Rear-facing fog lights increase rear-end collisions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:09 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Rear-facing fog lights increase rear-end collisions

Some US drivers seem be oblivious to the fact that pulling their foglight switch out to the second detent (in most European cars), illuminates their rear fog light--shining it in the eyes of the drivers behind them.

An acquaintance who analyzes auto accidents says there is a trend showing that the people who activate their rear fog lights increase the number of rear end collisions with their cars. These accidents have been both day and night, and in conditions where road visibility was good (implying that the fog lights were being used more as a style statement than a necessary tool at the time).

The data don't show the exact cause: the rear-facing fog light may distract the trailing driver or it may keep the trailing driver from seeing the brake lights. The data only show that illuminating your rear fog lights increases the chance that someone will rear-end you.

(If you are out on a genuinely foggy night and there is no one right behind you, activating the rear fog is appropriate to help an overtaking driver see your car through thick fog. But that's not how people were using them when these accidents occurred.)

Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 AM
niter1dah has a spectacular aura aboutniter1dah has a spectacular aura aboutniter1dah has a spectacular aura about
I must admit... it is pretty blinding on clear nights when behind an Audi with the fogs on. Around here, I really don't see the point of using them on my A4.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
When my parents bought their volvo the salesman pitched the fog lights moreso as a quick fix for a tailgater than a safety feature in limited visibility. Maybe this is what is happening. If I was on someones ***(which never happens because I'm such a considerate driver) and a beam of light spontaneously hit me in the face I'd be liable to try to put my engine into their front seat

Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
speedneed is a jewel in the roughspeedneed is a jewel in the roughspeedneed is a jewel in the rough
imho..if u r riding someone *** blinding yourself with their fogs...u are not smart...but then again lots of people r not.....

Old 01-18-2009, 07:19 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by niter1dah
I must admit... it is pretty blinding on clear nights when behind an Audi with the fogs on. Around here, I really don't see the point of using them on my A4.
Yeah, on the S4 you can see them from what seems like a mile away.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:43 PM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
Drives me NUTZ in this country the number of drivers with fog lights on (front and rear), completely oblivious to the fact. Or maybe they just don't care about other road users.

In Europe you wouldn't get 100 yards before someone flashed you a friendly warning to let you know you've accidentally left your fog lights on.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:00 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedneed
imho..if u r riding someone *** blinding yourself with their fogs...u are not smart...but then again lots of people r not.....
+1

I bet the majority of people that have this feature have absolutely no idea that they have it... they simply figure that they more they twist and click the fog light switch the better the fog lights will be.

Why do people drive with fog lights on when there is no fog? If they want to "be seen" wouldn't parking lights or simply headlights be enough?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
speedneed is a jewel in the roughspeedneed is a jewel in the roughspeedneed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by BritBlaster
Drives me NUTZ in this country the number of drivers with fog lights on (front and rear), completely oblivious to the fact. Or maybe they just don't care about other road users.

In Europe you wouldn't get 100 yards before someone flashed you a friendly warning to let you know you've accidentally left your fog lights on.
this doesn't exactly work in italy where on the fast lane of the freeway everyone's blasting full speed with high beems and every other light on....

Old 01-25-2009, 01:56 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I only use the rear fogs to annoy someone tailgating me. Most drivers around here are clueless.