Audi R8 V10 US release letter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Roman,
That track looks like a blast. I don't see any of the raised curbing on the corners like I do on other tracks. Is that planned?
I'm not a track junkie myself, so forgive the lack of knowledge.....
Do you have approximate costs for a track day?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
PJ, just curious: which events are you participating in at ORP? And yes, I'll definitely say hello when I see you at PR.

And yes, you'll be welcome to keep some things there in any owner's garage I get. We haven't built any yet, but it has been discussed as a To-Do for 2009.

Regarding PR, I am surprised that none of the track income "trickles down" to new pavement. It is expensive to do the whole track, though. Perhaps the owners of PR also own a few local tire shops as well.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
James, I'm not a track veteran either so I don't know what all the correct terminology is, but I can say that all the curbing, barriers and run off areas, turn stations, etc. are being put in right now. They need to be there for the beginning of competition season in March.

Regarding rates, there is a rate card for the track but it is a moving target and the proper protocol for interested renters is to discuss the latest with Bret Blackstone, the property manager. His contact info is on the website (www.oregonraceway.com). Yes, I know, the website right now is pretty primitive, and it's about to be totally revamped to be more informative.

I can say that right now, the rates are $3500 a day for Mon - Thurs, and $6000 a day for Fri - Sunday and holidays. This includes full use of the track, track supervisor, attendants, security, toilets, standby fire services and overnight camping/RV. Extra costs for ambulance on site, advanced rescue, additional workers, towing, catering, insurance, etc. I am keeping it general because these additional costs would be variable depending on what is needed for each particular groups needs and/or wants. This is something that can be discussed with Bret, as the details are being refined and discussed right now on a daily basis. He can always be reached directly, or I can facilitate.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:15 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gigharbor1
PJ, just curious: which events are you participating in at ORP? And yes, I'll definitely say hello when I see you at PR.

And yes, you'll be welcome to keep some things there in any owner's garage I get. We haven't built any yet, but it has been discussed as a To-Do for 2009.

Regarding PR, I am surprised that none of the track income "trickles down" to new pavement. It is expensive to do the whole track, though. Perhaps the owners of PR also own a few local tire shops as well.
I will check the calendar tomorrow and get back with you... OR PCA is doing two days over there... and Proformance has told me that they are going to put something together...

One thing you may want to throw around at an owners meeting is on site storage... not necessarily a garage per se... but I was talking to some other low life lappers like me and we were considering renting a mini storage for track tires and jacks and ice cold beverages etc... so we would not be driving to and fro on our track tires and we would have "back up" in case something goes wrong and be able to get home on our own...

So you would have owners garages, members garages and then maybe a lappers slum away from the clubhouse...

I will PM you the dates that I have tomorrow.

$3000 per day seems reasonable...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:39 PM
PJ, I have heard that Proformance is planning to tie a trip to PIR and ORP on consecutive days this summer. On their website they have mid August for PIR, so I'll assume that's the timeframe. I'll definitely get signed up to do that field trip. Bret told me that Doc Doolittle from Proformance came down for a full tour a couple of months ago.

There is an event at ORP on March 1 (I am attending) for qualified race instructors, and "advanced novices", where the non-instructors can drive with one of the instructors. Let me know if you're interested and I can forward you the details. I'm one of the "novices", and if you consider yourself a low life lapper, then I am a low, low, low life lapper. I've seen you drive!

Thanks for the advice on the storage idea out at ORP. It is a good one and will bring it up. Obviously the track is being developed with a particular priority list and budget, with the main priority to get it prepared for multiple sign offs and certifications for racing events for the 2009 season. I'm not a racer, I'm just a sport driver and I might be the only owner that isn't a racer. When I showed up for the inaugural owner's track break in day in late November, I might have been the only one that drove to the track in the car I was going to do laps in. Everyone else was already there in RVs with trailers, multiple car trailers, and even semis with multiple cars and race team members and crews. I was way out of my league out there with these guys, so not only was I trying to learn a very technical track, but trying to do so while being passed by two cars that were also being passed by two cars. Anyone that rents the track, however, can set their own rules on how the day will be run.

So anyway, my point is that given the owner demographic, the bias is toward the race events, people showing up with their cars in tow, with full supplies stashed away in trailers, etc. However, as I have discussed with a few of the members, just like a new swimming pool, the big swim meets are great but they don't pay the bills: the lappers and rec swimmers do. So, what ORP needs this year is a demonstrated level of excitement from sport drivers and high performance driving day rentals, so that there is a nice balance in priorities for accomodations going forward. And yes, the east coast, "country club" idea is definitely in the plans, but that's a 2010 and beyond timeframe.

In the meantime, I think there are definitely enough members of 6speedonline that would love to get a track to their own a few times a year, don't you think?

Roman

Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
PM sent to Roman

sorry for the thread jack

V10 R8 is sweet

At an estimated $140K base... with options this is a $160K plus car

I still think that is a decent value when compared to its competition.

I also think the R models will not suffer from the traditional Audi depreciation curve... which is to say they they will have realtively normal depreciation as opposed to the excessive depreciation on their more "common" models... particularly the A class variants.

Are they going to make an R class diesel for the USA?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Lot's of info. Is there RV hookup if I rent the track? How does Insurance work? Not for cars but general liability? Does this daily fee include this? Tell me a little more. I have to assume with this economy a couple of days rental in a row would warrant a good discount
mark

Old 02-05-2009, 11:36 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PJS
At an estimated $140K base... with options this is a $160K plus car
PJ where's this info come from?
Also aren't you sick of point by passing at the DE by now. Go racing dude.

Last edited by vincentdds; 02-05-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
Lot's of info. Is there RV hookup if I rent the track? How does Insurance work? Not for cars but general liability? Does this daily fee include this? Tell me a little more. I have to assume with this economy a couple of days rental in a row would warrant a good discount
mark
Regardless this fee is pocket change compare to the $20K a weekend racing cup cars.

Last edited by vincentdds; 02-05-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
PJ, I have heard some guys on the east coast say they have a deposit with their dealers for the V12 TDI, but right now I think it's still a concept car.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey Mark, I would say the answer to a multiple day discount idea is yes.

There is currently no RV hookup at the track, but there will be eventually.However, at the mouth of the track access road off of Highway 97 there is a small RV park right there with full hookup. That's where people have been staying if they have RVs and want to hang out for a few days.

The insurance requirement for renting the track is basically event liability insurance between the renter and the track (not to be confused with personal injury insurance). Renters can provide their own, or ORP can extend theirs for a fee. I can PM you some more details on this if you're interested.

I spoke with a fellow owner today, who is putting on the March 1 event for race instructors, and he said given your background you'd be able to drive with them if you wanted to check it out for a day first. They will be doing six different track configurations. Let me know, and I can connect you two.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Just got the order guides for the V10. Looks very similar to the V8.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Are you able to price one out using the Order Guide? How much are we talking here for a nicely equipped V10?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
PJS
Originally Posted by vincentdds
PJ where's this info come from?
Also aren't you sick of point by passing at the DE by now. Go racing dude.
see post 11 in this very thread for the audi price update...
(car and driver with the 600 hp shootout on the cover -- the newest one.. I was shocked to see 140K as I thought it would be closer to 175... then again car and driver could be wrong)

Racing is where I am going eventually... right now I have to stick to lapping... better than nothing...

I did 6 days my first year and maybe 15-18 last year... I think I am still relatively new to this... so not sick of it yet. I am really working on improving with every lap... and having a lot of fun.

I would rather be racing but wallet and wife disagree for a multitude of reasons that I will not go into... needless to say... I need to pick my battles and now is not the time for this one.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Mark, I forgot to mention that there are lowered rates for "exclusive testing and tuning" of a car or a couple of cars. If you're looking at doing that, getting the track insurance is not required. But if it's multiple people, multiple cars, an organized high performance driving event or race, then the liability insurance is a requirement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi R8 V10 US release letter