Wheel powdercoating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 AM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Wheel powdercoating

Hi there,

I am currently running a set of HRE P43 19" on my 996tt. Contemplating whether to keep it in its stock silver finish, or get them powder-coated to matte black. Any local reference to shops?

Just want to get some price quote to see if I should bother taking that route, or sell my wheels and something else.

Thanks!!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Breakthru is infamous around these parts
West Coast Powercoating. I used them to powdercoat my bike. It came out awesome.

Here's a link to their yelp reviews, as they don't have a site:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/west-coast-p...-san-francisco

Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
while powder coating is superior to painting make sure your power coater can utilize the proper temps so the wheels are not weakened...you might want to pm Alan at HRE and get any suggestions he might have...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-hre_alan.html

Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks both.

Definitely will check with Alan as I never really think about the weakening of wheels as a result of powder coating.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:56 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
word of advice... just make sure you want "matte" black, i did mine in Matte finish and it came out horrible for some reason, and had to redo in a semi gloss grey finish and it looked way better. try to find some reference pics before you commit to it. good luck!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Actually, I "did" want matte black. As I have matte black finished wheels on my M3 and Mini Cooper...anyway, after checking out the HRE sites for P43, I should just stick with what HRE actually offer. Their site doesn't say much about the finish, but other sites that carry HRE called this satin black finish. I guess shinier than matte, but not exactly glossy (I don't want glossy black).

Take a look at the black ones below:

http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/monoblok/porsche/p43/

Anyway, let me call around and see how much to do this. If this costs over $1k, I think I might just sell the P43s and get something else.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
Best to send to us

It is always best to send to us (of course you knew that). We make sure we watch the time/temp for cure as you can easily overheat a forging if you're not careful or using an incorrect process. This can degrade the heat-treatment and cause a premature wheel failure.

BTW, our satin black is pretty nice. It is one of our internal favorites around here (starting to replace the long front runner, brush/clear). We also have a texture black which is rough to the touch but has a similar amount of shine. Neither are a gloss, but they still have a nice level of shine to them so it doesn't look like you rattle-canned it or anything like that. We did the satin black for our new Carbon series yesterday for a show in Monaco and we were all standing around with our mouths hanging open. Stunning.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by VSE Chuck
while powder coating is superior to painting make sure your power coater can utilize the proper temps so the wheels are not weakened----
I would suggest as well that this is very critical.

I don't favor heating a wheel, and the powder coat process can get quite warm.

Steel wheels are not a problem but cast and forged wheels give me great concerns.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
SG333 is infamous around these parts
Anyone know what ranges are acceptable for curing temperatures?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Hello Guys,

HRE_Alan wanted me to let you know that he is out of the country at this time and will address your posts as soon as he is able. He currently has very limited wifi access and is not able to get 6speed to load. He will return to the states the weekend of the 25th.

If anyone has any questions you can call me and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:27 PM
OSIKS4 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the reference! A buddy was asking about powder coating his current wheels today... Any feedback on "Wheel techniques"?

Originally Posted by Breakthru
West Coast Powercoating. I used them to powdercoat my bike. It came out awesome.

Here's a link to their yelp reviews, as they don't have a site:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/west-coast-p...-san-francisco