want to turbo my boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
ken,
i'm always headed out to autox. any time you want to go, let me know! we can always go down together and i can show you the ropes. i think you'll love it!
Where have you been for the last few?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
Originally Posted by xpikenz
haha its ok jody, im learning from this.. besides with the way everyone is talking about the boxster i guess there not so bad after all.. i never really thought about tracking cause I'm originally a "JDM" guy growing up with honda/acura's going fast in a straight line and wanting more power for drag racing...

ill have to take my boxster out to the tracks one day and put it to the test and maybe then ill see your guys point of view and just drop more money into my suspension work and worry about the power later.. i knew i should have just waited for the S atleast haha i was to anxious to get a p-car at the moment and snagged up the first one i saw! stupid me.. haha
Good for you to know you want to get into the Porsche world and do it at a young age! That is great. One thing to remember though, a Porsche will never be a drag vehicle. Guys with 1000hp 996TT are hitting 10's after dropping 100k into turbo upgrades and yet you could drop20k into alot of cars (including civics) and get to the same point. What i am saying is Porsche cars will reward you on the road course and the twisties. You need to "learn" how to drive your car though. As you have said you have spent your time at drag strip (as i did from when i was 16) now you need to get to the auto-x track and get some instruction (it is cheap).

In the end I would tell you to look at getting the Boxster S at the minimum and don't waste your time with the 2.5. Put your car to stock, sell it or trade it in and get the S. It is a fun car to drive with suspension and small motor tweaks, but as with Josh's experience I wouldn't do anything crazy because you will spend more time fixing issues than enjoying your car

Old 10-19-2008, 11:17 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Where have you been for the last few?

i've been slacking a bit this year. i went to the earlier ones this year but i'm getting enough stimulation doing other car things as well. it also depends on the weather. if it's pouring down rain, i don't head out these days. it was gorgeous yesterday. did you go?

Last edited by BoxsterGirlie01; 10-19-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I say it before and I will say it again. The Boxsters are very fun and very easy to drive fast cars.But to those that claimed their new admiration and appreciations for the Boxsters, I simply ask if you would trade your beloved 911 for a Boxster ( Jason, Larry, Mark and Mike)

Porsche winning racing heritage has always been built around the rear engine 911 platform. They also have been building mid-engine cars since the sixties starting with the 914 all the way up to the iconic CGT. As much success as they have with these mid-engines, the production of 911 variances still remains the main focus of Porsche racing and mass marketing campaign. For those that say Porsche needs to replace its rear for the mid engine platform, keep dreaming. It's not going to happen. The 911 is an icon and a winner. It's a Porsche!!

As far as modification for more power, it's a subjective(personal tastes) and objective(personal goals) matters. Everyone has different tastes in cars that can range from looks,sounds and performance, etc.,etc... Personal goals are objectives which may involve aplications and budgets. All depending on who you ask and the more you ask the more confused you get. There are car Enthusiasts on here that will give you their advices via regurgitating or cut and paste informations from various sources. And then there are car Experts that will you their advices based on personal experiences and ownerships...
I don't care what peolpe say, most if not all Porsches will need some degree of modifications from the factory. The 6 Porsches that I owned/own, I have modded every one of them. It has always been a common passion for people to modify lower end cars to go faster or look better than the more expensive ones. True Ballers can buy multiple cars to satisfy every niches of their automobile needs and expressions. But for the rest of us commoners, modding is our ways of finding similar fullfilments...
My 2cent.

Last edited by vincentdds; 10-19-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:58 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vincentdds
I say it before and I will say it again. The Boxsters are very fun and very easy to drive fast cars.But to those that claimed their new admiration and appreciations for the Boxsters, I simply ask if you would trade your beloved 911 for a Boxster ( Jason, Larry, Mark and Mike)

Porsche winning racing heritage has always been built around the rear engine 911 platform. They also have been building mid-engine cars since the sixties starting with the 914 all the way up to the iconic CGT. As much success as they have with these mid-engines, the production of 911 variances still remains the main focus of Porsche racing and mass marketing campaign. For those that say Porsche needs to replace its rear for the mid engine platform, keep dreaming. It's not going to happen. The 911 is an icon and a winner. It's a Porsche!!

As far as modification for more power, it's a subjective(personal tastes) and objective(personal goals) matters. Everyone has different tastes in cars that can range from looks,sounds and performance, etc.,etc... Personal goals are objectives which may involve aplications and budgets. All depending on who you ask and the more you ask the more confused you get. There are car Enthusiasts on here that will give you their advices via regurgitating or cut and paste informations from various sources. And then there are car Experts that will you their advices based on personal experiences and ownerships...
I don't care what peolpe say, most if not all Porsches will need some degree of modifications from the factory. The 6 Porsches that I owned/own, I have modded every one of them. It has always been a common passion for people to modify lower end cars to go faster or look better than the more expensive ones. True Ballers can buy multiple cars to satisfy every niches of their automobile needs and expressions. But for the rest of us commoners, modding is our ways of finding similar fullfilments...
My 2cent.

LOL when did I say I'm a new boxster admiring and want to sell my 911's.

vince you don't count. I have it on good information your toaster and blender at home have gt600 packages.

You'd mod your wife's vibrator if it weren't for her leaving you after.

You mod everything. You've got Mod Problems my friend. The tuners actually know you by name and every tuner in the world sends you flyers weekly in the mail.

So your opinion has to be stricken from the record. Sorry

Old 10-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=Brucem;but as with Josh's experience I wouldn't do anything crazy because you will spend more time fixing issues than enjoying your car [/quote]

I would not use my situation as a example but more as an odd occurrence.

Many of the issues that I have had with mine could have been addressed on a more proactive scale by all parties involved with my cars build. I have now addressed them and will be at more then 100% very soon.

Vincent, Porsche did NOT start with the 914 yet they started with the Porsche with the highest racing pedigree the 550.

Last edited by JP-S-St.Louis; 10-19-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:19 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JP-S-St.Louis

Vincent Porsche did NOT start with the 914 yet they started with the Porsche with the highest racing pedigree the 550.
I didn't realize the 550 was mid engined - and who is "Vincent Porsche"

Old 10-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
smart ***!

The 550's starting point was a 356 based spyder created by a VW dealer Walter Glockler of Frankfurt in the early 1950's
It was built on a tubular frame with an open body and powered by a tuned 1.1 engine. Glockler enjoyed some success racing this model before creating his second "special" in 1952 which had a 1500cc engine. It was this car which paved the way for the factory 550 spyder which followed shortly after.
(Click here to for pictures of Walter Glocklers 1952 Special)
Porsche unveiled a mid-engine, two-seat production car prototype called the Type 550 at the Paris motor show in October 1953. But it wasn't until late in 1954 that the Porsche factory actually had a production 550 Spyder to sell. After some initial success Porsche engineers set about Improving the 550, and a logical place for improvement was in the engine compartment. The 1500S pushrod engine was replaced with the new 1.5 litre, twin overhead camshaft, roller bearing light alloy racing engine designed by Dr Ernst Fuhrmann. It was called the Type 547 it produced 110 horsepower at a screaming 7800 rpm. Even though the cars engines performance had been drastically improved it proved itself to be very reliable even in long-distance events.
Before the 550 series was retired, the engine was improved further to produce 135 horsepower at 7200rpm.
In 1956, Porsche decided to update the 550 chassis, essentially re-designing the car in the process. The new space frame chassis was both lighter and stiffer resulting in a car that weighed just 1170 pounds. It was named the 550A. The car went straight out and proved itself by winning a 1,000-kilometer endurance race at the Nurbring and followed soon after with a surprising first in the Targa Florio. The 550A ceased racing after the 1958 season but this was only the beginning for Porsche in motorsport.

Source: http://www.356-911.com/modelinfo/porsche%20550.htm

Last edited by JP-S-St.Louis; 10-19-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:07 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
good find!

Old 10-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Just a boxster?
Back on topic:

The Boxster is more of a driver friendly car then the 911 like Vincent said. they can be made fast and are very rewarding when you do drive them on the track fast. When mine was stock with just the Eibach springs I was tracking it and had many 996TT and E46 M3 give me the point by. This does NOT mean that the Boxster is a faster car and most of it is all driver but for those weekends I felt like Walter Rohrl.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:25 PM
lig
I have to agree. The Cayman/Boxster layout and driving experience is great. I wish they made a Cayman RS. That would be quite a beast but I don't think they would ever kill the goose laying the golden eggs aka 911

Old 10-19-2008, 10:41 PM
xpikenz is infamous around these parts
so i finally figured out where some of my extra car fund is gonna go!.. its going to a new front bumper + a full paint job w/body work.

i was driving home last night on i-5 south and i did not see a blown tire or whatever i hit in the middle of the freeway.. my front bumper got hit pretty hard and cracked my lip and bumper! tore off my sidemarker light, something got caught underneath the passenger tire and tore up the lining and blew my tire! the one saturday i finally have off and get to go out to hang out with my friends.. this happens.. sucks! will post more day time pictures!

sooo the new question is.. how much does it cost you to repaint the whole car... haha and how long does it usually take?

before:

after:

i have no idea what i hit but it was pretty bad.. atleast there wasn't any blood stains on my car so i know i didnt kill anything!

Last edited by xpikenz; 10-19-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 AM
carjeda is infamous around these parts
I'd like to add my 99 cents to this thread.

The notion that the Boxster is easy to drive fast is laughable. Compared to what? A 911. The two can not be compared.

If all things were equal. A Boxster mid engine that had the same size wheels, same engine, same brakes, same aero down force wings, add some traction control, AWD, and PASM. Now you can compare. The Boxster would now be easier to drive as fast as a 911. It doesn't take a highly skilled driver to drive a 911 fast, it takes a highly skilled driver to not toss it into a ditch or wall at the track which is caused by snap oversteer which is the inherant flaw in the rear engine platform. It requires skill to not upset the balance of the car while trying to go fast. A Boxster is balanced and nuetral by nature of the mid engine design. Evidence can be found in the amount of 911's crashed. Porsche solution to this flaw was to add big rear wings, wide rear fender, big rear rubber even the eventual AWD and traction control. Porshce itself know this, but wont' admit it publicly because it is commited to the design and can't turn back. Name one other rear engine sports car. You can't because it is not the ideal platform. The 911 is where Porsche make's most all of it's profits. Building a Boxster or Cayman on par with a 911 would be suicide. Also, where do you think the 911 was derived from? The VW Beattle. Dr.Porsche designed it and when he started his own company he used the same basic design for the 911. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not disrespecting a 911 what so ever. It's just a fact.

With that said, I find it interesting that most people believe that the 911 is the superior platform in which it gained it's storied history. To the contrary. Porsche Motorsports, the division that heads the engineering, design, support and production of the RSR race cars is not allowed to race the RSR's in any class but the GT or GT3 by Porsche itself. Porsche has won more GT class championships with the 911 than any other mark hands down. But you have to consider that the 911 is raced in the GT or GT3 class of international endurance sports car racing. The class that has the slowest cars of all sports car racing and not many rivals except Ferrari. Why? If Porsche stepped up to the GT1 class it would have to compete amongst exotic production based supercars like the Maserati MC12, Ferrari 550's, Saleen's, Spyker's, Lamborghini, Mclaren, Aston Martin DB9R, even the Corvette Racing team that has won Le Mans 5 years in a row. GT1 class is above a 911 and Porsche chooses to race in the GT class in order to market it's 911 due to homogolation rules. Porsche has won the GT1 class at Le Mans with their 911 GT1, but it is mid engine not rear. Porsche is not competing against the best in the world with it's 911 platform and to some degree the RSR's are factory supported cars. The full factory efforts by Porsche were and are all mid engine based race cars. Period!

Porsche's storied racing history comes from it's domination amongst the best in Group C, Prototypes, the GT1 full factory efforts at the highest level of endurance racing around the world with the legendary 908's,962's, and 956's. These were the cars that ran at 250/260 mph down the Mulsane straight at Le Mans.

Now they produce the LMP2 class RS Spyder's racing in ALMS and around the world. Once again not the highest level of sports car racing.. and the Spyder's are not Factory efforts. They only manufacture the cars and support the customer teams. Once again mid engine, but not at the highest level. If they ran the RS Spyder's in LMP1 it would be against the Factory Audi R10's and Factory Peugeot's, Creation, and Spyker's and these car are like F1 cars. The RS Spyder wouldn't have a chance in terms of speed.

Porsche is one of the greatest sports car companies in the world. It is the most profitable car company in the world because it sell a lot of 911's. Why? Because the 911 is one of the only car's in the world that can be driven daily and also taken to the track with unmatched performance. It does both perfectly. Porsche know's what they are doing. They build great street sports cars and make a ton of money doing so and if you want to race one, you can buy one of those too in a GT3 cup car for $200,000 or a GT3 RSR for $510,000 plus. Porsche produces and sells more race cars than any manufacturer in the world. Why? Because it makes them a ton of money too.

Sorry for the long winded post!

Last edited by carjeda; 10-20-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Just a boxster?
Originally Posted by xpikenz
i have no idea what i hit but it was pretty bad.. atleast there wasn't any blood stains on my car so i know i didnt kill anything!
Yuck man sorry to hear about this if you need I have a spare set of yellow side markers I will sell you REAL cheap (how is free). As for the bumper take it to Joe at ACC I bet he can mend it. The lip can be found for 2-300 bucks. Just a little set back do not let it get you down.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Vince, I would NEVER trade in the 911 for a Boxter, but I would not mind owning one. Their cheap, fun, & drive well.

Guys, the first real Porsches were mid engined, they made 50, for testing, & it was to expensive, so they moved over to the VW (that Porsche designed) rear engine.

Boxter
CGT
They have been making mid-engined cars for a while.

I love the 911, & am getting a big soft spot for the older ones. A 70's RS replica would be SWEET!

xpikenz, OH man that sucks! quality full respray you are looking in the $5-8k range. You might be better off just having the front end done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: want to turbo my boxster