Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

Nissan GTR - How are the resale values?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 AM
brian sherwood is infamous around these parts
Nissan GTR - How are the resale values?

Looking to purchase a new Nissan GTR. I was wondering what the resale values of this car is after one year and after 2 years.

I have heard that they do not retain their values? Anyone know?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:12 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brian sherwood
Looking to purchase a new Nissan GTR. I was wondering what the resale values of this car is after one year and after 2 years.

I have heard that they do not retain their values? Anyone know?
They've retained resale value more than any other car I remember.

It is due to a number of reasons (annually raised MSRP, which in and of itself is due to a number or reasons - annual incremental improvements, value of the dollar, etc...). Some '09's were purchased for $73k, and have been sold recently for $58-65k. Not bad for 4 years. We've also seen that 2 year old GT-R's still sell for their original MSRP.

It may help that they all come fully loaded standard.

Either way - resale isn't bad.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 AM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
They are holding very well!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
You buying the car to enjoy it or let it sit while you brag about havng one?

I see the GTR as a car for guys who like to drive. Its not an exotic. Why the concern over resale value?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ice350
You buying the car to enjoy it or let it sit while you brag about havng one?

I see the GTR as a car for guys who like to drive. Its not an exotic. Why the concern over resale value?
I would assume because he might want to sell a few years down the road without loosing his shirt, pants, AND underwear.

Unless you have unlimited cashflow that you don't mind blowing through, resale value is a very valid concern... even for people who love to drive their cars.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 AM
brian sherwood is infamous around these parts
QUOTE=PaulChristian;3557094]I would assume because he might want to sell a few years down the road without loosing his shirt, pants, AND underwear.

Unless you have unlimited cashflow that you don't mind blowing through, resale value is a very valid concern... even for people who love to drive their cars.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are right. I usually hold a car for a year of less and did not want to take a big depreciation. I try to keep the mileage down below 12,000 and it will be a daily driver!

Last edited by brian sherwood; 05-31-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Yes you are right. I usually hold a car for a year of less and did not want to take a big depreciation. I try to keep the mileage down below 12,000 and it will be a daily driver!
Big depreciation is not happening with the GT-R. In fact, it is possible that if you buy a car, and keep it for one year, you might be able to sell it for the same price you bought it (depending on year/condition).

Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
QUOTE=PaulChristian;3557094]I would assume because he might want to sell a few years down the road without loosing his shirt, pants, AND underwear.

Unless you have unlimited cashflow that you don't mind blowing through, resale value is a very valid concern... even for people who love to drive their cars.

Yes you are right. I usually hold a car for a year of less and did not want to take a big depreciation. I try to keep the mileage down below 12,000 and it will be a daily driver![/QUOTE]

People who keep cars short term should lease. Then resale value is not an issue. Just turn it in.
It's very unwise to purchase knowing you're getting rid of it in 2 years. The dealer takes the depreciation hit with leasing.

So I still don't get it.

Last edited by ice350; 05-31-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 AM
People who keep cars short term should lease. Then resale value is not an issue. Just turn it in.
It's very unwise to purchase knowing you're getting rid of it in 2 years. The dealer takes the depreciation hit with leasing.

So I still don't get it.
A resale of a 2011, purchased in 2010 for $85k, sold in 2012 for $75k, only had a real cost of about $10k. (Yes, I realize that this car KBB's for about $81k, I'm overestimating and still proving the point)

If a car is leased (generally for around $1400-1500/month) for two years, it would have totaled $18k per year x 2 = $36k. The dealer is NOT taking the depreciation hit.

The dealer will be quite happy.

Do what you'd like, but the GT-R is not depreciating enough that leasing equals out in the end. It's all about priorities.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Dntlvet is infamous around these parts
Resale is very good on GT-R since some dealers get over MSRP new

Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light'Trust' is a glorious beacon of light
If you're only keeping it for less than 12 months, buy used, pay cash. No matter what, you'll take a hit on it. If you buy a used '12 with less than 3k on it, let that seller take the majority of the hit. You'll maybe lose $3-5k.

So I still don't get it.
Um, what?

You should only lease a car for a write-off IMO, and it's still the better of two evils.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
They've retained resale value more than any other car I remember.
^^^this^^^

They hold their value much better than Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM
mlambert890 is infamous around these parts
Speaking as someone who just bought one used, I can say that they absolutely hold their value very well indeed

Ive owned NSX's in the past where I was able to sell them for nearly what I paid for them. GTR is trending the same way ultimately.

That said...

Knowing ahead of time that you dont go even a single year on a car I cant see any reason why you wouldnt buy used. There will be pretty much no depreciation if you buy a used car and then unload it in 7 months.

Unless you have unlimited cashflow (which would mean you wouldnt really care about depreciation anyway), I think its a hugely horrible idea to flip cars that quickly, but thats a personal decision obviously.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Hua
Hua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud of

So I still don't get it.
Do you think dealers would offer leases if they lose money on the deal? The consumer is taking the hit, not the dealer.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:51 AM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
2009 red premium GTR sold at a local dealer last week with 9k miles for $63,500 + Taxes and fees. Best resale ive ever seen on a car that's 4 years old.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.