Do the dealers....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Ever driven the Tundra? You might be shocked. It's no S Class, but it's nothing short of amazing what comes in one now.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Banned
drpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by StorminS4
Ever driven the Tundra? You might be shocked. It's no S Class, but it's nothing short of amazing what comes in one now.
i did when i came in but really, who would really trade a full size sedan car for a truck? if i need a truck, it'd be an ADDITIONAL vehicle. and the salesman could have asked that question "oh, will this be an additional vehicle for your family?"

i guess sometimes i expect too much from sales people know what to do / say / ask on their jobs.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL, perhaps he was just thinking that you'd be trading it in on a pair of Tundras (with some room for options left on top).

Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned
drpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these parts
LOL, perhaps he was just thinking that you'd be trading it in on a pair of Tundras (with some room for options left on top).
uh....like i said, he didn't think. and frankly, i can't deal with sales people that don't think! i really get frustrated by it!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:21 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Guys you're doing it all wrong. I never dress up ever. I simply do one thing.

Take my girlfriend with me

Any salesman worth his weight will notice extremely quickly that the only way CV is with me is for $$$$ I'm the ugliest guy on this board.

drpasteur I'm sure the salesguy was just trying to be funny with the s550 trade in on the lesser car. Trying to lighten the situation.

I was driving my 430 spider when I ordered my 2010 Camaro last October. The guy asked me the same thing. I simply said yep. I want 8 of them.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kuzi
I've been reading this thread with great interest. Its easy to see it from both angles if you've been in this "game" long enough. A most excellent story I love to recant to others.............
Back when I first got out of school, I got this feather up my butt and decided I wanted to go check out the new Benzes at Phil Smart. I parked my beat up Mazda 323 with 167k miles on it out in front of the main door and proceeded to walk right in. None but one of the 5-6 salesman even made eye contact or approached to ask if I had questions. I have since in the last 20 years bought at last count 14 cars from him. Best part was that when I left, I had a parking ticket on the windshield......as I stood staring at the ticket, the salesman came running out and took the ticket from me saying his boss would pay for it. Well that boss was Phil Smart senior himself. PS senior retired from the business some years ago...........but what an incredible lesson in customer service I witnessed first hand.
I don't see the specs on the 323. Red? Lowered? He knew then. Floss in your hand, you were for real deal. How could he have not

Last edited by H20SKIER; 02-09-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
Guys you're doing it all wrong. I never dress up ever. I simply do one thing.

Take my girlfriend with me

Any salesman worth his weight will notice extremely quickly that the only way CV is with me is for $$$$ I'm the ugliest guy on this board.

drpasteur I'm sure the salesguy was just trying to be funny with the s550 trade in on the lesser car. Trying to lighten the situation.

I was driving my 430 spider when I ordered my 2010 Camaro last October. The guy asked me the same thing. I simply said yep. I want 8 of them.
buying a car is a serious business. not something that can make fun and offend your buyer. remember, dealer needs buyer, buyer don't need dealer. buyer can always go to different dealer

sales guy should know how to read buyer's mind, such as tone of voice, his face, his actions and based on that, have an intelligent conversation.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
You guys need to drive a cheaper import & see how they treat you!

When my S4 was totaled, I was stuck driving the EVO 8 every day. While it's a AWESOME car, it comes with some preconceptions. I'm also in my 30's.

I go to the local High End used car place, they don't want to play ball at all, I even tell them it's going to be a cash deal, don't care.

Go to the local Nissan Dealership, to drive a 350Z, not only do they no greet me, I wander around inside looking for help, nothing, I even go the reception desk, & ask for help. I'm told it's "lunch hour" & come back later, if I'm serious. 350's are $27k! My dam EVO was $36k.

After that decide to go to the Mitsu dealer to check out a WRX, or used STI. No joy there, they will not let me test drive anything on the lot, even if I have cash, & of course want me to do a credit app. I tell them my S4 story, & am looking for a good DD, they them let me test drive a legacy.

Same for the BMW dealer, no way would they let me test drive a 335. There is also no way I'd pay $55k for a 3 series BMW!

Even when I went to meet the guy who had my C4, he was a little hesitant to let me drive the C4 when he saw me get out of the Lighting Yellow EVO. I think when I knew where the key went, & did some heal & toe he lightened up a bit.

Not only is it how you look, it's what you get out of
EXACTLY, especially if you look young. If I ever want to test drive a car (I've traded 9 cars in 5 years, so yes I do), I make sure I show up in a vehicle that is at least perceived to be at least as "valuable" as the car I want to test drive.

drpasteur, don't take it so personally and let it get to you. Just focus on getting what you're looking for. Sometimes you have to play the game to get what you want.

Last edited by gigharbor1; 02-09-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gigharbor1
EXACTLY, especially if you look young. If I ever want to test drive a car (I've traded 9 cars in 5 years, so yes I do), I make sure I show up in a vehicle that is at least perceived to be at least as "valuable" as the car I want to test drive.

drpasteur, don't take it so personally and let it get to you. Just focus on getting what you're looking for. Sometimes you have to play the game to get what you want.
there are many dealers for me to buy from. no time to play the games i know the games, because when i was in high school, i worked as a salesman, and boy, did i do a good job? of course! i read people's mind and know what exactly to say, and make them enjoy their buying experience. i sold 5 cars within 3 weeks since i started. and guess what? i did not even have any training at all. the boss just threw me out to the wolves.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:47 PM
d23
d23 has much to be proud ofd23 has much to be proud ofd23 has much to be proud ofd23 has much to be proud ofd23 has much to be proud ofd23 has much to be proud ofd23 has much to be proud ofd23 has much to be proud ofd23 has much to be proud ofd23 has much to be proud of
yeah they do sometimes, but the FOS was kind enough to let me test drive the maserati coupe and at that time I was only 19 and was only driving a slk350, personally i would say their customer service is great.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Thinking about all of these problems I truly believe it has less to do with who drives up but the salesman that comes out. Dealers go through car salesman like candy. The experienced sales staff is less likely to make the idiot mistakes. Yes you'll most likely get less attention in a 78 Toyota but the real sales guys won't make that mistake. It's funny a lot of these stories are the Japanese dealerships. 1st off drive down the road and notice the young kids that drive these civics,preludes,nissans etc. They have a challenging cliental to say the very least. Have you seen them drive? These dealerships probably also turn more salesman than anyone.

FOS is good to deal with. They don't get a lot of "can i drive its" in there. Lot's of looky lou's though. They know who can and can't afford a car. Dr Pasteur if you're asian you most likely look very young don't fault them it's probably a manager call. If you notice their showroom it's not really set up to test drive. Most people know the product.

Kuzi you're experience is exceptional but to me not surprising. I don't know Phil Smart but know it was probably an experienced salesman. He didn't size up you're car he sized up you. I doubt you walked in taking pics with your cell phone of the car. Woops that was 20 years before cells. You walked in and knew what you wanted. His experience and your new Diploma silk screened on your t-shirt made it a plus plus.

Also at your age when you walked in out of school there was really only 10 dentists in Seattle anyway He really didn't have a lot of people beating down his front door....

Last edited by H20SKIER; 02-09-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Banned
all good points, H20SKIER.

I guess it varies from dealers to dealers, salesman to salesman, and also how you dress on that day as well, and what car you drive in.

but the important factor that salesman usually looks for in a "good" potential customer is what car they drive in. i think they profile based on that the most.

one of the thing i hate about dealer and salesman also is that when they say THEIR CAR IS HOT, PEOPLE ON WAIT LIST - AND PRICE IS FIRM.

Last edited by drpasteur; 02-10-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
Mark I might have to borrow CV after I win the lottery haha

Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 AM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
New Tundra is pretty fast, but the interior is ugly. The new Toyota Sequoia is pretty nice though

Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by mr2guysingh
New Tundra is pretty fast, but the interior is ugly. The new Toyota Sequoia is pretty nice though
Not to thread-jack... I have a friend with one and I was very shocked at how much they've changed since back in the day when I drove one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.