NJ Collector car status...NJ owners take a look

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
NJ Collector car status...NJ owners take a look

Guys,

I know many of my friends with Supras have done this so was looking into it for us.

In regards to inspections, I'm sure most of us have needed to deal with tint/no front plate issues/mod issues. What collector car status allows us to do, is bypass going through normal inspections since the cars would be for "limited" use. NJ classifies this as <3k miles a year.

Attached is what's needed:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspectio...clesExempt.htm

Collector vehicles
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:
  • Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
  • Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
  • Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To qualify for an exemption:
  • Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew
  • Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
  • You must provide approval letter from the MVC I/M Support. Vehicle must be prequalified as a collector vehicle
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle is:
  • A limited production vehicle or a vehicle made in limited quantities
  • Less than 25 years old
  • Not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
  • Not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
  • Insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
Everything is easy other than getting the statement of production. Does anyone know if a official from our regional PCA can send us something stating production? I know for a 01 TT, the production was ~ 2400. The magical number for NJ appears to be 2500.

For those who qualify, we wouldn't need to worry about removing tint, driving without a front plate, or things like exhaust.

Just an idea!

Jack

Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
emturbo has a spectacular aura aboutemturbo has a spectacular aura about
great find. I had just been registering it in Florida under my parents vacation home address. Do they still inspect the vehichle every year to make sure it stays under 3k miles per year? I didn' see anything mentioned on the link.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:22 AM
slicknickis3 is infamous around these parts
Not a bad idea, but I'd hate to be limited to 3k miles per year on a car I own and should be able to drive where/when I wish.

If you don't drive your car much then I guess it's not a bad idea. If you're like me and drive A LOT, you're better off finding a private inspection site that tends to "overlook" things like tint, plates and mods.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:07 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by emturbo
great find. I had just been registering it in Florida under my parents vacation home address. Do they still inspect the vehichle every year to make sure it stays under 3k miles per year? I didn' see anything mentioned on the link.
The renew is every 2 years. If you are like me and ends up trading around after 1 year, it'll be OK. Also, I truely only put around 2-3k miles in a year.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 PM
saleen93-11 is infamous around these parts
I have this on my Saleen. All they look at is the odometer. I now have straight pipes and could care less about emissions! The sticker is a triangle shape.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
nice. glad to hear from people that have this.

Do they require the front plate? ie - what if i get pulled over? will this get me out of having to drill the bumper or will i still get a "fix it ticket"?

Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 PM
nice. glad to hear from people that have this.

Do they require the front plate? ie - what if i get pulled over? will this get me out of having to drill the bumper or will i still get a "fix it ticket"?

Thanks again.
No, if you take a look at the inspection process for "collector" car status, they only require u to drive 1 mile and come back so they can ensure your odometer works...

I know of people who have gotten off for no front plate/tint/off road exhaust.

Now the question is, how can we get a recognized car club to send us a letter stating our production?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:32 PM
55fanatic is infamous around these parts
does New Jersey accept inspections from other states? a couple years ago I had a customer from I think North Carolina or Georgia or something who was going to school in Boston... Car was still registered in NC... but they accepted the MA inspection as there own... If NJ did the same... just travel to another state where they wouldnt check those items... I mentioned it on M3forum but no one over there knew the inspection laws... I would be able to help some of you out, you would just need to come up to Boston, lol

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 AM
^ unfortunately i dont think that would work for NJ...

With the collector car status, we'd also be doing it legit (altho one can argue that the whole tint/front plate issue is pretty wacky in the first place)

Anyone local involved heavily with PCA that could help us out? Here is a thread by a mod showing his compliation.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-gt2-gt3.html

We would just need something on paper versus on a forum post...

Old 01-26-2009, 06:30 PM
BierGut is a jewel in the roughBierGut is a jewel in the roughBierGut is a jewel in the roughBierGut is a jewel in the rough
Hi guys …

Sorry to burst your bubble, but …

You must provide approval letter from the MVC I/M Support

Jersey has caught on to this type of “go-around” and they now require the owner to gain approval through a committee at the commission in Trenton. Your vehicle application will be reviewed by a panel down at the state capital and the reason is -- they want to make certain the cars approved for collector status are just that, true, limited use collectors and not track modded 911s with no cat and muffler.

This change was instituted as of September 1, 2007.

If you have heard of recent guys getting the exemption, it’s most likely a “local wife’s tale” unless it was true collector vehicle according to regulations and rest assured, it’s been reviewed by the commission.

I just sold a 1990 911 that had collector status and during my last renewal, they informed me that the 964 was grandfathered, however, they also warned me that if I ever allowed the vehicles status to lapse, I’d be subject to the new approval process.

The “limited number” angle has also been taken into account with this committee as well as they realize certain marques just produced fewer numbers than others on high end cars, i.e. – any normal late model 911 Turbo is not getting the exemption.

After the commission’s review, which includes pictures you must supply, the applicant will receive a letter with an approval, denial or request for more information.

Someone mentioned the decal correctly as a triangle. You first have to buy a voucher at the local MVC office, then go to the inspection station with voucher AND the approval letter (with raised seal of course) and after they verify the car’s odo works, they issue the decal for 2 years and 6k miles.

Someone asked about the front plate … the car is still required to have the front plate. Collector vehicles are subject to all applicable equipment requirements for the year of manufacture and although not subject to inspection, they can be issued a summons for equipment violations if not maintained. (ask me how I know)

It sucks, but it was only a matter of time before Trenton closed the loophole. Guess we just have to now wait for our cars to grow old.

-BierGut

Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks BierGut. Looks like i'll be keeping the florida tags...

Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 AM
BierGut is a jewel in the roughBierGut is a jewel in the roughBierGut is a jewel in the roughBierGut is a jewel in the rough
Thanks BierGut. Looks like i'll be keeping the florida tags...
Then you don't have to worry about the stupid front plate. Troops here shouldn't give a crap about FLA motor vehicle laws. At the risk of jinxing myself ... I've been driving around with the 996TT sans a front bumper for awhile and have yet been pulled over. (watch the next time out ... ha ha)

Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Guys,

Take a look at this thread from Supraforums (mods, if no links are allowed, please edit, just figured anything non-porsche related would be ok)

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=497873

This is the sticky on SF...the poster did this in 2008 so yes, he had to follow the new 2007 law. But again, the screening process is based off of a letter of production, limited-use insurance, and then pictures.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by s14roller
But again, the screening process is based off of a letter of production
And this is the hard part... I wish anyone good luck getting this letter or certificate with a normal Porsche such as 996TT, 996, Boxster, etc. Might stand a shot with a GT2 or GT3. Also, what I did not mention is that the collector car insurance can be very restrictive. My American Collectors policy allowed 5k miles per year, however, in the event of an accident, I was told they would investigate where I was driving to and from with the car. The policy states usage as a.) used for: exhibitions; club activities; parades; or other functions of public interest, b.) not used for general transportation and c.) driven no more than 5k per year.

I had also covered the 964 with track insurance as the collectors policy would absolutely not allow any on-track stuff club or not.

So in the end, if anyone needs to use the car for any type of primary transportation it’s just not worth the risks. In my case, the car was a 4th vehicle used only as a toy. I enjoyed not having to worry about getting the inspections and certainly $300 a year to insure was a nice little break, but not worth laying my ***** on the line if it were a car I needed or had any type of loan out on it.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Francesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to beholdFrancesco is a splendid one to behold
Great information. Thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NJ Collector car status...NJ owners take a look