Do the dealers....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
youngbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
You guys need to drive a cheaper import & see how they treat you!

When my S4 was totaled, I was stuck driving the EVO 8 every day. While it's a AWESOME car, it comes with some preconceptions. I'm also in my 30's.

I go to the local High End used car place, they don't want to play ball at all, I even tell them it's going to be a cash deal, don't care.

Go to the local Nissan Dealership, to drive a 350Z, not only do they no greet me, I wander around inside looking for help, nothing, I even go the reception desk, & ask for help. I'm told it's "lunch hour" & come back later, if I'm serious. 350's are $27k! My dam EVO was $36k.

After that decide to go to the Mitsu dealer to check out a WRX, or used STI. No joy there, they will not let me test drive anything on the lot, even if I have cash, & of course want me to do a credit app. I tell them my S4 story, & am looking for a good DD, they them let me test drive a legacy.

Same for the BMW dealer, no way would they let me test drive a 335. There is also no way I'd pay $55k for a 3 series BMW!

Even when I went to meet the guy who had my C4, he was a little hesitant to let me drive the C4 when he saw me get out of the Lighting Yellow EVO. I think when I knew where the key went, & did some heal & toe he lightened up a bit.

Not only is it how you look, it's what you get out of
wow,...I`m speechless..

Old 02-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned
drpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
You guys need to drive a cheaper import & see how they treat you!

When my S4 was totaled, I was stuck driving the EVO 8 every day. While it's a AWESOME car, it comes with some preconceptions. I'm also in my 30's.

I go to the local High End used car place, they don't want to play ball at all, I even tell them it's going to be a cash deal, don't care.

Go to the local Nissan Dealership, to drive a 350Z, not only do they no greet me, I wander around inside looking for help, nothing, I even go the reception desk, & ask for help. I'm told it's "lunch hour" & come back later, if I'm serious. 350's are $27k! My dam EVO was $36k.

After that decide to go to the Mitsu dealer to check out a WRX, or used STI. No joy there, they will not let me test drive anything on the lot, even if I have cash, & of course want me to do a credit app. I tell them my S4 story, & am looking for a good DD, they them let me test drive a legacy.

Same for the BMW dealer, no way would they let me test drive a 335. There is also no way I'd pay $55k for a 3 series BMW!

Even when I went to meet the guy who had my C4, he was a little hesitant to let me drive the C4 when he saw me get out of the Lighting Yellow EVO. I think when I knew where the key went, & did some heal & toe he lightened up a bit.

Not only is it how you look, it's what you get out of
speechless.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:47 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
One thing we may be missing here. Typically the sales staff takes turns with the incoming customers. So put yourself in their shoes. If your job depends on some sort of quota, would you be eager to potentially waste "your turn" on some down at the heels looking guy who just stepped out of car your boss wouldn't even consider in taking in on trade?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
cellg8 is infamous around these parts
This thread is definitely one of the bests on this forum! Totally made my day reading all these storeis... most of us have all been there!

I bought my first brand new car - 99 honda accord 10 yrs ago using a broker and it was an awesome experience (no time wasted and put up with bs stories from Honda sales)! I would do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to avoid Honda sales...they're simply 'amazinly' TERRIBLE. Funny how their attitudes didn't change when I took it to them and wanted to sell it 10 yrs later... (didn't end up selling it because they just kept playing games)!

Anyways...we bought our last 2 vehicles from out of state... one from Portland and one from CA... everything was negotiated online and no problem at all. No way the local dealer would give deals like the ones I got months ago (now might be different) when economy was not as bad as now... Never test drove these cars and yes, we judged the cars by their appearances...LOL....

Keep the stories coming, guys!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned
drpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cellg8
This thread is definitely one of the bests on this forum! Totally made my day reading all these storeis... most of us have all been there!

I bought my first brand new car - 99 honda accord 10 yrs ago using a broker and it was an awesome experience (no time wasted and put up with bs stories from Honda sales)! I would do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to avoid Honda sales...they're simply 'amazinly' TERRIBLE. Funny how their attitudes didn't change when I took it to them and wanted to sell it 10 yrs later... (didn't end up selling it because they just kept playing games)!

Anyways...we bought our last 2 vehicles from out of state... one from Portland and one from CA... everything was negotiated online and no problem at all. No way the local dealer would give deals like the ones I got months ago (now might be different) when economy was not as bad as now... Never test drove these cars and yes, we judged the cars by their appearances...LOL....

Keep the stories coming, guys!
i have tried to negotiated "over the phone" and "online" with local dealers here in Seattle / Bellevue / Lynnwood and all of them want me to "come in" and show that i'm serious. i don't know how you got them to do it! kudos to you!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I heard that FOS wouldn't even look at you if you go in there without dressing up nicely...

On a positive note, though... I've heard great stories about Barrier Porsche... The sales there are very nice and they do let ppl test drive cars without having issues...

Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by drpasteur
i have tried to negotiated "over the phone" and "online" with local dealers here in Seattle / Bellevue / Lynnwood and all of them want me to "come in" and show that i'm serious. i don't know how you got them to do it! kudos to you!
it's the out of state dealers that I contacted via internet... I basically just skipped the local dealers..LOL!!! You let them know you're from Seattle and no way you would go in there...

Yes, some out-of-state dealers want you to go in and you know these sales are about playing games (90% of the time) so you should just forget about these. Email the dealer and tell them exactly what you want to pay (maybe less) and see if they want to take that... very simple.

Last edited by cellg8; 02-09-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by cellg8
I heard that FOS wouldn't even look at you if you go in there without dressing up nicely...

On a positive note, though... I've heard great stories about Barrier Porsche... The sales there are very nice and they do let ppl test drive cars without having issues...
they didn't let me do test drive on their Porsche 911 back a year ago without a credit check.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM
lpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud of
I have to agree sometimes buying a new car out of state by phone or internet is a lot easier, less game ! Make them an offer, if they do not think you are serious about buying a car from them, don't waste their time or let them waste your time, move on to shop at another dealership ! There are a lot of dealerships across the nation ! I understand it is important to buy cars from your local dealer to support them, but sometimes they just don't have the color or option you want, and I don't think it is necessary to order a car and wait for months when there might be an exact one that you want out of state waiting for you, plus usually you will get a better deal to buy a car off the lot than ordering one !

Old 02-09-2009, 02:27 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lpm 505
I have to agree sometimes buying a new car out of state by phone or internet is a lot easier, less game ! Make them an offer, if they do not think you are serious about buying a car from them, don't waste their time or let them waste your time, move on to shop at another dealership ! There are a lot of dealerships across the nation ! I understand it is important to buy cars from your local dealer to support them, but sometimes they just don't have the color or option you want, and I don't think it is necessary to order a car and wait for months when there might be an exact one that you want out of state waiting for you, plus usually you will get a better deal to buy a car off the lot than ordering one !
Agreed. The local Infiniti dealership would not deal below MSRP at all on my G37S. I called a CA dealership and they gave me $4k off. Can't say no to that!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by CrazyRuskie
Agreed. The local Infiniti dealership would not deal below MSRP at all on my G37S. I called a CA dealership and they gave me $4k off. Can't say no to that!
nobody can say NO to that!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
lpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by drpasteur
i even had worst experience over at Phil Smart. when i was in progress of buying that '08 C300 4Matic, I went in Phil Smart on a Saturday, wearing my jogging suit. nobody greeted me. i knew for sure that there were at least 3 salesmen that saw me.

that was bad! and then i went over to Barrier Motors in Bellevue wearing suits on another day (not on purpose but i was in an important meeting with client in the morning) - 3 guys swamped over me and greeted me like i'm their best friend.
I forgot what dealerships they were, my friend once told me he got more respect from a car sales person by wearing a goft outfit on a weekday than wearing a suit.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:14 PM
MNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really niceMNGolfer is just really nice
My son was on leave from the Marine Corp. He wanted a BMW M6 when he got out of the Corp. We went to the local BMW dealer to take a look and test drive. They ignored us for 10 minutes. Finally I had them page a new car sales person. She ask me, not the buyer, what vehicle I was interested in purchasing today. I told her my son wanted to look at an M6. She asked me what car I drove. I told her I drove a 2004 Audi A8L. She told me the cars were on the fourth floor and we could go look at one, but not sit in it or drive it. We left.

I received a coupon for a free gift from the local Maserati dealer to test drive a quattro porte. I called ahead, arranged a time, drove up in my A8L. They asked for my license and insurance, made copies and we went for a test drive. They told me they would give me some steaks or golf ***** for doing the test drive. I said fine. They never followed up. I bought an R8 instead. Makes you wonder where customer service has gone.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow... These are some great stories guys. I guess that I've hit the car buying lottery and had one bad experience.

When I bought my Acura I had to narrow it down from Prelude and Integra to just one car. The Acura dealership wanted a refundable deposit before the test drive. I asked why that was necessary and they told me that it was to "keep away the joy riders." OK, that made sense to a 19 year old so I cut them a check, drove the car, and then told them to hold my check as a deposit because I liked the car but wanted to drive the Prelude as well. They were (of course) fine with that.
Honda was not so accomadating. They wanted a despoit, a credit check, and gave me grief about my trade in. I had an S2000 that was six months old. I thought that the car was impractical and they were convinced that I had done some mechanical damage to the car... After the credit check, a deposit check, and a mechanical inspection of my car to come up with numbers I liked, I finally drove the car.
Loved it, but not enough to put up with the bullisht...
Bought the Acura, had it a year, and bought another Prelude from a different dealer a year later (really loved that car).

I was looking for a new car for the (ex)wife and went into Barrier after taking the day off to car shop. Jeans and a T-Shirt, drove up in my Honda Prelude (newer car, but still just a Prelude), and I was 21.
Insurance and DL, and they set me up with the exact car I wanted for her, a fully optioned brand new C230. Test drove it, looked at a Boxster S (with the potential of giving her my car) and drove it. Decided that I wanted her to see and drive the Benz. They let me take it home for the night...
No credit check, no paperwork, just a smile and a "have fun".

I've rewarded that treatment by buying three cars from them, taking them all there for service, and referring all my friends who need anything they sell. And I'll be back for more.

And just as a note, FOS has been really accommodating to me. Every time I have visited (granted, driving something German) I have been welcomed and attended to just as I would hope a dealership would when dealing with something so high end. I've never felt out of place even in jeans and a sweater (last visit).

Last edited by StorminS4; 02-09-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
youngbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MNGolfer
Makes you wonder where customer service has gone.
+1!!!

I had it on my lips the whole time,but I did`t want to generalize the lack of customer service..
but now that you say it,I fully agree with you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.