Tire Damage Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Tire Damage Question

Well after a long grueling day of corporate meetings yesterday which extended late into the day, I left work just wanting to go home. Well, that didn't happen. I got in my car to be greeted with a low tire pressure warning light and within minutes a FLAT TIRE warning light! Eeek! I was near a gas station in SoDo where a really creepy scary looking guy with brown teeth (the ones he had left - I had no choice), helped me inflate the tire so I could get to the eastside. (I gave him a Starbucks card to keep him happy). When I got to Barrier just before closing, they pulled a "Rivet" (whatever that is, it looked like a giant screw) out of my front tire, but not the sidewall. They were very helpful and took care of me in five minutes. They plugged the tire but told me I would have to buy a new one because its not safe to drive at high speeds with a plugged tire (they know me well). I went ahead and ordered one which will be here Monday, but was just curious why do you have to replace the tire if they can plug it? This is probably a stupid question, but I would appreciate you humoring me with your knowledge that I don't possess about this sort of thing. Thank you my friends! My tire only had 1400 miles on it

Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Greta
They simply have to tell you to buy new tire to avoid any future liability.
Your Z-rate tires have low profiles and less meat than then your average other rated ones. At high speed tires expand w/ increase temperatures making the plug size larger and more prone to microleakage. Like a balloon effect.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 PM
MikeyMike is infamous around these parts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

A punctured speed rated tire brings with it additional considerations. While some tire manufacturers "allow" a tire to retain its speed rating if a specified multi-step repair procedure is followed exactly, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the damage caused by the puncture or the quality of the repair, they cannot confirm that the tire has retained its high speed capability. Therefore, their policy is that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire.
Hope that helps.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Hobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really niceHobby Logger is just really nice
Greta, theres no way I would have pluged tire on a Porsche, but to even consider it on a 2008 997 turbo just doesn't sense to me. Please don't give that idea anymore thought.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
For public road driving, you can patch it. This requires the tire to be taken off and patched on the inside. This is ok if you don't do any track days or extreme high speed / stress driving.

If you want to be absolutely sure and safe, get a new tire.

Being a cheapo and environmentalist that I am.... I patched mine.... nvr a problem....

Old 06-07-2008, 08:22 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
For public road driving, you can patch it. This requires the tire to be taken off and patched on the inside. This is ok if you don't do any track days or extreme high speed / stress driving.

If you want to be absolutely sure and safe, get a new tire.

Being a cheapo and environmentalist that I am.... I patched mine.... nvr a problem....
This advise is sound. The caveat here is that the tire A: is plugged on the treadcap and not the sidewall, and B: that it's pulled from the rim and patched from the inside using a plug with a patch over it. Plugs applied from the outside only are not a good patch.

A good plug has adhesive on the underside of the cap. They are sometimes called mushroom plugs because of their shape:

I would patch it and keep an eye on it. These tires are too expensive to just scrap if they can be saved.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 06-07-2008, 08:35 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
sorry about your tire greta! i'm just happy you got out of the gas station all safe and sound! =)

Old 06-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
After a tire has been repaired, they no longer carry a speed rating. If you plan on driving that car more than just to the grocery store and back, better buy a new one. That plug is the weak link in your tire right now. Even if the tire itself doesn't leak air, water can sometimes pass inside and rust the steel cords inside the tire and cause a bulge. Barrier did the right thing.

John

Old 06-07-2008, 06:36 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for all the good information. I just wanted to be sure - my tire will be here Monday or Tuesday. Don't want to take any risks, but didn't want to waste money either if it was not necessary. I'll have to watch for screws and nails more carefully - have no idea where I picked it up.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Not too long after I got my car, I got a nail in one of my tires but fortunately for me it didn't go all the way through. The tech at Barrier took it out and told me it'd be okay for me to continue driving. I eventually had to get all new tires when the original tires got worn down.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure they plugged it & not a patch?

I have driven on patched tires for a while, even a patch on a track tire, it was fine, till they corded.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:45 PM
^^^no, they plugged it - I watched him.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:53 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
I remember when I first learned how to plug a tire in high school shop class. It was fun

Old 06-09-2008, 12:07 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Greta Your White Car Floats Through The Air Like All White Cars So The Tires Don't Matter Unless It's Parked.

They Are Like Angels Floating Down The Road

Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, right, Mark?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Damage Question