trapster - let's use this tool to document speed traps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
trapster - let's use this tool to document speed traps

http://www.trapster.com/rl/Trapster.php#

fellow 6speeder created it, i stole the link from the GT sub-forum, let's see if we can make this thing work for our area.

i haven't played w/ it yet but i'm sure we could make suggestions....

- chuck

Old 11-02-2007, 02:48 PM
eshaun is infamous around these partseshaun is infamous around these parts
Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM
petert is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eshaun
Hi Shaun, not really all that similar to Flagr.

Trapster is a GPS based mobile phone app and alert/notification system - you can use it now (i.e. you don't have to wait until there are 1M users in the Bay Area). Let's say you guys are going on a group drive... 30 cars. First guy gets a laser blip on his V1. Unfortunately it's too late for him because of instant-on, but he can punch in an alert and the other 29 get the warning (their phone beeps as they enter the area based on GPS in phone).

You can use it to remind yourself of usual hiding spots, red light cams, etc. too.

It also establishes confidence based on how many votes and who voted... so that over time the system learns... patent pending on the system and algorithms.

It also has a voice input (and SMS alert) feature in case you don't have a GPS phone. So it's a bit more than a point on a Frapr map.

Make sense?

I would love to have some feedback to make it work better for y'all up there.

It works on BlackBerry, Nokia N95, any Sprint phone that has Where.com, and I'm almost done with Windows Mobile (working on that today). More coming.

PS I entered a bunch of red light cams up that way, so it's gonna beep your mobile like crazy in SFO ... now I just need to put in a "shut off beep for red light cams" feature! :-)

Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
peter - thanks for taking the time to go into more detail...i meant that it reminded me of flagr, but after getting a moment to look around a bit (and add another pesky redlight cam), i think its a fantastic tool. Is it your venture?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I really hope people find it useful. Believe it or not, CHP and Sheriff actually like the idea (I know some senior guys down this way). It beeps, people slow down, ... expands their presence.

I don't know if I would call it a "venture", but it's one of my many projects for which I'm president, CEO, and janitor. Good news is that I'm never late to a meeting. ;-)

If you have a GPS phone, here's another car-related one of my projects that can be used for road rallies etc. www.jotyou.com.

Last edited by petert; 11-19-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 AM
In case anyone is interested in trying it, the Windows Mobile 5 version is posted. www.trapster.com/downloadurls.php

FYI this version also supports something called wireless positioning... it aims to provide the benefits of GPS for devices that have WiFi but no GPS. I bought an ATT Tilt and am testing around here. The wireless positioning seems to work pretty well around town, though it did not work very well on 5 up to LA auto show. I'd love to get some feedback on how it works in Bay Area (that has *got* to be the mother of all hot spot concentrations! :-) ). Tilt works flawlessly in GPS mode.

Sorry still no iPhone... of course I'll make one for iPhone as soon as they open it up for programming, but for now you can use iPhone with Trapster voice/SMS feature.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:02 PM
AMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond repute
very cool idea. I just signed up and downloaded it on my GPS enabled curve

Old 11-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by AMSMIKE
very cool idea. I just signed up and downloaded it on my GPS enabled curve
Sweet! ATT is selling the new GPS Curves now? Or what carrier? I knew those were coming, just didn't know they were already out.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:35 PM
AMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond reputeAMSMIKE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by petert
Sweet! ATT is selling the new GPS Curves now? Or what carrier? I knew those were coming, just didn't know they were already out.
yes its the 8310 ATT curve

Old 11-21-2007, 03:57 PM
ive used navizon on my iphone a few times and it works great, but no sense working on anything until the sdk is officially released in feb i believe

Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by eshaun
ive used navizon on my iphone a few times and it works great, but no sense working on anything until the sdk is officially released in feb i believe
I used Skyhook, but I looked at Navizon a while back too. Slightly different concept. The Skyhook guys actually drive around in trucks and sniff "ambient" WiFi - sort of the Google Street View brute force method. It's been released for XP/CE/WM for a while, plus they just released for Symbian/Mac/Vista.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 PM
In case you are interested ... I put together a little demo video of Trapster with Skyhook/WPS.

http://trapster.com/demo2.php

Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Well - not as much of a problem for me. I just know there are cops around anywhere near the MTK compound.