Thank you Barrier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
waipahu996 is infamous around these parts
Thank you Barrier

A history of RMS failures, and a crank 0.17mm off center. Bad news... I need a new engine. Even worse news... the car is 2 years out of warranty. Oh cr@p!!! I'm thinking "That doesn't sound like a cheap fix." But the crew at Barrier did an excellent job of requesting an engine replacement from Porsche. Now the good news... Porsche said OK, put in a new engine. Many, many thanks to the crew at Barrier. Those dudes are awesome!!!

Here's the pics of the oil leak and the new engine. The new one is actually a 997 engine block with 996 parts on it. I guess it has a thicker intermediate shaft. I've heard a thicker shaft is better

Attached Images    
Old 10-13-2008, 08:49 PM
mprsev is infamous around these partsmprsev is infamous around these parts
Glad to hear customer service does still exist!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Wow, that's great news.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Sendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to all
Wow, thats surprising. I had a RMS failure about 2 months out of warranty and Barrier didn't help much at all. It took a lot of calls to them and Porsche just to get them to cover 1/2 the parts involved. Now that I'm out of warranty I take my car elsewhere to get a better price and more accurate diagnostics. Mid-summer Barrier told me my right wheel bearing was going out. Turned out to just be due to the brake pads. Big difference between $1k wheel bearing replacement and couple hundred for new brake pads and install.

Anyways, glad they treated you right!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
Great news Norm. Now keep that new engine clean!!!!!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM
PWR2LBS has a spectacular aura aboutPWR2LBS has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Glad everything worked out.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:57 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Good for you man. They must be real slow over at Barrier to replace an engine that's 2 yr out of warranty. Maybe I should take mine 02 turbo over there to see if they're will give me a free oil change.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM
waipahu996 is infamous around these parts
Barrier service was really good in my situation. I guess there was a good case that the engine may have been a problem from the start. Being that it was already beyond warranty, they did not have to do a thing. But they really went the extra mile to petition Porsche for a goodwill replacement.

That is what I call customer service! I expect it at businesses like Nordstrom and such, but usually not from auto dealers. So I was impressed that they helped me out. I would definitely bring the car back in for service at Barrier, and I would definitely buy my next Porsche from them.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
lpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud of
Justin, Gary and Andrew at Barrier are very helpful all the time ! Excellent service !

Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I've bought three cars from them, and they'll have my business for the fourth. They've always taken care of me. Glad to hear more of the same.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:00 PM
mister_jkd is infamous around these parts
You lucked out big time! I'll consider them in my next car purchase.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:02 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
That is great news on your engine. I agree - the entire team in the service department is unsurpassed at Barrier. They have never let me down and have always met or exceeded my expectations. The same team has been there for years and they greet you by first name and even if you don't have an appointment, will take care of your problem right away. Barrier Porsche service is the excellent.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:05 PM
funcars is infamous around these parts
Barrier p-car service rocks. I have an 03 Carerra that was 1 year out of warranty this summer. On the yearly check-up, they found the RMS slightly seeping. Thinking that +1 year goodwill was more likely than a 2, 3, or 4 year ask (as it became a real leak), I asked Porsche to help out.

Barrier went to bat, and Porsche came back and covered the whole RMS replacement. Didn't need a new engine, but that would have been covered too. I was really surprised, as Porsche usually doesn't even cover slight seepage under warranty -- they want to wait for a leak.

My guess it was the turbo that I bought from them the year before that helped my case...

Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Sendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to allSendero is a name known to all
Sounds like they are much better now. My experience with them was about 4 years ago when they still were sharing that location with the Audi dealership.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.