Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My GTR build heavy mods over the past few years

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 PM
dsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud of
congrats Jason.

Neil, are the new SS set up lighter than the Ti set up you guys offered before? Why make the switch?

Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 AM
KMJEV is infamous around these parts
This exhaust looks great!!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Jason -

Awesome to see you again bro. The car looked great and ran wonderful.

Great job by you and the team at Switzer.

Eric

Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
BoulderGTR has a spectacular aura aboutBoulderGTR has a spectacular aura aboutBoulderGTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Jason -

Awesome to see you again bro. The car looked great and ran wonderful.

Great job by you and the team at Switzer.

Eric

Thanks Eric. It was great seeing you again as well. Thanks for the compliment on my car. I was really happy with how it performed in Texas and am looking forward to getting a lot more time in the car this summer.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing you at TX2K13.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:10 AM
NVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to behold
Jason-Still simply awesome. I think you need a '13 and start the build over. Oh, and Im first in line to buy this one.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:33 PM
BoulderGTR has a spectacular aura aboutBoulderGTR has a spectacular aura aboutBoulderGTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by NVRENUF
Jason-Still simply awesome. I think you need a '13 and start the build over. Oh, and Im first in line to buy this one.
Thanks. I will let you know if I decide to go that route
thanks again.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:34 PM
I have finally caught up and settled back in at home and wanted to share my experience thus far. I will begin with how it all started and finish with when I arrived back home in Colorado.

This past Fall I began considering upgrading from my P800 package into a "bigger" build. There were certain compromises I was not willing to make. The biggest being that the car needed to be able to run a flex fuel set up. The idea of having to drain the tank to put in race gas was not appealing to me. I wanted a car I could drive anywhere. And also be able to compete in multiple events such as road course, drag, 1/2 mile, mile etc. After looking at my options I called Neil over at Switzer to discuss their Flex Fuel set up. Well one thing led to another and on Janruary 1st the transport picked up my car and headed to Switzer.

From that point the communication/updates was consistent and appreciated from Ethan at their shop. The build came together very well. The only hurdle was Ohio's weather. It simply would not cooperate with us. About a week before the event I spoke with Ethan and there simply was not going to be enough time to fine tune the driveability of my set up due to the weather on the street. The "street tune" was roughed in and the WOT tunes were complete. The plan was to finish the driveabilty tunes once in Texas.

Friday night (march 9th) my car arrived at the dealership. I have to add that it arrived from a different carrier(which was fine). When I spoke with Tym about the change in carriers he let me know that due to the time table they had to use a different transport to meet our time line. This change alone cost Switzer a sizeable amount of money that I am sure they had not set up in my estimate. But it was important to them that my car arrive in time to make TX2K12 like we had discussed. Saturday morning I came down to the store. Eric and I double checked a few things and added the rear tow hooks. At that point I drove the car to the station topped off with E85 and headed home. Car felt good but I literally only had a chance to drive the car home (about 15 miles). At that point the car sat in my garage until Monday morning. We loaded the car Monday and headed down to Texas Tuesday morning.

Wednesday night Tym and Boyan finshed up the street tune and said we are good to go. We will further refine the set up on the road course. What really impressed me at this point was that Tym not only finished this car within a limited window due to the weather but was now taking a "fresh build" (had been broken in on the dyno) onto the road course to further refine the set up. Those of you that road course know just how hard and demanding the road course is on a car. Talk about having confidence in your packages and organization. I won't go into great detail about the road course because I posted my experience about that in a post above. But to summarize it went outstanding. The car ran great on all boost settings!!!!

Saturday and Sunday was the 1/4 mile competition. I arrived Saturday morning and spoke with Tym about the car and what to expect. You have to remeber that up until this point I have never driven a car at this power level down the strip. I have to admit I was a bit nervous. I asked Tym if he thought it would be a good idea to have him run the car down the track a few times before I drove it. He smiled and said I would be fine. We decided that my first run would be no LC. Just roll off the line and go WOT on boost setting 4 (second highest). Wow. Once the car got moving it just wouldn't stop pulling. Trapped 150 if I rember correctly. What a blast!!

Boyan and Tym then looked at the logs. Made a few changes and said we are good to start making LC runs. Tym and Boyan then took my car down the return road. When they came back they said LC was good to go. We ran a few different hybrid LC's. All variations either built boost or kept the car out of vacuum. At this point I had butterflys in my stomach. I knew the car was going to pull really hard out of the hole and was trying to prepare myself mentally for all the "data" I was going to be taking in on the run. What a blast!!! The car came out of the hole smoothly and very quickly. Tym had already "walked" me through what to expect (shift points, wheel spin, etc.). I was amazed at how quickly I became comfortable in the car. The two biggest contibuting factors for that were my confidence in Switzer and how they have set up the car. Don't get me wrong the car is still a handful. Definitely have to pay attention and respect the power.

Tym, Boyan and I agreed to set the LC up on the conservative side. I enjoy 1/4 mile but did not want to abuse the drivetrain for a few tenths. Boyan made a few changes to the LC as we collected data and got my feedback. Then after I believe my third run Boyan looked at the data and said "were there". LC is in dialed in and at this point we can make adjustments with tire pressure to suit the track. From that point forward the changes were just tire pressure. I ran pretty consistent 9.5's for the weekend. Car was cutting 1.6 60 foots and the mph was steady at 150.

I was very very happy with the results. My car is set up for daily driving and road course. My car has a lot done to the aero which I am sure hurts my mph in the 1/4. I ran this car all weekend the way I would drive it daily. Both seats, rear spoiler, half a tank of gas, etc. I need to scale my car but it should weigh right @4,100 pounds with me in it. I believe that if I did the usual 1/4 mile changes (remove passenger seat, stock body work, remove rear spoiler, etc.) and had Tym set the boost by gear a bit more aggressive and run another 5-6 pounds of boost up top (mode 6 ) the car is capable of running low low 9's@155. But that was not my goal. My goal was to have a consistent 9 second car with strong trap speeds that was not stressing the pkg. To run a best of 9.4@150 on a "soft" launch exceeded my expectations.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday night I drove the car back to the hotel(about 50 mile each way) and then back to the drag strip in the mornings. The car never missed a beat. Sunday night Boyan and Tym took the car out to finish the pump gas tunes. Eric and I then loaded it back in the trailer for the trip back to Colorado. Once home I unloaded and drove the car to work.

TX2K12 was a very harsh environment to "shake down" any build much less a 1,000/1,000 hp/trq build. I think that fact alone speaks volumes for Switzers build quality and packages. To finish 3rd on the road course in my street driven GTR and finsh 3rd in the GTR unlimited drag class against very well built and set up cars solidifies my thoughts about this package.

I want to thank Tym, Boyan, Neil and DK for making the trip to Texas. I really appreciate all your hard work and the time you spent with me over the event to help refine my set up. I also wanted to thank everyone at Switzer that was involved in my build that couldn't attend TX2K12. Switzer has exceeded all my expectations thus far. This car really can do it all. Reasonable on the street, and very fast on the road course and the strip.

I can't wait to get more time in the car!!! In about two weeks my road course and drag race seasons begin for the year. Really excited to get the season started. TX2K12 was a great start

Thanks for reading. Be safe and I hope everyone has a great year

Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
rseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud ofrseven has much to be proud of
Great write-up. Props to the Switzer team for amazing customer service and a top notch build. Enjoy the car in good health!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 AM
rmx12 is infamous around these parts
thats a sick looking GT-r

Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by dsu*
congrats Jason.

Neil, are the new SS set up lighter than the Ti set up you guys offered before? Why make the switch?
Thanks.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by rseven
Great write-up. Props to the Switzer team for amazing customer service and a top notch build. Enjoy the car in good health!
Thanks

Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by rmx12
thats a sick looking GT-r
Thanks. I appreciate the compliment.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Thanks for posting your experience Jason, it has been nothing but a pleasure to work with you on this build, I look forward to further work in the future.

The 90mm stainless system is 20lbs heavier than our Ti system, however Jason was running a CBRD midpipe and HKS Legamax Exhaust, which are both extremely restrictive at this power level and actually heavier than our 90mm stainless system.

Overall, the decision to change came down to the affected power output. I think we all agreed after hearing Jason's car on the road course and the dragstrip that it had one of the nicest exhaust notes we have ever heard. I love that it doesn't overpower the sound of the turbochargers, which at WOT make a beautiful sound!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Jason -

Great write-up. So glad you are happy with the new power. The team at Switzer really know what they are doing.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 PM
tgoss is a jewel in the roughtgoss is a jewel in the roughtgoss is a jewel in the roughtgoss is a jewel in the rough
Got a chance to look this car over at the shop today while dropping off some parts and I'm still blown away. You have the ultimate GT-R Jason. I couldn't imagine it getting better but I have a feeling you can find a way. Congrats again on the success down in Texas and I hope to see you guys again later this week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My GTR build heavy mods over the past few years