Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

What car should I get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Curt04 is infamous around these parts
What car should I get?

Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase something within the next couple months and I really need some help in deciding what to get. My budget is around 70 grand and I'm looking for something with some POWER but also everyday drivability. I'm torn between a couple of cars and any advice or experience with any of these would be greatly appreciated! Any other suggestions are welcome. Also, if you have any likes/dislikes about any of these I'm all ears.

1. GT-R: I've found some 2010 GT-Rs for around 65 grand with not too many miles on them. Leaves me about 5 grand to do some minor modding.

2. HPF Stage 3 M3: I can pick up a 2004-2006 E46 M3 for around 30 grand with medium amount of miles and take it to HPF and have them throw a Stage 3 turbo kit in it. The kit is 32 grand i believe without install. This would give me roughly 640whp on pump, 740whp on pump/meth, and about 800whp on race fuel/meth.

3. Evo X GSR: I could get a new 2012-13 for about 40 grand and I would do some major modding!! I would like to maybe push a realiable 700whp out of it.

4. Evo IX: A little hard to find some that aren't modded but I actually found some 2006 for around 27 grand with about 50k miles. Again, I would do some major modding to this and would really like to achieve a reliable 800whp. I've seen some that are setup for daily driving but I know that may be pushing it.

I really want something very powerful but also maintaining around-town drivability. Any of these would be my weekend car but I would also like to take it for a spin whenever i feel the urge As I said, any other suggestions that you all may have I'd like to hear them! Thanks for looking and I'm excited to hear your opinions!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 AM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
a GTR with 5G modding can lead you to a respectable 700 chp with flexfuel (midpipe, downpipes, intakes, injectors, ecutek flex fuel kit).

Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by jiaim
a GTR with 5G modding can lead you to a respectable 700 chp with flexfuel (midpipe, downpipes, intakes, injectors, ecutek flex fuel kit).
That sounds pretty nice! If I did get a GT-R I would love to be around 900whp but I know that would cost some CASH!!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
15k for a good package.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Comparing the R35 GTR to those other cars isn't really a fair fight. Of the cars you mentioned it's the only one actually designed and built to make big power (ie: 600+) without a sweat, and the large displacement motor, relatively speaking of course, allows you to use it as a daily driver with the fewest drawbacks.

Pushing 800 hp out of a 4G63 does not make for the worlds best daily driver, although it can certainly be done. My point is it's always best to start with the platform most in line with your overall goals, and the GTR is worlds better for this 600+ hp range than the other cars while allowing you to use it as a pretty normal car at the same time. As I said, it's in another league altogether when it comes to that stuff (power plus drive ability).

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 PM
GETU1 is infamous around these partsGETU1 is infamous around these parts
Dumping 32k into that e46 m3 that is worth ~25, Id have a hard time doing that, personally. GTR all the way in this case, best of both worlds.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by jiaim
15k for a good package.
Really?! I was thinking quite a bit more so thats some good news!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Comparing the R35 GTR to those other cars isn't really a fair fight. Of the cars you mentioned it's the only one actually designed and built to make big power (ie: 600+) without a sweat, and the large displacement motor, relatively speaking of course, allows you to use it as a daily driver with the fewest drawbacks.

Pushing 800 hp out of a 4G63 does not make for the worlds best daily driver, although it can certainly be done. My point is it's always best to start with the platform most in line with your overall goals, and the GTR is worlds better for this 600+ hp range than the other cars while allowing you to use it as a pretty normal car at the same time. As I said, it's in another league altogether when it comes to that stuff (power plus drive ability).

Good luck!
I agree that the GT-R is in a completely different league! Only thing is that I might not be able to mod it as much as I would like due to my budget but maybe little by little I can get there. Thanks Steve!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by GETU1
Dumping 32k into that e46 m3 that is worth ~25, Id have a hard time doing that, personally. GTR all the way in this case, best of both worlds.
Definitely see your point!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 PM
will175 is infamous around these parts
Out of the cars you mentioned, GTR hands down. And 15k aint going to get you in the 900 whp,lol. But keep it just bolt on running E85. Its still a really fast car and amazing daily.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by will175
Out of the cars you mentioned, GTR hands down. And 15k aint going to get you in the 900 whp,lol. But keep it just bolt on running E85. Its still a really fast car and amazing daily.
With full bolt ons do you think i could be getting in the 700whp range? Also, would it be fine running on stock internals?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
I owned a modified GTR (bot-ons) and didn't daily it, but definitely could have. Not sure about 700whp, but certainly above 600hp with E85. As far as all of your other options, my feeling is that you will never get the huge amount of "mod" money out of any of the other cars, where as, at least you have a solid platform in the GTR and will not have a ton of money into it, thus not losing your shirt on resale.
I loved my GTR, more than any other car I have owned, the only downside being the fit and finish of the interior. So, if I were to to driving the car every day, I would opt for something with a nicer interior, such as a BMW M6, Panamera, M5, etc. Not in the same category as what you are looking for, but just throwing out a counter point for thought.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Kevinw23
I owned a modified GTR (bot-ons) and didn't daily it, but definitely could have. Not sure about 700whp, but certainly above 600hp with E85. As far as all of your other options, my feeling is that you will never get the huge amount of "mod" money out of any of the other cars, where as, at least you have a solid platform in the GTR and will not have a ton of money into it, thus not losing your shirt on resale.
I loved my GTR, more than any other car I have owned, the only downside being the fit and finish of the interior. So, if I were to to driving the car every day, I would opt for something with a nicer interior, such as a BMW M6, Panamera, M5, etc. Not in the same category as what you are looking for, but just throwing out a counter point for thought.
Yeah I really like GT-Rs I would just really like to throw more money into it but considering a good used GT-R is around 65-70k it would be hard for me personally to throw more money out there to mod it how I want. I agree that the interior isn't the nicest but whatever car I get I don't know if I would be driving it everyday but I would definitely want to take it out whenever i want. I'm still looking into GT-Rs they are pretty much an affordable supercar haha I also like the e92 M3s but again with the modding. I really wish someone offered a turbo kit for these. The supercharger kits just aren't doing it for me. Thanks Kevin for your opinions and thoughts!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Rackthis is infamous around these parts
The GTR is an awesome car. Just beware of the maintenance. Price a brake job from the dealer. If they have to replace everything it will run you 10k plus. Transmission, 18k. Trans fluid change at the dealer $900. Oil change every 1700 miles.

To run E85, the only way to do it properly is with the Pro EFI from what I've seen and that will run around $3500.00 plus install and tuning.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:50 PM
will175 is infamous around these parts
I would not suggest Pro EFI for the OP. Keep it simple. Run Cobb AP. If you want more failsafes and a way better EMS go with Syvecs hands down. But be aware it will cost you a pretty penny. And Rackthis I know you are getting him dealer prices but, those are high. You can get yourself into a Carbon Ceramic front brake set up around that price. Since the GTR has come out there has been a lot of advancements in aftermarket support. But yes trans fluid is pricey. I paid I think $480 for my dodson trans fluid.

OP- I would not shoot for over 600 awhp on stock rods. But even at around that power that is a mid 10sec 1/4 mile car easily. And it will hold its own on roll racing. You could easily just throw piston and rods in the bottom end and be good for A LOT of power. The next failure point would be the trans, which is big money if you want bug power to hold. My trans costed me $26k. But there are options for around 7k that will hold a good amout of torque. I would just keep it simple. Throw piston and rods in there, do a small SIR turbo upgrade, you could wait on the trans and keep power low or go with Stg2/2.5 trans upgrade from shep or ssp. Simple two walbro 485s pumps, and some injectors (ID1000/2000, SIR injectors, etc), then get it tuned with Cobb. You will be faster then most things on the road with that super simple set up and still be daily friendly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What car should I get?