Any interest in a omakase Japanese dinner in portland on a saturday in september

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Grouse is infamous around these parts
Any interest in a omakase Japanese dinner in portland on a saturday in september

I am thinking of planning a japanese dinner GTG in portland for one saturday evening in september. I am very good friends with an owner of a resteraunt in Beaverton. I dined there 3-4 times a week for 4 years. Depending on the interest I can probably convince him to do omakase for the entire party. (depending on size) . I have at least 4 people already. As i get closer and pick a saturday (13th does not work for me) along with estimated numbers of patrons and guests I will assemble costs, maps, and all other details.

"Omakase" is short for "omakase shimasu", which means roughly, "I trust you [the chef]." In its American food usage, it's mistakenly interpreted as a tasting menu at a sushi restaurant, but it's deeper than that.

It means you're placing what courses come out to the chef's judgment, based on 1. what he's got that day that's really good and 2. his rapport with you and your preferences on what you find delicious or not. Your prior relationship with the chef (if any), his ESP-like ability to read your reactions to his food, are all part of his skill in delivering an outstanding (or not) experience. The chef can adjust which courses he serves based on that immediate feedback, which is different from the Western notion of a tasting menu, where the chef can't watch your reactions.

The omakase style of dining happens not only at sushi restaurants, but also other Japanese types of cookery, like kushiyaki (grilled skewers) or kushiage (fried skewers) to name but two. In these cases, a course of two or three skewers are served as a set, and you can say when you've had enough. If you keep going, the chef will serve the couple dozen items he thinks you'll enjoy, and the menu will repeat until you explode.

Last edited by Grouse; 08-18-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM
DolphinV8 is infamous around these parts
down

Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 PM
1.Grouse +1
2.DV8+1

Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 AM
It looks like the 27th of september works for most folks so far. It gives people enough time to plan. I will move forward with that date.

1. Grouse +1
2. DV8+1
3. Cellg8
4. Mtshank
5. Littlewhite

Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Redgoat™ is infamous around these parts
Is this the place we went to a while back?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Yes it is, and you probably remember how good it was. I believe if we have enough people it will probably be ours for most of the night.

1. Grouse +1
2. DV8+1
3. Cellg8
4. Mtshank +1
5. Littlewhite
6. INS Guy +1
7. smithm5

Old 08-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I may be in for this. I'll keep you posted.

John

Old 08-19-2008, 06:31 PM
For reference The restaurants name is Ban Ya, The owner spent years learning regional recipies in japan and starting competing restaurants. His menu is very traditional. English menu is 5 pages, with the Japanese menu adding additional 2-3 pages. He makes his own broth, noodles, gari, eel sauce etc etc. Hell He has even helped me with my sturgeon and elk in the past. To put it short the food there is excellent, but more traditional than what you will find in most places. I will be speaking to him this week and getting the preliminary details worked out. I will be asking for omakase style dinner for a large group.

1. Grouse +1
2. DV8+1
3. Cellg8
4. Mtshank +1
5. Littlewhite
6. INS Guy +1
7. smithm5
8. Stormin
9. Detail Jon (possible)

Last edited by Grouse; 08-19-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I may be down for some Fugu.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 AM
desaille is infamous around these parts
Count me in, hell I'm down here already

Old 08-20-2008, 11:01 AM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
I may be down, I'll keep you posted as well.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:42 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I may be down for this too depending on which day. For now, put me down.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:28 PM
1. Grouse +1
2. DV8+1
3. Cellg8
4. Mtshank +1
5. Littlewhite
6. INS Guy +1
7. smithm5
8. Stormin
9. Detail Jon (possible)
10. Atomic80 (possible)
11. stealth 993 +1
12. Crazy ruskie (possible)
13. Vincent DDS
14. Desaille
15. Omid (audiworld not 6 speed Omeed)

Old 08-20-2008, 07:21 PM
CorsePerVita is infamous around these parts
I'll only be around on the 10th of september, otherwise i'd be in. Let me know if you do it again sometime

Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 PM
michaeldorian is infamous around these partsmichaeldorian is infamous around these parts
Put me down as possible if my family doesn't come to visit from out of town. I've to finally meet some car people from NW.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any interest in a omakase Japanese dinner in portland on a saturday in september