Bay Area Shops

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
Bay Area Shops

Anyone used RennShop in Santa Clara?. I see his online ads and stopped by his shop. The shop was spotless and empty. Clean is good, empty shop (no cars being worked on) is a bit odd.

Last edited by Steve's 996; 05-26-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rooks1556
Anyone used Rennshop in Santa Clara?. I see his online ads and stopped by his shop. The shop was spotless and empty. Clean is good, empty shop (no cars being worked on) is a bit odd.
Thank you

Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Tool Pants is infamous around these parts
I went by RennShop to check it out. It is owned by Marvin Weitz, who has worked for Stevens Creek Porsche and Carlsen. I sort of remembered Marvin from Stevens Creek since he worked next to Peter Smith.

I have been Boxstering for 9 years and know local mechanics, so I checked out Marvin and he checked out. Plus I spoke to Marvin and he knows his stuff. I also checked out his shop. He has most of the factory tools and a PST2.

My 1997 Boxster with 67,000 miles needed a clutch, which was done last week. While he was in there Marvin did a reseal and replaced the oil separator, known problem areas. Also replaced the fuel filter. It is like driving a new car.

My power steering rack has been leaking Pentosin for years. I bought another rack a year ago which has been sitting in my garage. This will be the next project for Marvin.

His shop is spotless because that is the way Marvin is. He cleaned my transmission and even the CV boots. Then my car!

A few days after the clutch replacement I met Marvin at the Parts Heaven swap meet in Hayward, and he has a following of customers. The economy is bad, gas prices are high, and Marvin just opened his shop in October. So he could use the business. Tell Marvin Jeff Lopez sent you.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8234.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	71265  

Last edited by Tool Pants; 06-06-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:03 AM
RennShop

Thanks for the information. I just wanted a review and now I've gotten one. He seemed genuine, smart and very competant. New to Porsches and did not want to make a wrong decision in choosing a repair shop. He will definetly get my business now, thanks.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:18 AM
kpratesa is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the recommendation on The RennShop in Santa Clara.

I called Marvin last week and he seemed very knowledgeable and was extremely helpful. I told him I just picked up my '07 997 C4S (6500mi) via private party and I didn't know the vehicle's history. I had a pre-purchase inspection done at Fletcher Jones in Fremont 2 months ago and the diagnostics all checked out. I was due for the yearly oil service, and several local dealers were recommending a 20k minor service... but I wasn't sure if anything more than an oil service was really necessary. Marvin explained every line item of a Porsche Minor Maintenance and, more importantly, talked through the inspection points that he really felt that I needed, given the condition and mileage of my C4S.

Today, Marvin performed the oil service and all but a couple of the items on a full Minor Maintenance. As expected his rates are a fraction of what dealers charge. As other's have mentioned on this thread - he runs a SPOTLESS shop. I have never seen a shop this clean in 30+ years. Good news travels fast and business seems to be picking up, but he was patient through the entire transaction and I never felt rushed. Marvin is completely thorough and takes pride in being ultra organized. The RennShop has definitely earned my business and, if you are looking for a trustworthy shop in the Bay Area, I would highly recommend The Rennshop.

Last edited by kpratesa; 08-05-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kpratesa

I called Marvin last week and he seemed very knowledgeable and was extremely helpful. I told him I just picked up my '07 997 C4S (6500mi) via private party and I didn't know the vehicle's history. I had a pre-purchase inspection done at Fletcher Jones in Fremont 2 months ago and the diagnostics all checked out. I was due for the yearly oil service, and several local dealers were recommending a 20k minor service... but I wasn't sure if anything more than an oil service was really necessary. Marvin explained every line item of a Porsche Minor Maintenance and, more importantly, talked through the inspection points that he really felt that I needed, given the condition and mileage of my C4S.

Today, Marvin performed the oil service and all but a couple of the items on a full Minor Maintenance. As expected his rates are a fraction of what dealers charge. As other's have mentioned on this thread - he runs a SPOTLESS shop. I have never seen a shop this clean in 30+ years. Good news travels fast and business seems to be picking up, but he was patient through the entire transaction and I never felt rushed. Marvin is completely thorough and takes pride in being ultra organized. The RennShop has definitely earned my business and, if you are looking for a trustworthy shop in the Bay Area, I would highly recommend The Rennshop.
Sounds like a great experience. Can you pass on what his general shop labor rate is?

thanks

Old 08-10-2008, 02:11 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kpratesa

Sounds like a great experience. Can you pass on what his general shop labor rate is?

thanks

Old 08-12-2008, 01:34 PM
swede_matt is infamous around these parts
I ran into Marvin at Santana Row a few weeks back and we ended up chatting for well over an hour. Marvin seems like a great guy, very knowledgable about P-cars and as someone stated above he used to work at Stevens Creek Porsche.

I'm taking my car to Marvin next time for service. He totally seemed like the detailed, honest, knowledgable type of guy I want to have working on my car.

And no, I'm not associated with Rennshop or Marvin at all.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:20 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
After reading this thread, I decided to give Marvin/The RennShop a try since my car's yearly service was up (I'm the type who takes chances). I have never met Marvin before and found that he is a really nice guy. Yesterday, he performed a minor (15000) service and found every little thing about my car; he is a very detail oriented kind of a guy. He found all the ECU codes from my car, explained them to me, reset them; oil change (and gave me the leftover for top off), tested boost... like I said... every little detail. I already have a tuner to work with, but Marvin will be my maintenance guy. And the price was very reasonable. I'm glad I read this thread.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:56 AM
ty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MY996TT
After reading this thread, I decided to give Marvin/The RennShop a try since my car's yearly service was up (I'm the type who takes chances). I have never met Marvin before and found that he is a really nice guy. Yesterday, he performed a minor (15000) service and found every little thing about my car; he is a very detail oriented kind of a guy. He found all the ECU codes from my car, explained them to me, reset them; oil change (and gave me the leftover for top off), tested boost... like I said... every little detail. I already have a tuner to work with, but Marvin will be my maintenance guy. And the price was very reasonable. I'm glad I read this thread.
It's always nice to know a good shop out there, I would give him a try next.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:40 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ty328
It's always nice to know a good shop out there, I would give him a try next.
Hey Tony, we missed you yesterday.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MY996TT
I took my car to Marvin as well. I talked to him on the phone first and found him to be friendly and knowledgeable - just the sort of guy I want working on my car.

As stated, the shop is very clean and Marvin is very easy to work with. He performed the minor service, thoroughly inspected my car and found all items that were known (and some that were not).

It was a pleasure working with Marvin and I'll continue to let him care for my P-Cars.

Rich

Old 12-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I just had an alternator installed by Jimmy @ Junipero Serra Auto Repair in Daly City today. Very nice clean shop with a 996TT and his own 993 there today. Labor rate is very fair @ $120/hr and he got me in quickly knowing I needed the help. Chatted more with him about upgrades and aftermarket stuff and said he does some of that as well as repairs/maintenance. Has done Protomotive tunes before so he is knowledgeable about that. Admitted he is a by the book type of guy and is Porsche trained. Jimmy is the owner, or one of them, and did his internship at Ruf. Very cordial guy and great experience. Nice shop easy access from peninsula or SF.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 PM
smj
smj is infamous around these parts
This is great to read, I just wish Marvin's shop were a little more convenient to Berkeley...

Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Breakthru is infamous around these parts
I can vouch for Jimmy @ Junipero Serra too. Knows his stuff and family owned business from years ago. I have brought my Mercedes, Audi and now my 996 to him as well.

They definitely specialize in Porsche.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Shops