Oct 1 Proformance Lapping Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:26 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Larry I stopped by the event the day after. Pacific Raceway is really not well suit for high hp cars. You pay if going too fast on the straight away. GT3s always do well there. Besides the 7GT2 is prebably still breaking in and the driver will probably needs more seat time before he gets fast.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:27 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by D-UberCars
Sweet pix! PJ, none with you dicing with the 7GT2?
I posted one... coming thru 5b with him behind me

Old 10-04-2008, 04:35 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
PJ how did you do against the 7GT2?
I don't care what Mark says, but 7GT2 is freaking awesome.
I was quicker than Charlie that day...
he would put a couple lengths on me down the straight and I was all over him from mid turn 2 until exit of 9

Charlie has had the car for months and was at the Proformance day at PIR earlier this year. The car is broken in. I am not sure I will be able to stay in front once he gets more time track time and instruction.

I had the added benefit of completing the 2 day comp school the week before so I was not "re learning" the track...

Old 10-04-2008, 05:53 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Looks like a good time. Nice shots! I went on the 16th with the NSX club (took the S2000, not the C2S)

Wide open all day - Adv/Int. group was only 14 cars and Novice group was a whopping 6 cars.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PJS
I had the added benefit of completing the 2 day comp school the week before so I was not "re learning" the track...
What did you think of the two-day school? Given you have a good deal of experience on the track did you find it worth the money?

I did it at the beginning of the year (with Brian) and found it very worth while. I have only been on the track for 2-3 years (depending if you count autocross).

Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
PJS
Originally Posted by Bleu Omdurman
What did you think of the two-day school? Given you have a good deal of experience on the track did you find it worth the money?

I did it at the beginning of the year (with Brian) and found it very worth while. I have only been on the track for 2-3 years (depending if you count autocross).
I got my GT3 in June of 2007 and had never been to the track prior to that...I did a few days (maybe 5) in 2007 and have about 12-15 days in this year. I did one autocross with the PCA at Bremerton and while fun it was not enough seat time for the amount of time invested... less than 4 minutes of driving for an all day deal... done with those.

I thought the comp school was great. Probably the biggest benefit to me was driving a slower and softer car really magnified how "not smooth" I was... where my car could easily handle my abrubt inputs etc... the Cobalt SS could not... low power, soft susp, FWD, etc... if you want to go fast in these cars you have to be smooth... (I know you have to be smooth in all cars, but some cars will put up with more abrupt inputs and still allow you to be "fast" because of their set up and hp etc.)

I really got a lot of seat time to practice the slow hands/fast stuff principle, car balance, brake release etc... I got to work with an instructor that I had not worked with before which was nice. I think it is good to get a variety of instructors and hear different points of view etc..

All in all did driving the cobalts for 2 days help me on the track for my lapping days in my car? Yes... very much so... I applied all of the "smooth principles" to my car on the lapping day the following week and I was noticeably faster and more comfortable pushing my car... trying to make it do things as opposed to waiting for it to do something and reacating to it.

Do I want to race now... yes... Pro 3 seems a good place to start... maybe rent a car for my novice race requirements.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Eric_K is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PJS
Do I want to race now... yes... Pro 3 seems a good place to start... maybe rent a car for my novice race requirements.
Let me know if you want to try a Porsche for the novice program. I have a couple I race in Conference.

Eric

Old 10-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
I feel the same way, PJ. It was very worth my time. Totally makes me want to race. Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't really allow that at this point in my life. For example, look at my location now!!

If you do get into racing, I'd be happy to help out from time to time, though I don't know what that means exactly!

I am so with you on the smoothness factor. That school convinced me that a good portion of my track time needs to be with an intsructor. As such, this past year about every other DE I hired an instructor. Very worth it.

For example, last year at Spokane I was running about 2:05 in the Lotus. The track is of course very friendly to high HP cars, which mine is not. This year, I was running 1:49 consistently in the same car, no mods.

The school was a couple grand and the rest of my track days between those two dates probably add up to another couple of grand. There is no way I could have spent $4k on the car and gained that much time!! Very happy and recommend it to anyone.

I'm planning on going to another school in the spring. Probably out of state. If anyone wants to join me, that be some fun. Maybe a 6speed trip!!

See ya at the track.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:42 PM
PJS
Originally Posted by Eric_K
Let me know if you want to try a Porsche for the novice program. I have a couple I race in Conference.

Eric
Will do -- thank you.

What do you have? 944s I presume by looking at your avatar...

Old 10-11-2008, 12:05 PM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
i am trying to get into racing too, however the amount of time needed to play is much more than i can invest as of the moment. for now i hang out with some guys that race and do very well so i can learn the ropes. racing is definitely a lifestyle.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by PJS
Will do -- thank you.

What do you have? 944s I presume by looking at your avatar...
I currently have a 968 and a 944 turbo. The 968 won the last novice race it did with a renter (not that winning a novice race matters). It is decently fast without the financial risk of a newer P-car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEgYXTFyUws

Eric

Old 10-13-2008, 03:27 PM
PJS
I currently have a 968 and a 944 turbo. The 968 won the last novice race it did with a renter (not that winning a novice race matters). It is decently fast without the financial risk of a newer P-car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEgYXTFyUws

Eric
I bet winning that novice race meant something to the novice driver

Can you PM me your contact info and I can pick your brain a little and talk rates etc?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't have enough posts to be PM capable. My email is: ejkrause at hotmail.com

Old 10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
PJS
I don't have enough posts to be PM capable. My email is: ejkrause at hotmail.com
duhhhhh
Eric -- email sent...
thanks