custom clothes - who do you use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:37 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
custom clothes - who do you use?

i'm quite tired of buying clothes from saks/barneys/insert_your_store_here.

jeans these days make everyone look like Bruce back in the 80s; i can't find a decent polo shirt to save my life; sweaters are gayer than the jeans; and i've outgrown my dress shirts.

i want to go completely custom - particularly jeans, polo shirts, sweaters, and dress shirts. and i want it to be quality.

do you have a tailor for your dress shirts? any recommendations for someone that can make custom jeans (i have a design already)? any one have a friend that's producing a clothing line that wants to do some extra work?

- chuck

Old 11-13-2007, 03:58 PM
MrTheKid is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by carendt242
i'm quite tired of buying clothes from saks/barneys/insert_your_store_here.

jeans these days make everyone look like Bruce back in the 80s; i can't find a decent polo shirt to save my life; sweaters are gayer than the jeans; and i've outgrown my dress shirts.

i want to go completely custom - particularly jeans, polo shirts, sweaters, and dress shirts. and i want it to be quality.

do you have a tailor for your dress shirts? any recommendations for someone that can make custom jeans (i have a design already)? any one have a friend that's producing a clothing line that wants to do some extra work?

- chuck
Wilkes Bashford trunk shows is how i roll for custom gear!!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Banned
vodkarocket is infamous around these parts
I have several sets of custom made slacks from Gucci- you choose the fabric, cut, fitment, etc.

You can visit Levi Strauss to get one-off jeans made from selvage denim.

As for button-up shirts, the most custom I can think of is Thomas Pink.

All 3 of of these stores are in Union Square.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:37 PM
are we the 3 gheyst NorCal 6Speeders?

def. probably seen more female tail between the 3 of us than all of 6 speed combined.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM
ipohopper is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MrTheKid

def. probably seen more female tail between the 3 of us than all of 6 speed combined.
If you end up getting the Stradale are you going to a rainbow flag stripe on it?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned
vodkarocket is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MrTheKid

True story.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:39 PM
schnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant futureschnellerm3 has a brilliant future
Why don't we start a shirt company. MTK can be the celebrity backing.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by schnellerm3
Why don't we start a shirt company. MTK can be the celebrity backing.
celeb = financial

Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
My "father in law to be" has an Italian mens boutique here in the DC area. He stocks the best of the best when it comes to brands , quality and fabrics. Kiton, Luigi Borelli, Stefano Ricci etc.... I just got my first custom shirt a Borelli not too long ago, fits like a glove, plus the little booklet with your name on it and those little touches impress me

Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM
UCrazyKid is infamous around these partsUCrazyKid is infamous around these parts
I use a Hong Kong Tailor. High quality, reasonable price but not a fancy "designer" (does come with my name embroidered inside though.) This if for shirts, slacks and suits. High quality fine Italian and Scottish wool. If you are interested I can pass on the information however I don't think it is probably "baller" enough for this crowd.

AA

Old 11-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Banned
RAW-MEAN is infamous around these parts
I would say trunk shows as MTK mentioned are the best I just had 3 Armani suits custom made to my measurements, the guy from Armani measured me , I picked the fabric and in 6 weeks, they were ready to PU. Can't do much better than custom Armanis. I am sure they will make you anything if you are willing to pay enough.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ipohopper
If you end up getting the Stradale are you going to a rainbow flag stripe on it?

I'm definitely not baller enough. Nordstrom's is expensive enough for me!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:08 PM
djmrsulu is a splendid one to beholddjmrsulu is a splendid one to beholddjmrsulu is a splendid one to beholddjmrsulu is a splendid one to beholddjmrsulu is a splendid one to beholddjmrsulu is a splendid one to beholddjmrsulu is a splendid one to behold
Depends on what you want custom-made. For suits, dress shirts, etc., you're better off checking out the trunk shows/made-to-measure events that are specific to a designer. Realistically, high-end fabric is either made in-house by a specific brand, or is sourced from just a handful of producers (e.g. Zegna or Kiton). You'd be surprised at how little difference there is in terms of cloth with a lot of the high-end brands, b/c more often than not they're buying it from the same few sources.

Casual wear (jeans, button up shirts with a bit more flair in terms of material and coloring/striping) is a bit more difficult IMO. For shirts, my secret is that I take off-the-rack (mostly Ted Baker, Hugo Boss, Versace & Gucci, with the occasional Diesel in the mix) and take it to my tailor for alterations. I get a custom-fit shirt without having to try and find the fabric/color/striping that I specifically want.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
thanks for the recs so far. dress shirts & suits are easy as others have mentioned - i'll just go to WB or Barneys for those needs.

jeans - i'm really sick of this 'tighter is better' mentality. i've got 1-2 old pair that are on their last legs, no pun intended, and i'd like to get a few copies made. anyone have any suggestions? (from what i understand, Levi's doesn't really tailor the cut, do they?)

sweaters - i've tried to find a tailor that will make these (again, i have old sweaters i want to copy.)

casual - the off-the-rack stuff isn't fitting right these days; everyone is tightening their cuts. this is probaby easier to find since there are a million wanna-be designers everywhere hoping to be the next True Religion.

(i have to say, i am surprised by the number of responses in this thread )

- chuck

Old 11-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Many of us are metro-sexual bordering on possibly paying for the other team

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: custom clothes - who do you use?