Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

What car should I get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Curt04 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the advice guys! At this point the GT-R is still in the back of my mind and is still an option for me but I'm starting to lean towards either a HPF Stage 2.5 M3 or a C6 Z06. If I did get a GT-R I would be able to do some moderate modding. My goal is to have around 700whp on pump and I'm thinking that would cost me a good penny on the GT-R. I believe the GT-R has a curb weight of 3800 pounds so I was wondering if that plays a bad role with you GT-R guys.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Rackthis is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by will175
I would not suggest Pro EFI for the OP. Keep it simple. Run Cobb AP. If you want more failsafes and a way better EMS go with Syvecs hands down. But be aware it will cost you a pretty penny. And Rackthis I know you are getting him dealer prices but, those are high. You can get yourself into a Carbon Ceramic front brake set up around that price. Since the GTR has come out there has been a lot of advancements in aftermarket support. But yes trans fluid is pricey. I paid I think $480 for my dodson trans fluid.

OP- I would not shoot for over 600 awhp on stock rods. But even at around that power that is a mid 10sec 1/4 mile car easily. And it will hold its own on roll racing. You could easily just throw piston and rods in the bottom end and be good for A LOT of power. The next failure point would be the trans, which is big money if you want bug power to hold. My trans costed me $26k. But there are options for around 7k that will hold a good amout of torque. I would just keep it simple. Throw piston and rods in there, do a small SIR turbo upgrade, you could wait on the trans and keep power low or go with Stg2/2.5 trans upgrade from shep or ssp. Simple two walbro 485s pumps, and some injectors (ID1000/2000, SIR injectors, etc), then get it tuned with Cobb. You will be faster then most things on the road with that super simple set up and still be daily friendly.
If you run just the cobb, you will continually have to disconnect the battery to re-gain your power. One of my friends has to do this before he races at the track as the factory computer with start pulling back the power as you drive it. It will also not due "true" flex fuel. You have to run e85 or gas. The problem with that is you never get e85 out of the pump. I've seen it as low as e67 and that can cost you an engine. With the Pro EFI you can run any mixture of e85 or gas and it will make the adjustments to timing, fuel and boost according the the ethanol content. Does Syvecs have "true" flex fuel capabilities? What makes it hands down some much better than the Pro EFI?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 PM
will175 is infamous around these parts
^^^ I have NEVER heard of Cobb pulling power after a tune is installed. I personally know of mine plus 6 others locally that never have to do that. I know a whole bunch more of my friends over the country that don't have to do this as well. So I dont know what issue your buddy is running into.

And Pro Efi (Jason) is releasing there new version very soon. And yes Pro Efi worked really well in the Supra scene with true dummy proof flex fuel set up. There are only a few GTRs that are running flawlessly on Pro Efi.

Syveccs, I am not sure about true flex fuel. I never really cared since it so easy for me to change maps on my Cobb and if I decide to go Syveccs I dont "need" the true flex fuel ability. Its more of all the failsafes and how fast the unit works. And where I get my pump E85, I have ALWAYS get between E83-E85, most of the time its E84-E85. I know because in my Built Stroker Super I have a Ethanol content digital gauge.

Also for the OP. A bolt on GTR running E85 on a good tune will light up a 700whp Vette. :-) The GTR is a over al better car then any other car you have listed. I know from personal driving experience. Not just biased to the GTR. The only other fun car that I would look forward to buying is a 997 GT3RS.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 PM
^^ Yeah I have been really looking into the GT-Rs and they just dominate! I thought the weight would really be a big negative but with everything I've seen the GT-R is the ultimate car.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
Looks like you're a sharp buyer and doin a lot of readings regarding different ECUs the GTR is a great car both for DD and some fun. I have a 2010 GTR, an 03 M3 turbo,and an 03 996 tt all with ProEfi ECM with flex fuel and a great tuner, nuff said. If u ended up buyin a GTR keep it around 650 awhp for longevity and reliability it's more than what u need on the street.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
^^^Whos your tuner bud? He must be really good and likes working with Pro Efi since you run it in 3 cars. :-)

And it seems like there are a few GTR owners here, is anyone on either of the 2 GTR forums?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Looks like you're a sharp buyer and doin a lot of readings regarding different ECUs the GTR is a great car both for DD and some fun. I have a 2010 GTR, an 03 M3 turbo,and an 03 996 tt all with ProEfi ECM with flex fuel and a great tuner, nuff said. If u ended up buyin a GTR keep it around 650 awhp for longevity and reliability it's more than what u need on the street.
Agreed! Thanks for the advice. I think ProEfi would best suite my application due to its simplicity and versatility. I'm also thinking of having the GT-R built by AMS. Any advice or experience with their work and products? With everything I have seen with AMS they have the GT-R dialed in perfect. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
My long block is at AMS right now. They are hands down AMAZING! I can put you in touch with Eric over there if you need. But it sounds like a build from them will be over the budget you wanted to stay with. If you are looking for power you described, just keep it super simple with bolt ons. Just find a good tuner for a custom tune. Tim Bailey might be the closest to you but himself and well as other can go email tuning with you. Which would be just fine at the power level you are trying to achieve. Good luck on the search bud.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM
My long block is at AMS right now. They are hands down AMAZING! I can put you in touch with Eric over there if you need. But it sounds like a build from them will be over the budget you wanted to stay with. If you are looking for power you described, just keep it super simple with bolt ons. Just find a good tuner for a custom tune. Tim Bailey might be the closest to you but himself and well as other can go email tuning with you. Which would be just fine at the power level you are trying to achieve. Good luck on the search bud.
Thanks man I appreciate it! If you don't mind me asking, how much is AMS doing your long block for you? I would love to build a GT-R from ground up so I'm not worried about adding more power when I want it and I wouldn't have to worry about stock internals taking more than they should.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Curt04
Thanks man I appreciate it! If you don't mind me asking, how much is AMS doing your long block for you? I would love to build a GT-R from ground up so I'm not worried about adding more power when I want it and I wouldn't have to worry about stock internals taking more than they should.
AMS is an awesome company and worth every penny. If this is your daily driving avoid a heavily modified car. I've had a dozen or so modified vehicles from several different tuners. Simple bolt on stuff has typically been reliable. Built engines, standalone ECU's, etc., can be quirky and problematic. Not always but often enough. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Evo650
AMS is an awesome company and worth every penny. If this is your daily driving avoid a heavily modified car. I've had a dozen or so modified vehicles from several different tuners. Simple bolt on stuff has typically been reliable. Built engines, standalone ECU's, etc., can be quirky and problematic. Not always but often enough. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.
I see your point. I would really like to have around 700whp on pump gas and run E85 when I want more power. I'm trying to figure a price for all the upgrades I would need for this build. I know I would have to put some money into the drivetrain to beef it up because I will be taking this on some trips and I want peace of mind that everything will hold up even if I launch and drag it.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Rackthis is infamous around these parts
^^^ I have NEVER heard of Cobb pulling power after a tune is installed. I personally know of mine plus 6 others locally that never have to do that. I know a whole bunch more of my friends over the country that don't have to do this as well. So I dont know what issue your buddy is running into.

And Pro Efi (Jason) is releasing there new version very soon. And yes Pro Efi worked really well in the Supra scene with true dummy proof flex fuel set up. There are only a few GTRs that are running flawlessly on Pro Efi.

Syveccs, I am not sure about true flex fuel. I never really cared since it so easy for me to change maps on my Cobb and if I decide to go Syveccs I dont "need" the true flex fuel ability. Its more of all the failsafes and how fast the unit works. And where I get my pump E85, I have ALWAYS get between E83-E85, most of the time its E84-E85. I know because in my Built Stroker Super I have a Ethanol content digital gauge.

Also for the OP. A bolt on GTR running E85 on a good tune will light up a 700whp Vette. :-) The GTR is a over al better car then any other car you have listed. I know from personal driving experience. Not just biased to the GTR. The only other fun car that I would look forward to buying is a 997 GT3RS.
It's not the Cobb pulling power, it the factory ecu that pulls it. Flashing a factory ecu when you want to make real power is never the best way. It will not make the proper adjustments on the fly. If you have to change maps according to the fuel you have in the tank is asking for a mistake. And just because you get e83-e85 at your pump, you can not assume that everyone will get that at their pump. That is just not the case.

If you are not sure the Syvecs has true flex fuel then how can you make a statement that the Syvecs is better hands down. There are no absolutes.