Do the dealers....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned
drpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these parts
Do the dealers....

"profile" the customers?

Here is an example of where I think they profile:

back in the year 2005, when I was still "poor" - i was still driving a '04 Lexus IS300 - i came in the FOS and asked to take a look at one of Aston Martin because i know i will get a "big fat" bonus. the salesman asked to run a credit check when i asked for a test drive.

now back to the present, i drove FOS in '07 S550, and asked for test drive, they didn't require a credit check - just a copy of my driver license and insurance card.

Last edited by drpasteur; 02-08-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
how old were you then (IS350) vs. now?

what would you do if you owned the dealership?
would you let everyone take a test drive?
I am sure the "credit check" seperates the men from the boys so to speak...

If you have it, you probably say "no problem I understand"
If you do not... you probably stomp your feet and say "this is bs, you are discriminating against me because I am too (old, young, black, white, asian, gay, straight etc)" and storm out...

mission accomplished on their behalf...

Just my thoughts...

Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Banned
drpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these partsdrpasteur is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PJS

If you do not... you probably stomp your feet and say "this is bs, you are discriminating against me because I am too (old, young, black, white, asian, gay, straight etc)" and storm out...

Just my thoughts...
Well I was 26 back then. But I do have a "young face" typical for Asian guys. I did let them run the credit check and no problems. they seemed a bit surprised after they ran it - i guess they didn't expect to see i passed their check. But compared to now, they did not require, that made me think that they do profile customers based on what they drive in.

Last edited by drpasteur; 02-08-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PJS

Just my thoughts...
I agree with this point.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
Funny -- I was going to use FoS as an example.

In this town it's really impossible to tell simply by looking at someone whether they have the resources to afford an expensive car. FNA make their dealerships' salesmen wear suits, while in Seattle their customers wearing Seattle Tuxedos -- a pressed pair of jeans with a clean shirt Probably appropriate for east-coast dealers, but here ... not so much. There are many young clients at FoS that are buying expensive cars. Do they profile ... I'm sure that if they asked for a credit check, then they probably are following a "trust, but verify" logic. In other dealerships, more often in other parts of the country, you might get the disdainful treatment and pompous "I think Sir is looking for the Ford store ?"-type of attitude. I think the credit-check request is showing good-will to a youthful looking customer and willingness to be taken seriously. I know that when the Viper was the "hot ticket", Dodge dealerships wouldn't give a test-drive without a cashier's check for $10k presented to them (and refundable if you didn't decide to buy).

Most guys that buy Ferraris for the first time don't even request a test-drive. I know that I didn't. The first Ferrari I ever drove was the 2002 Modena I purchased after a 2-year wait in the queue.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by BritBlaster
Funny -- I was going to use FoS as an example.

I know that when the Viper was the "hot ticket", Dodge dealerships wouldn't give a test-drive without a cashier's check for $10k presented to them (and refundable if you didn't decide to buy).
i know for sure that i won't go through all that trouble of getting a cashier check $10K at my bank just to show that i can afford to buy a Viper. The more things that the dealers require, the less chance that i'll buy from them.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:08 PM
mprsev is infamous around these partsmprsev is infamous around these parts
Yeah I got stuck with the worst sales guy when I bought my E. Granted he was let go shortly after I picked up my car.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Banned
worst experience too

i even had worst experience over at Phil Smart. when i was in progress of buying that '08 C300 4Matic, I went in Phil Smart on a Saturday, wearing my jogging suit. nobody greeted me. i knew for sure that there were at least 3 salesmen that saw me.

that was bad! and then i went over to Barrier Motors in Bellevue wearing suits on another day (not on purpose but i was in an important meeting with client in the morning) - 3 guys swamped over me and greeted me like i'm their best friend.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:13 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
LOL. BMW in Tacoma lost a 335i sale ... First nobody greeted me, I had to find someone to help me, I wanted to test-drive a 6sp they said they had to get it from their warehouse and would call me... never did, so I went and checked out the G37S and bought it instead!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned
and another experience

where it was Ford of Bellevue. i was interested in BMW 745LI series - i think. the dealer allowed me to take the car home overnight to let my wife see the car and also for a mechanic check. we agreed on the price verbally. did not sign anything yet.

apparently it took more than a day for my mechanic to inspect the vehicle, he was extremely busy. so it wasn't done the day after. but during the next day, they called me and said someone offered them more than the agreed price between me & the dealer. they asked me if i want to counter-offer a higher price than their newest offer.

i told them NO and was so pissed that i told the dealer that my mechanic had a family emergency and now in CA, won't be back 'till next Monday (it was like Wednesday). i racked up 700 miles on the car during the entire keep.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
S7RR is infamous around these parts
^^Oh thats clever...

Old 02-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by S7RR
^^Oh thats clever...
well, i hate the fact that they did something like that. i know it was my fault NOT to sign any paperworks agreed on price, but still, i can't believe with a big dealership in Bellevue will do something like that.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 PM
slidingk1 is infamous around these parts
Dealerships always play mind games. Best way show up with cash they want to do a credit check drop down a stack or two nothing else need be said. Be clear on what you want tell them your terms and conditions then haggle on price. Common games they play is the entire talk to the manager bs and all there other games. Hence why I deal with a broker no games we agree on a price his commission and he finds me the best there is on the market.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Banned
how does a "broker" work? I never deal with them before, but the way you say it, i think i'd enjoy working with a broker more than with a dealer.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:58 PM
If a Quattroporte interests you, here's one that's cheap:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/1025406842.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.