Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

May move from Cayman S to GTR...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 PM
P-car Fan is infamous around these parts
May move from Cayman S to GTR...

I'm seriously considering the GTR for my next ride (will also look at the 991 and new Cayman when it's released) once the lease is up on my Cayman S (about a year left). I know it's still a ways away, but I'm always looking around at what else is out there
Even though the GTR is considerably more than my Cayman S (msrp of $75k), the leases are very similar in price (I lease and not buy due to tax reasons). I'm guessing Nissan has much better money factor rates
Anyway, my main reserves revolve around moving from a Porsche to a Nissan, no knock on the brand, but I've owned some in the past and was never that impressed. Clearly the GTR is at another level regarding performance, but I'm concerned with things like paint quality, reliability, etc.
Did any of you cross-shop Porsches and the GTR? What were some of your opinions between the two? Also, do you find that the GTR stands out to much (receives unwanted attention)? How many daily drivers are out there?

Old 02-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P-car Fan
I'm seriously considering the GTR for my next ride (will also look at the 991 and new Cayman when it's released) once the lease is up on my Cayman S (about a year left). I know it's still a ways away, but I'm always looking around at what else is out there
Even though the GTR is considerably more than my Cayman S (msrp of $75k), the leases are very similar in price (I lease and not buy due to tax reasons). I'm guessing Nissan has much better money factor rates
Anyway, my main reserves revolve around moving from a Porsche to a Nissan, no knock on the brand, but I've owned some in the past and was never that impressed. Clearly the GTR is at another level regarding performance, but I'm concerned with things like paint quality, reliability, etc.
Did any of you cross-shop Porsches and the GTR? What were some of your opinions between the two? Also, do you find that the GTR stands out to much (receives unwanted attention)? How many daily drivers are out there?
Former 996 GT2 and 996TT owner here. I've also driven 997TT, 997 GT3, 997 GT2RS, 991, and a few TT Gallardos. Bottom-line is that the GT-R is the best 'all-around' car I've ever owned or driven, hence why I keep buying them.

The paint is not as good as Porsche, but it's better than it was in '09 and '10. Also, the GT-R does draw a lot more attention than Porsches, but not quite as much as Lambos.

It's a great daily driver. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Former 996 GT2 and 996TT owner here. I've also driven 997TT, 997 GT3, 997 GT2RS, 991, and a few TT Gallardos. Bottom-line is that the GT-R is the best 'all-around' car I've ever owned or driven, hence why I keep buying them.

The paint is not as good as Porsche, but it's better than it was in '09 and '10. Also, the GT-R does draw a lot more attention than Porsches, but not quite as much as Lambos.

It's a great daily driver. Good luck with your decision.
THanks, you're opinion means a lot coming from all the P cars and the Lambos. Truth be told I'd be in a Lambo no questions asked if I were willing to pay for a new one, I just don't want my lease to be as much as a mortgage!

Are GTR's hard to find in stock? I live in FL so I'd think dealers down here would be more likely to have some given the plethora of exotic dealers in the state, however, I didn't know if ordering was the best bet. Luckily there really aren't any options to find the right car (unlike Porsche!), so the right color would seem all that's necessary.
How much are dealers willing to deal on the GTR?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
THanks, you're opinion means a lot coming from all the P cars and the Lambos. Truth be told I'd be in a Lambo no questions asked if I were willing to pay for a new one, I just don't want my lease to be as much as a mortgage!
A TT Lambo is probably the only car that I would move to from a GT-R. But not because it's necessarily better (it is in some ways, but not in others)....but mostly because it's different, yet still with a lot of the same characteristics.

Are GTR's hard to find in stock? I live in FL so I'd think dealers down here would be more likely to have some given the plethora of exotic dealers in the state, however, I didn't know if ordering was the best bet. Luckily there really aren't any options to find the right car (unlike Porsche!), so the right color would seem all that's necessary.
How much are dealers willing to deal on the GTR?
I don't think you'll have a hard time finding one. What year are you looking for? If 2013, there are plenty of dealers around the country that you can order one from. Just have it shipped. No reason to get it locally.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
A TT Lambo is probably the only car that I would move to from a GT-R. But not because it's necessarily better (it is in some ways, but not in others)....but mostly because it's different, yet still with a lot of the same characteristics.

I don't think you'll have a hard time finding one. What year are you looking for? If 2013, there are plenty of dealers around the country that you can order one from. Just have it shipped. No reason to get it locally.
Thanks again, it'll be a '13, I figured there would be a decent supply out there

Old 02-22-2012, 02:40 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
I own both.. I have a Gen I Cayman S that I track and race, and I just picked up a 2012 BE a month ago... The paint isn't Porsche quality, the interior has way more electronics and fun gadgetry... although I would personally place it below the newer Porsche interiors in terms of quality and refinement. For a DD, the GTR is really great. I drive it to work everyday and it's a blast. Plenty of power when you need it with plenty of trunk space for golf clubs or smaller luggage. I have a 5 year old as well and he sits in the back with a booster seat. I am glad I was able to keep the Cayman because I really enjoy driving stick, and its' a cheaper car to track than the GTR. The GTR however will be getting some horse power mods which you know is impossible to do with a Cayman. Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:07 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
previous 07 gt3 to 2012 gtr and like the gtr better in all respects except sound. dd both and track about 6-10/yr.

added a mid pipe which helped but a cat back is also needed to match gt3 sound.

you will not regret the change.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks again everyone!
Since there aren't really any options, the main thing will be picking the color, probably between the gun metallic and red for me (non B.E.)

Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
No reason to get it locally.[/QUOTE]

That was the problem for me. There was no dealer close especially for service. 2 Nissan dlrs within 25 miles but neither handles the GTR. Service is frequent and expensive with these or at least it used to be...
Jim

Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 PM
HeavyMental is infamous around these parts
Are you writing off the lease payments?

Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by HeavyMental
Are you writing off the lease payments?
Yes, the majority of them anyway

Old 03-04-2012, 04:15 PM
rotaz has a spectacular aura aboutrotaz has a spectacular aura aboutrotaz has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jhuang25
I own both.. I have a Gen I Cayman S that I track and race, and I just picked up a 2012 BE a month ago... The paint isn't Porsche quality, the interior has way more electronics and fun gadgetry... although I would personally place it below the newer Porsche interiors in terms of quality and refinement. For a DD, the GTR is really great. I drive it to work everyday and it's a blast. Plenty of power when you need it with plenty of trunk space for golf clubs or smaller luggage. I have a 5 year old as well and he sits in the back with a booster seat. I am glad I was able to keep the Cayman because I really enjoy driving stick, and its' a cheaper car to track than the GTR. The GTR however will be getting some horse power mods which you know is impossible to do with a Cayman. Good Luck!
Jason heard that you got the gtr seems like you are enjoying it. I'll need to come check it out soon.