Porsche disses SF Auto Show

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:12 PM
calexand is infamous around these parts
Porsche disses SF Auto Show

I went to the San Francisco Auto Show last weekend, and was very surprised at Porsche's display. Last year they had a regular display, with unlocked cars so you could see how comfortable the Panamera is inside (front and back), sales reps, etc.

This year, they were back against a wall in a tiny little space, with just 4 vehicles: a Panamera, the previous 911 even though the new one is already shown in LA and elsewhere, a Cayman, and a Cayenne (the only one even unlocked). Not even a Boxster despite this being an area with beautiful convertible weather, and three of the four available about as thoroughly as if you saw them parked on the street and could just peek in the windows.

There were also no sales reps at all. I checked back several times on Sunday to see if anyone would show up, but no one did. This amazes me. I suspect that after Southern California and Miami, the SF Bay Area is their third biggest U.S. market, especially given all the money in Silicon Valley, but they made very little effort anyway. Really odd.

Chip

Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM
SevenSisters has a spectacular aura aboutSevenSisters has a spectacular aura aboutSevenSisters has a spectacular aura about
Perhaps they figured that having Rennsport Reunion down in Monterey was enough for this year?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:42 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
if it makes you feel any better, the Miami autoshow sucked too. no sign of the 991. Zwart's pikes peak gt2 was there and a 4.0 GT3 RS, but no one could even come close to the RS.

I guess it's all about LA this year...

Old 11-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
I found out how awesome the Panamera Turbo S was at the Sonoma County Porsche Aircraft Experience when I got to flog it around their fine little course.

After breaking the tail out on each and every corner (even out of the start) and finally bringing the car to rest back at the beginning, the Pro politely asked me to "Please get out."

Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
I found out how awesome the Panamera Turbo S was at the Sonoma County Porsche Aircraft Experience when I got to flog it around their fine little course.

After breaking the tail out on each and every corner (even out of the start) and finally bringing the car to rest back at the beginning, the Pro politely asked me to "Please get out."
I can picture that. I bet you were wearing a grin resembling the green one above when you looked over at the pro at the end of the lap, giving him his cue. Did you have to defeat traction control?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 PM
SevenSisters has a spectacular aura aboutSevenSisters has a spectacular aura aboutSevenSisters has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
the Pro politely asked me to "Please get out."
awesome!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Was Mercedes there? I didn't see them either.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM
You're right. Now that you mention it, I don't remember Mercedes being there either! I guess Porsche paid slightly more respect to my community than Mercedes then. BMW and Audi were there in full force, though.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I guess I won't try to get up to SF this weekend after all. Thanks for the head up.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by calexand
I went to the San Francisco Auto Show last weekend, and was very surprised at Porsche's display. Last year they had a regular display, with unlocked cars so you could see how comfortable the Panamera is inside (front and back), sales reps, etc.

This year, they were back against a wall in a tiny little space, with just 4 vehicles: a Panamera, the previous 911 even though the new one is already shown in LA and elsewhere, a Cayman, and a Cayenne (the only one even unlocked). Not even a Boxster despite this being an area with beautiful convertible weather, and three of the four available about as thoroughly as if you saw them parked on the street and could just peek in the windows.

There were also no sales reps at all. I checked back several times on Sunday to see if anyone would show up, but no one did. This amazes me. I suspect that after Southern California and Miami, the SF Bay Area is their third biggest U.S. market, especially given all the money in Silicon Valley, but they made very little effort anyway. Really odd.

Chip
Given that SF is ruled by a bunch of anti car-jihadist, I'm surprised Porsche or any other car maker (other than eco boxes) even shows up. The SF auto show sucked 10 years ago. It must be horrible now. Chances are they will eventually move the autoshow to the silicon valley were the customer base is.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Given that SF is ruled by a bunch of anti car-jihadist, I'm surprised Porsche or any other car maker (other than eco boxes) even shows up. The SF auto show sucked 10 years ago. It must be horrible now. Chances are they will eventually move the autoshow to the silicon valley were the customer base is.
There already is a San Jose Auto Show. It tends to be worse than the San Francisco one.

Chip

Old 11-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Ttuned is infamous around these parts
Nothing turbo? +1 on getting dissed! I am form chicago, so when i went to the phx show i felt the same way. MBZ wasnt even there.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Ttuned
Nothing turbo? +1 on getting dissed! I am form chicago, so when i went to the phx show i felt the same way. MBZ wasnt even there.
The Panamera was a turbo. The 911 was the GTS. Which specific version they had there locked up and inaccessible wasn't the issue.

Interesting that Mercedes is abandoning multiple shows. I bet someone said "that's not how we get our real customers anyway, let's save the money". But I don't think it will prove to be a good plan, especially when Audi and BMW are there without them.

Chip

Last edited by calexand; 11-23-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:16 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
The Orange County Auto show sucked too. All the Porsches were from a local dealer and roped off. No 991...Only hardtop and convertible GTS'. Went to the LA show this week and Porsche had their own room. Great lighting for pics and both 991 launch models!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Originally Posted by calexand
I can picture that. I bet you were wearing a grin resembling the green one above when you looked over at the pro at the end of the lap, giving him his cue. Did you have to defeat traction control?
Sorry, I didn't mean to miss this, yes and he was none too happy that I found that button without him seeing me push it.

A man has got to do what a man has got to do!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche disses SF Auto Show