will be a fight.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 AM
turbod ss is infamous around these parts
Both are very nice cars dont get me wrong, but me personally would go with the GT-R.
The awd is something I like. I mean you dont have to worry about snow so much as I would be up in wonderful Buffalo, NY! Also the GT-R will be quicker then M6 also the sound the v6 tt in the GT-R's is so purrrrrre sounding!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 PM
dimitri is infamous around these parts
GTR is uncomfortable vs the m6

Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 PM
gaw0319 is infamous around these parts
I'm a bit biased, but I would definitely go with the GTR as well. Their AWD system is close to unbeatable for handling, and they have a huge amount of power potential, if you're in to modding.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:49 PM
facialcrunch is infamous around these parts
UPDATE....

Thanks for all of the advice. The M6 is gone and I have my GT-R. WOW what a difference. First off I personally don't think it's as uncomfortable as many have stated. As for the speed... incredible. I can't believe I was even wasting brain-power on this decision. So glad the M6 is gone

Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 AM
rolemodel is infamous around these parts
Try to be friends with the dealership. A large percentage dont' get warranty work with the mods you have when their transmissions went out.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
mavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of light
Maintenance costs

Holy cr@p. I've been wondering about real world, long-term maintenance costs for a GT-R and this is the first informative post I've seen on it. That's an eye opener and a bit of a deterrent. Are those brake changes pads AND rotors or just pads? How hard is it to do it yourself?

Originally Posted by TMC CL65
The GT-R is not cheap to maintain with OEM or quality replacement parts. If you are going to put 80K miles on it, you are likely to go through 4 brake changes (about $4K a pop at a qualified shop with comparable replacement parts...or about $7K at the Nissan dealer with OEM parts). You should change the transmission oil every 15K miles...so that is about 5 times over the 80K miles...at about $700 a pop at a reputable shop with Dodson Motorsport oil...or around $1,200 at the Nissan dealer. The OEM tires on the GT-R will run you $2K+...and you may not get more than 15K miles on each set... so expect 5 tire changes over that period. So can you handle about $30K in maintenance/replacement over the next 2 years?

Also, technically the GT-R has a powertrain warranty of 60 months or 60,000 miles with the basic warranty running 36 months or 36,000 miles. So is the dealer claiming the car car's basic warranty expired? Or is there no powertrain warranty because of the AccessPort?

Tom

Old 12-04-2011, 07:22 PM
TMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mavila
Holy cr@p. I've been wondering about real world, long-term maintenance costs for a GT-R and this is the first informative post I've seen on it. That's an eye opener and a bit of a deterrent. Are those brake changes pads AND rotors or just pads? How hard is it to do it yourself?
That is changing the pads and rotors on all four corners. Nissan recommends doing them all at the same time. But it really depends on how hard you run the car. I only have 14.5K miles on mine. I have done a couple of oil changes already... ($240 a pop at the dealership with the annual service which gives you a free alignment and free diagnostic and "intake equalization" service). I did my oil change recently and they checked my brakes and said they were wearing very evenly and looked good, so maybe I can get to 25K miles. I am changing the spark plugs and transmission oil literally tomorrow (along with downpipes intake, injectors and custom tune).

Tom

Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 PM
mavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of light
My car would probably see track time, so it would be fair to say I'd be more aggressive than most. I thought the quote I got for a brake job on my Q7 at the dealer was bad (I believe it was close to $2K), and this is double that cost at fewer miles. Any prepay option the way you get at Lexus/Audi/BMW - where you prepay the first 4-5 scheduled services up front?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Wiznaz is infamous around these parts
Apples to Oranges. However, I'd still go with the GTR.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to all
Glad you went with the GT-R

Old 12-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Wiznaz is infamous around these parts
Slap a Cobb on there and let the modding begin!

Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Wiznaz
Slap a Cobb on there and let the modding begin!
By Cobb, did you mean the Y-pipe, Accessport, or intake, etc...?

Or just a company sticker?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R or M6???