Do the dealers....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:13 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
I don't know. That may be the kiss of death. You could mention my name (Larry). Steve actually closed the deal on my car although the salesman for both of us was Ted Hanscom who is now the Finance Manager. Greg is also a good guy as well, but when it comes down it they are all up front guys. Just play it straight with them and you'll be OK. Do your homework! Know what you're looking for. It may take several "research trips" on your part to know the cars various options. Of course if you're buying a used car you get what you get.
I agree with Larry. I know behind the seens Larry buys two of the same car and JT pays him back half and takes his exact duplicate home. It's all good.

then JT goes out and does his best to add $50 bolt ons to differ

Also as I told Alex the other day I also recommend Steve Cho although I don't buy from him I sure test drive a lot of cars for fun with him to waste his time

Last edited by H20SKIER; 02-13-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:15 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Just go to Barrier and talk to the people mentioned... you can mention Larry, Mark and Jason lol

Old 02-15-2009, 03:52 AM
mwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the rough
Went to Barrier today and got the "profiling" treatment for about 4 minutes (couple of sales guys looked at me then walked away). Then Stephen greeted me and we test drove a Cayman S. Love it.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mwy23
Went to Barrier today and got the "profiling" treatment for about 4 minutes (couple of sales guys looked at me then walked away). Then Stephen greeted me and we test drove a Cayman S. Love it.
I'd wager that the two sales guys that looked at you where waiting their turn for customers. Barrier learned long ago early 90s that people that can afford their cars come in all shapes and sizes. Hope you buy the Cayman S. Those cars are really cool. I wish I had room for one of those. MHO get "white"

Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned
drpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these parts
Barrier seems to do the "profile" a lot these days.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
I'd wager that the two sales guys that looked at you where waiting their turn for customers. Barrier learned long ago early 90s that people that can afford their cars come in all shapes and sizes.
I would agree with this... when you walk in without an appointment for a specific salesperson (at most dealerships) you are an "up"... as in "who's up?" (in the sales bullpen)...

So if a sales guy walks by you he is probably at the bottom of the "up" list... he should be a smart company man and ask if you need help and if you do, then he should go get the saleperson that is supposed to be handling you as the most recent up...

I have never had an issue at any dealership with the following approach - walk straight to the receptionist and ask to speak with a salesperson. Tell the salesperson the truth (I am here to purchase X, or, I am just looking at X today but would like you to answer a few questions and if you know you are not buying that day, tell him that up front. You dictate the terms of what you want.)

By taking the straight forward approach, the sales guy knows going in that he at least has a chance to build a relationship even if you are not buying that day.

I took my M5 in to SEA BMW for scheduled service while I waited... so I walked across the street to Phil Smart to take a look at the new GL for the wifey... Straight to the receptionist, hooked up with a sales guy, and he shows me the cars... I say I am not buying and that I really am just looking etc... he says fine and spends an hour with me. Gives me the brochure, introduces me to the sales manager, and of course offers to let me take the car home and show my wife etc... I cannot blame him for trying to close me while I was there... that is his job. But he was not a dick about it... If I ever end up getting a MB, I will go looking for the guy that spent an hour with me and hopefully we could put togehter a good deal and his hard work of an hour will have paid off. He sends me an email every three months just checking in and that is fine.

Take control of how you want to be treated and you may find that you enjoy the experience of buying a car.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Banned
drpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these parts
"Gives me the brochure, introduces me to the sales manager, and of course offers to let me take the car home and show my wife etc"

wow, the dealer just offer you to take the car home? i had to ask for that and they were even hesitated - had to ask a manager for approval.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:26 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I agree with PJ's approach too. I've been offered cars to take home for the day too. Just as long as you're straightforward then you'll be treated like royalty.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 PM
ccollins is infamous around these parts
Stephen is great, and has treated me really well through the ordering process. I had some apprehension about driving up to Barrier in my Mini, but any profiling was only in my head. After milling around the showroom for a few minutes, Stephen walked right up to me, told him I wanted an '09 Cayman S and that was that.

PJ is on the money, be straight with the dealer and they'll be straight with you. I doubt too many are playing stupid games these days and are thankful for any opportunity at a sale. Been a great experience with Stephen at Barrier so far.

Last edited by ccollins; 02-15-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: First post, Hi!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
mwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
I'd wager that the two sales guys that looked at you where waiting their turn for customers. Barrier learned long ago early 90s that people that can afford their cars come in all shapes and sizes. Hope you buy the Cayman S. Those cars are really cool. I wish I had room for one of those. MHO get "white"
Makes a lot of sense.

I was definitely up front w/ Stephen as suggested many times in this thread. After the test drive he asked if he could put a proposal together and spent some time w/ a manager doing so. No pressure, and of course, it's his job to try and sell me the car on the spot but I wasn't there to buy (unless they threw me some smoking hot deal, which they didn't).

Loved the Cayman S... so much so that I'm refusing to test out a 911. I'm scared that after a test drive, I'll be forced to up my budget serveral thousand dollars.

Love white (my last car and current car are white), but also liking the silvers. Seal gray looked much more appealing in pictures than in real life (seemed to have a purple hue, might've been the sky reflecting or something).

Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 AM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I like Seal Gray... My buddy Carson had his S4 resprayed in PSG. Looks SWEET!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the Dr. isn't coming back..thread closed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.