Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

stock GTR's not fast enough?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 AM
nacelle is infamous around these parts
stock GTR's not fast enough?

Lurking about here... it seems as if most GTR's head to the mod shop pretty quickly...

I'm wondering about that, they are pretty damned fast out of the box...

Do most mod their cars or is that the minority and most leave them stock?

Last edited by nacelle; 05-03-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: "Bad English" LOL
Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 AM
TMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the roughTMC CL65 is a jewel in the rough
I would say that the majority GT-R owners that are active on car forums do some sort of performance mods to their GT-Rs. However, I would speculate that less than half of GT-R owners are active on a car forum. So it may be somewhat skewed to see all these owners online doing mods, when in fact GT-Rs with performance mods are in the overall minority. I would think that it is no different than any other high performance cars (AMG, M, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini...etc).

I also think that the ease (relatively low cost compared to other performance marques) of seeing very noticeable gains on the GT-R is the genesis of the modding bug...rather than an actual need to correct some sort of performance deficiency. The GT-R's AWD chassis is capable of handling alot more power while maintaining excellent drivability. So aside from warranty concerns, there really isn't a downside (other than speeding tickets).

Tom

Last edited by TMC CL65; 04-27-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Correct, the GT-R is arguably the best, and certainly the best for the money platform.

The older metzger (996) motors were probably better in terms of handling high hp (800whp all day w/ proper tuning and gas) but the manuals and tippys could not keep up w/ the GT-R's lightening fast shifting. I calculated that the shifting gives the GT-R a 100 hp advantage, but Scott (Divexx, the Mod) says it is even more than that and he has owned both high hp TTs and GT=Rs.

The new Porsche's have the lightening fast PDK shifters, but the motor, from what I have heard will not handle near as much power as the Metzger or GT-R 3.8.

The only car competing right now, of course, are the TT Lambos. If you have $350K large for the car and UR TT package then you might beat the GT-R's. However a 75K GT-R w/ a Switzer R1K, or an AMS Alpha 12....and especially an Alpha Omega will hang w/ even the very fastest UR TT Lambo and for a lot less money.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the information, thoughtful responses guys, the GT R is truly an amazing machine, seemingly under appreciated on these shores.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
BigD911 is infamous around these parts
Stock 2013s can get into the upper 10's in the quarter.

http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/first-...racing-14-mile

It does seem like guys with the 2009-2011 models like to get them retuned so they too can be in the 500+ hp range of the 2012+ cars.

Plus, does anybody ever think their car is "fast enough"?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 PM
That's a red rocket!

Originally Posted by BigD911
Stock 2013s can get into the upper 10's in the quarter.

http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/first-...racing-14-mile

It does seem like guys with the 2009-2011 models like to get them retuned so they too can be in the 500+ hp range of the 2012+ cars.

Plus, does anybody ever think their car is "fast enough"?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Raydius is infamous around these parts
I actually get the "fast enough" question a lot. As long as the car remains balanced with no unreasonable sacrifice of reliability or driveability, I'd say why not. Why not have even more of a good thing? I think the hard thing to grasp for some folks who are not familiar with the platform is it takes some seriously outlandish HP for a GTR to become difficult to drive.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nacelle
Lurking about here... it seems as if most GTR's head to the mod shop pretty quickly...

I'm wondering about that, they are pretty damned fast out of the box...

Do most mod their cars or is that the minority and most leave them stock?
I'm sorta perplexed by it as well.
I certainly understand the mod bug but GTR's come with over 500 hp and amazing sprint times.
If you're a track star, by all means extract as much power as it can deliver. But if you're a regular street driver, I'm just wondering why the need for excess.
Bottom line is people can do what they please. I'm no hater. I'm sure I've done some things no one understands. Like spend 30K on a 1995 SC300 then turn around and sell it. I can't talk about waste.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:43 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Yes, they come with plenty power stock. But when 600HP is only an additional $2k (Y-pipe, AP, and a custom tune), why not?

It isn't just the overall bump, it is all the useable power in the everyday RPM range. I use this increase almost everyday.

I echo TMC's comments as well.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Yes, they come with plenty power stock. But when 600HP is only an additional $2k (Y-pipe, AP, and a custom tune), why not?

It isn't just the overall bump, it is all the useable power in the everyday RPM range. I use this increase almost everyday.

I echo TMC's comments as well.
What...you can take it to 600 hp for only 2k? Definitely sounds reasonable.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ice350
What...you can take it to 600 hp for only 2k? Definitely sounds reasonable.
Y-pipe - $500
Cobb AccessPort - $1000 (005, 006 costs ~$1500 but comes with TCM support)
Custom tune - ~$500

= ~600BHP (give or take, depending on how aggressive the tune is)

Conservatively, it is easily 560+

Old 06-03-2012, 09:46 PM
mlambert890 is infamous around these parts
Many may also be like me... I bought an 09 that was Nissan reflashed to LC2. LC2 is still a bit jerky around town.

I wanted LC5 (2013) which is perfect IMO.

Well Nissan wont do that, but Cobb AP does it. So I bought Cobb AP ($1500) literally to get LC5. Of course Ive owned APs in the past (for EVO)

Once you have it, why would you *not* flash stage 1 at least?

The GTR is the "most stock" Ive ever kept any car, but I have to say that with the 3.6 maps from Cobb, and boost upped to 17PSI from the stock 11PSI for an 09 (around 13 for a 2013), the car is *massively* quicker. Very noticeably. And it was ridiculous to begin with.

I dont even plan on doing any exhaust mods at all (incl Y Pipe... dont want sound changed *at all*), but the Cobb AP was simply too slick, too perfect and too massive a bang for the buck to not do once I decided that I had to buy it for LC5.

With the latest maps, *just* stage 1 (no physical change to car, no custom tune, no anything) puts you at 2013 power on an 09 (probably higher really) and gives you the latest trans software for $1500. Really a good move that almost no enthusiast would pass up IMO even if the car was 'quick enough' stock.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by mlambert890
Many may also be like me... I bought an 09 that was Nissan reflashed to LC2. LC2 is still a bit jerky around town.

I wanted LC5 (2013) which is perfect IMO.

Well Nissan wont do that, but Cobb AP does it. So I bought Cobb AP ($1500) literally to get LC5. Of course Ive owned APs in the past (for EVO)

Once you have it, why would you *not* flash stage 1 at least?

The GTR is the "most stock" Ive ever kept any car, but I have to say that with the 3.6 maps from Cobb, and boost upped to 17PSI from the stock 11PSI for an 09 (around 13 for a 2013), the car is *massively* quicker. Very noticeably. And it was ridiculous to begin with.

I dont even plan on doing any exhaust mods at all (incl Y Pipe... dont want sound changed *at all*), but the Cobb AP was simply too slick, too perfect and too massive a bang for the buck to not do once I decided that I had to buy it for LC5.

With the latest maps, *just* stage 1 (no physical change to car, no custom tune, no anything) puts you at 2013 power on an 09 (probably higher really) and gives you the latest trans software for $1500. Really a good move that almost no enthusiast would pass up IMO even if the car was 'quick enough' stock.
Good info. Also, the AP NIS-006 (one that reprograms the TCM) is going for about $1250 (or $1290 or something like that - decent price drop from Cobb).

Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 AM
revracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nice
To some people its never enough. I ride a bike that traps 141 and it just feels slow now it needs another 50hp. Its no different with these cars guys keep on driving them hard and they get bored. Good for people like me that have this sickness that companys like AMS and Switzer are out there.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Matte Murder is infamous around these partsMatte Murder is infamous around these parts
jasper does Cobb supply a tune when you get the Access Port? I see you have $500 listed for a custom tune. I assume you had somebody program a tune into the AP for you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: stock GTR's not fast enough?