Porsche 911 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
Porsche 911 questions

Ok, to be honest, I know very little about Porsche's and all their differences. Even looking at all the different models on 6SO homepage is a bit daunting- I am looking to replace my Lexus GX470 daily driver and have been eyeballing some used 911's. I test drove a 2001 911 Carrera yesterday and really liked it. its in the perfect color combination for me (black/black) dealer offered a respectable trade in value and its calling my name. I am asking the people in the know- what exactly is it? is it a 996, 997 etc.. it has the retractible spoiler on the back that I would want to change out but from the limited searching I am confused as to what would fit. (I see a lot of spoilers seem to only fit the turbo models). So please, can someone school me on where the numbers come from, 996,997 etc and if I was to pull the trigger on this 2001 Carrera, what are my options as far as interchangability is concerned. ie: which bumpers fit each other and which spoilers fit.. etc.
thank you in advance
-Tim

Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 AM
FerRrari is infamous around these parts
A MY2001 911 Carrera would be a 996. Not sure about your other questions.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
your questions would be better answered by the group in the 996 section...thread moved...and then moved again...I'm getting dizzy...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-28-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
I think everyone is at the meet but I'm sure they'll help you out. All I know is that its a 996.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
I was hoping to keep this in the local Northwest section- but now knowing its is indeed a 996 that helps. thanks

Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
It's a 996. 2002+ models got a power bump.

997 models started in '05. Even more power - more curves - the non-boxster headlights and improved interior (most of that is of course opinion )

Old 02-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I like the aero package that was available for the 2001 model year but was wondering if that was only available in 2001 since the car I looked at doesnt have the aero package. thanks again

Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Oh man - I have no idea. You'll have to get a 996 expert for that. I would be surprised if you weren't able to buy a kit or replica kit and add it after the fact. IIRC the hp bump in 2002 was something like 20hp.

GL on the search.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:28 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
996 99-2001 can be had for $23-33k range for a nice example
996 2002-2004 can be had for 28-35k range for a nice example
997 2005-2008 are over 50k for most part

edmunds.com is a good place to research on used model. changes each year. if u can spend over 45k, i'd look into 997. otherwise, look into 996 but pay special attention to C4S and 40th Anniversay models if you want NA engine. C4S is a sexy wide body w 4WD. 40th has extra 25 hps.

also consider 01-02 Turbos which are around 45k these days.

do lots of research on 996. RMS, tranny issue, coolant tank crack are common issues but car is very reliable as long as car is well sorted out with clean, non repeating repair history.

as for body kits, they are available on just about every model. 02-04 996 has better OEM kits. precision in LA, misha on this site are some of the aftermarket kits.

Last edited by djantlive; 02-28-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:34 PM
DJAnt and LIG, nice looking Porsche's guys! thanks for the info. I'm going back down to the dealership today.. any idea when the timing chain is supposed to be replaced? thanks again
-T

Old 02-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Almost every 911 is going to be different. The option list is huge, & every one gets stuff that is a little different. Most cars will not have the Aero kit, it's a expensive option, & one used cars usually cost a little more.

Timing chains are life time. Really the early 996's have some engine problems, RMS, intermediate shaft issues. The very early 996 cars some had bad engine cases, but all of them should have been fixed.

There are dozens of rear wings that will fit. Many places to buy them, the 996 aftermarket is HUGE!

As with any expensive used car, get a PPI done!!!! You would hate to get a 996, then 2 months later find out you need to put a new engine in it!

Old 02-28-2009, 02:50 PM
good to know. thanks for all the tips guys- I appreciate it
~T

Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 AM
ivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to behold
the 01' is the last year of the MK1 996 (this means in 02' there was a generation face lift with some changes to performance and looks)

The rear wing MUST be changed in conjunction with a front change or you will experience too much down force in the rear and make the car unstable at speed. The "Best" aproach if you can is to add an OEM Aero package (front, sides and rear) They can be purchased at suncoast or sunset Porsche. They are not cheap but offer the best fit and least expensive instalation/paint as they fit.. other "kits" often require hours of "fit-up" which eats up the savings of the parts in labor and in the end is NOT OEM.. some care- some dont
any other info regarding miles and options? private or dealer (real Porsche dealer or other) send a link to the ad if its on-line

The car is a great DD as I do, and even in the snow it handles like a dream!!! The car is also very easy to personalize and make mods that fit what you are after. There are plenty of places for info and great people to help you along. You might also try rennlist in the 996 forum. here ni the 996 is good too.

If you were up north a bit we could meet for coffee.....its a great world of Porsche, good luck with your hunt

Here is the best link for LOTS of info .....
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ing-guide.html

happy reading

Last edited by ivangene; 03-01-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Ivan:
thank you for taking the time to share the knowledge about the rear wing and front bumper.. I am still in the 'looking' phase and will continue to search for the right one. I will keep my eyes peeled for a factory installed aero kit as the side skirts and rear wing really tickle my fancy..lol - I've been to several meets- beit C&C, EOM and the new E@RTC (except this week) so chances we've been among the same crowd. I look forward to meeting some more of you Porsche guys/gals (Jody&Greta) and asking what is probably dumb questions to you guys- just please bear with me.. heck, if you have any F-car questions, especially F355 ones, I would be happy to return the favor.
-T

Old 03-01-2009, 10:05 AM
ivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to beholdivangene is a splendid one to behold
You are welcome... the Aero's are tough to find and as luck would have it there is a black on grey one on craiglist right now (I know I dont like the grey either, but these cars are really not that common to come across)

Read that link I posted above (it was an "edit" so might have showed up after you saw the original)
There is a plethora of valuable info there

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 questions