HELP! recall letter for canadians

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Former Vendor
roytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by whtrabt
Gareeb....you think you can help me out? I already have the car in Canada and the local dealers are being real A#%^#$ about getting me the letter. Basically he said he has to do a full inspection and then anything he finds I will have to fix through them. And he laughingly said to me over the phone "and I always find something wrong". I don't see how he needs to do an inspection for a recall letter. And they're not even allowed to do the final federal inspection so he really has no say in what I have to change and by who. That's the job of the federal inspection place and only one place is allowed to do it up here in Canada. So I don't want to bring it to them as he is the service manager and knows all my info and we only have one dealer in the city. Let me know if you guys can help me out. I can send the VIN and get the letter faxed? Let me know.

Max
Not going to happen...UNLESS you want to spend CLOSE to what it would havecost to buy their car..like $5-$7K...then you MAYget the recall letter, but then youstill have to go to like Canadian Tire for your final inspection...even more money..

I have been telling my Canadian freinds for MONTHS this was going to happen, but noone wanted to listen to me...

orry for your troubles...I would be gone with it and take the small loss now, and go on with you life..

Old 08-31-2009, 09:17 PM
whtrabt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by roytoy2003

It was bound to happen, they cant survive up there if all you do is come down here and get a car at 30 and 40% lower price..

Roy Cats
I agree but I thought we lived in a free market? I somewhat agree if the car is new. Even then, if they are cheaper in the US then maybe they should lower their prices to keep Canadian buyers?

In my case I am talking about a 2000 Carerra. It's 9 years old and out of warrenty. Why should Porsche care? If anything I am bringing a car into the market where they can make more money through service etc. If not who cares? I would definitely not buy a used Porsche from them; I would buy one privately. So what is the difference if I buy one privately from a Canadian or American? I still wouldn't bring it to them for service either way. Sure they made money on the Canadian from the initial sale but that is about the only difference. Aside from the initial markup why would they even care about importing used cars?? For new ones I can see that they lose money. But for old ones??? I just find this absolutely ridiculous. And you know what, if the inspection was the only thing I would gladly get it done and pay the $1250. Unfortunately I don't like their extortion attitude where 'they always find something wrong'. And they won't release the car until I pay? WTF is up with that? Who gives them the right to hold my car and do unecessary work? That is very spiteful thinking.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Former Vendor
roytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Not going to happen...UNLESS you want to spend CLOSE to what it would havecost to buy their car..like $5-$7K...then you MAYget the recall letter, but then youstill have to go to like Canadian Tire for your final inspection...even more money..

I have been telling my Canadian freinds for MONTHS this was going to happen, but noone wanted to listen to me...

orry for your troubles...I would be gone with it and take the small loss now, and go on with you life..
They sell USED cars as well...and as hard as it to accept...
I must say if the shoe was on the other foot...USA against Canada.. I would fight as hard as they have to keep my customer base and secure my market as well...it is a fact of life and business.

Seriously what do you do and selll, would you not protect your market or skills if a person can just go across the line and get the same thing for 40% less..?

We all need to take care of our familys and feed our children...

You could always move to the USA>..but then it would be about the same as our Fed Income tax is higher and we do not have nationalized Health care at the fraction of the cost as in the USA like Canada..and we have to my GUNS...give and ake world we live in..

The GRASS is always GREENER on the other side...so they say.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
[quote=roytoy2003;2523249]They sell USED cars as well...and as hard as it to accept...
I must say if the shoe was on the other foot...USA against Canada.. I would fight as hard as they have to keep my customer base and secure my market as well...it is a fact of life and business.

Seriously what do you do and selll, would you not protect your market or skills if a person can just go across the line and get the same thing for 40% less..?

[\quote]

Of course you agree with them you are a dealer!! Funny how they/you would do anything to stop market differences EXCEPT the most basic Economic principle and LOWER PRICES!! If you can't compete then there is something wrong with YOUR business.

And it's funny how they can take advantage of the lower prices. There are many used US cars on CAD lots for get this.....THE SAME PRICE as CAD used cars. Funny.

They spend all this time and money to SCREW POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS rather then trying to get them.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Former Vendor
[quote=whtrabt;2524007]
They sell USED cars as well...and as hard as it to accept...

[\quote]

Of course you agree with them you are a dealer!! Funny how they/you would do anything to stop market differences EXCEPT the most basic Economic principle and LOWER PRICES!! If you can't compete then there is something wrong with YOUR business.

And it's funny how they can take advantage of the lower prices. There are many used US cars on CAD lots for get this.....THE SAME PRICE as CAD used cars. Funny.

They spend all this time and money to SCREW POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS rather then trying to get them.
Sorry you fell that way...BUT you forget one thing, THE two countrys are different econemys with differnt cash values, so of course it IS NOT the same as competing in the same open market...which Canadian Dealers do all day long in their country and I do with other Dealers ALL day long in my country the USA.

I agree with you it is in-correct for a Canadian Dealer to buy LOW in USA and sell HIGH in Canada at their prices, BUT that is YOUR fault not MINE, as a "Dealer". You could do many things to change other than complain here.

1) JUST not buy the cars from them

2) Vote different people in office up there to change the rules/laws

But for you to LUMP me in with "of course your a Dealer" is un-fair as you do not know me...and I can tell you I MORE than help and take care of my customers in MY COUNTRY as well as attempt what I can in YOUR COUNTRY...

BUT, I think you are know just crying...you want ALL the benefits of your country as I pointed out earlier and the best of ours as well...YOU CAN not pick the best of two Dinner PLATES and expect to pay the same for one Diner...that is just life, IT IS BUSINESS!

And of course you did not tell us what you do to survive up there..BUT I can guarnatee what ever it is and if it was as the cars are to your industry you would be doing the same as any business owner to survive and feed their family....

AND if you think that is not true and you would not do it...

Well you sir are LYING to yourslef and all of us./....OF COURSE YOU WOULD.

So NOW I guess we are BOTH LUMPED into a category together...how does it feel...?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I don't know what to say Roy. That was beautiful!!!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Well you'd be amazed at how similar the two economies really are. And even then the point of duties and tariffs is to equal out the markets. Again basic economic principles. Sorry but who we vote won't affect dealers trying to screw people over.

My point is that it is PLAIN WRONG for a dealership to hold a car HOSTAGE with a $7000 bill and 6 month wait for something that they have no say over. Example: They have no authority to say that the sun visors need to be ordered by porsche and you need to wait 6 months. Why? Well because that job has been delegated to Canadian Tire which says a sticker with french wording is sufficient. Funny how Porsche has no jurisdiction to say WHAT MEETS FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS yet they are HOLDING PEOPLES CARS HOSTAGE for unnecessary work. IE tires. This is PLAIN EXTORTION!!!! That is my problem. Like I SAID BEFORE I have no problem with paying their $1250 fee to equal out the prices between the two countries BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEIR UNETHICAL TREATMENT AND EXTORTIONIST BEHAVIOURS. Maybe you are not fully aware of the policies and procedures of importing a car into Canada thus you can't really see what is wrong with Porsches policies.

Did you know that RIV the FEDERALLY APPOINTED ORGANIZATION TO HANDLE US IMPORTS was approached my Porsche to sign a contract saying that a dealer stamped recall letter WOULD NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED?? Well RIV declined because they seemed it as unfair. So a letter is STILL ACCEPTED but Porsche Canada has told all dealers to NOT ISSUE IT.

And is this what you are talking about????

You could always move to the USA>..but then it would be about the same as our Fed Income tax is higher and we do not have nationalized Health care at the fraction of the cost as in the USA like Canada..and we have to my GUNS...give and ake world we live in..

The GRASS is always GREENER on the other side...so they say.
In that case you are VERY MISINFORMED. Maybe you should try reading a book and not believing every word some one sided propagandist like Micheal Moore portrays in his Docudramas like Sicko. I have $50 a week deducted from my pay check and my company also pays a portion to have health coverage. Yes everyone does have basic coverage. But guess what? With that you still have EXTREMELY LONG line ups. People have DIED IN EMERGENCY ROOMS waiting for care. If you don't have other insurance guess what.....that Ambulance that brought you to the ER will cost you big $$$$. So basic insurance gets you just that....the basics.

And higher taxes?? I pay 40% between federal and provincial income taxes combined. Some provinces are more. And you know that mortgage that you guys can deduct? Well we can't. That is a HUGE advantage you have down there. With housing prices rivalling California's and mortgages as high as they are that WOULD PLAY A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN MY YEARLY TAXES!!

And guns?? We have just as many guns up here. We have gang wars and shootings and murders every other weekend. The last 5 years has been crazy. Again, don't believe Micheal Moore..........we haven't been able to keep our doors unlocked in over 15 years!

So maybe you need to be a little more informed

Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Roy I think Ferrari has been doing this for a few months now in the Great White north. One of the guys on the Cannon run tried to get a 430 spider up there and had to re-sell the thing I believe.

On the business side "hack and cough" I TOTALLY agree with everything Roy has stated.....and he likes Lambo's

Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Former Vendor
Well you'd be amazed at how similar the two economies really are. And even then the point of duties and tariffs is to equal out the markets. Again basic economic principles. Sorry but who we vote won't affect dealers trying to screw people over.

My point is that it is PLAIN WRONG for a dealership to hold a car HOSTAGE with a $7000 bill and 6 month wait for something that they have no say over. Example: They have no authority to say that the sun visors need to be ordered by porsche and you need to wait 6 months. Why? Well because that job has been delegated to Canadian Tire which says a sticker with french wording is sufficient. Funny how Porsche has no jurisdiction to say WHAT MEETS FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS yet they are HOLDING PEOPLES CARS HOSTAGE for unnecessary work. IE tires. This is PLAIN EXTORTION!!!! That is my problem. Like I SAID BEFORE I have no problem with paying their $1250 fee to equal out the prices between the two countries BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEIR UNETHICAL TREATMENT AND EXTORTIONIST BEHAVIOURS. Maybe you are not fully aware of the policies and procedures of importing a car into Canada thus you can't really see what is wrong with Porsches policies.

Did you know that RIV the FEDERALLY APPOINTED ORGANIZATION TO HANDLE US IMPORTS was approached my Porsche to sign a contract saying that a dealer stamped recall letter WOULD NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED?? Well RIV declined because they seemed it as unfair. So a letter is STILL ACCEPTED but Porsche Canada has told all dealers to NOT ISSUE IT.

And is this what you are talking about????

In that case you are VERY MISINFORMED. Maybe you should try reading a book and not believing every word some one sided propagandist like Micheal Moore portrays in his Docudramas like Sicko. I have $50 a week deducted from my pay check and my company also pays a portion to have health coverage. Yes everyone does have basic coverage. But guess what? With that you still have EXTREMELY LONG line ups. People have DIED IN EMERGENCY ROOMS waiting for care. If you don't have other insurance guess what.....that Ambulance that brought you to the ER will cost you big $$$$. So basic insurance gets you just that....the basics.

And higher taxes?? I pay 40% between federal and provincial income taxes combined. Some provinces are more. And you know that mortgage that you guys can deduct? Well we can't. That is a HUGE advantage you have down there. With housing prices rivalling California's and mortgages as high as they are that WOULD PLAY A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN MY YEARLY TAXES!!

And guns?? We have just as many guns up here. We have gang wars and shootings and murders every other weekend. The last 5 years has been crazy. Again, don't believe Micheal Moore..........we haven't been able to keep our doors unlocked in over 15 years!

So maybe you need to be a little more informed
OMG that is so BAD WHEN do you want to move down here?

I can sponser you at my place for at least 3 days..?

Old 09-26-2009, 01:26 AM
JamesSimpson is infamous around these parts
I am not sure how old this thread is but I was directed here by someone on f-chat as it seems like you guy's have gotten yourselves in a situation that could have easily been avoided.
I will go through everyones posts and respond 1 by 1 I guess is the best way.

But to answer the O.P you are NOT screwed and as I do this for a living I can't tell you how to do it but I can tell you that you are ok and it's very very easy to fix.
I don't want to put my phone number/email etc as I'm not a sponsor but maybe after being a member here for a while people will cut me some slack

Old 09-26-2009, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by pumalex
this is what i did, i contacted Porsche USA and they took my VIN and all my info, as if they were going to send me the paper and then they said, sorry, we don't give those letter anymore. We now have your VIN so you won't be able to import your car to Canada. I will try to see with a dealership in the states but i am afraid they won't want to give me that letter since Porsche USA wrote down in their system not to give me the letter.

I don't know why they did this to you especially at the last minute but the first step would be to call Porsche N.A asking what in particular has made you car unadmissable and unless it's a euro car imported imported into the states then it's 100% admissable.
You guy's need to realize that sometimes cutting corners doesn't always pay off and theres people out there like me and plent of others who do this for a living and for whatever they(me) might charge could help you avoid situations like this in the future.
I'm failry confident I could get you what you need.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by guy1755
Hi!

I have the same problem with the recall letter from Porsche. Since october 2007, have you found a way to get the letter, so will be out of that ****?

Thanks,

Guy

Certain cars like F-cars actually do not even need a recall letter, again should be a situation thats easily fixed.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:33 AM
Gareeb....you think you can help me out? I already have the car in Canada and the local dealers are being real A#%^#$ about getting me the letter. Basically he said he has to do a full inspection and then anything he finds I will have to fix through them. And he laughingly said to me over the phone "and I always find something wrong". I don't see how he needs to do an inspection for a recall letter. And they're not even allowed to do the final federal inspection so he really has no say in what I have to change and by who. That's the job of the federal inspection place and only one place is allowed to do it up here in Canada. So I don't want to bring it to them as he is the service manager and knows all my info and we only have one dealer in the city. Let me know if you guys can help me out. I can send the VIN and get the letter faxed? Let me know.

Max

Max, from your post this guy is obviously a bitter a-hole...you DO NOT have to bring ANY car except mercedes and maybe beemers to an authourized dealer unless they require a speedo change which has to be signed off by a cdn rep for the manufacturer.
Who and when was the car bought from?

Old 09-26-2009, 01:35 AM
HATE to say it...BUT you are probably the first un-lucky one.!

Porsche as well as Lamborghini (the first to do it) and soon tobe followed by Ferrari and many other high end car companys WILL NOT allow their US Dealer to provide a recall letter.

WHY?

Very Very SIMPLE...M O N E Y !!

The Up north Dealers can NOT compete withthe current USA prices..and in ALL DEALER agreements there is a portion that specificaly SPELLS out that ONLY the FACTORY may authorize a Dealer to perfrom and PROVIDE the recall letter.

Just recently LAMBORGHINI Dealers in USA where AGAIN advised that THEY CAN NOT provide the recall letter and of course the North guys WONT and DONT want to give you, or ask the factory to provide one as they want to sell THEIR cars.

IN PART...the letter that has gone out to Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, VW and as I have been told with in days to Ferrari reads:

"Be aware that Canada LAW requires a written conformation from the MANUFACTURER to certify that a vehicle in question complies with the E.P.A./D.O.T. and is cleared for recall......We the FACTORY shall not provide these recall letters to for Canadian customers purchasing USA cars.......WE consider any involvement in such as a violation of your DEALER agreement and RESERVE the right to take legal action as well as civil damages against any USA Dealer that makes the recall letter available"

It was bound to happen, they cant survive up there if all you do is come down here and get a car at 30 and 40% lower price..

If you can, sell it back in the USA...

Roy Cats

Roy is somewhat right BUT the proper people have forseen this and giving us hard working people an easier way of doing things which avoids having to deal with cdn dealers all together and has it now so that a actual "letter" is not required but something else that I won't say is acceptable in leiu of the recall clearance letter.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 AM
I agree but I thought we lived in a free market? I somewhat agree if the car is new. Even then, if they are cheaper in the US then maybe they should lower their prices to keep Canadian buyers?

In my case I am talking about a 2000 Carerra. It's 9 years old and out of warrenty. Why should Porsche care? If anything I am bringing a car into the market where they can make more money through service etc. If not who cares? I would definitely not buy a used Porsche from them; I would buy one privately. So what is the difference if I buy one privately from a Canadian or American? I still wouldn't bring it to them for service either way. Sure they made money on the Canadian from the initial sale but that is about the only difference. Aside from the initial markup why would they even care about importing used cars?? For new ones I can see that they lose money. But for old ones??? I just find this absolutely ridiculous. And you know what, if the inspection was the only thing I would gladly get it done and pay the $1250. Unfortunately I don't like their extortion attitude where 'they always find something wrong'. And they won't release the car until I pay? WTF is up with that? Who gives them the right to hold my car and do unecessary work? That is very spiteful thinking.

He is outright LYING to you and am quite suprised to hear it coming from a porsche dealer as it's usually coming from a ferrari dealers mouth but as i said it's a LIE and tell him to get bent and HIRE SOMEONE who knows WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!! an actual LETTER is not required anymore for most makes/models, and as I said before I can't tell you but it's fairly easy to get.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! recall letter for canadians