SL65 Black Series (I don't get it)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
SL65 Black Series (I don't get it)

So I'm reading an article in March 09' Road and Track. Why would someone buy the black series over the SL65AMG?

SL65AMG weighs 340lbs more. Costs $110k less. Get's to 60mph .2 seconds faster. Is only .2 slower to 100mph's. The slalom the Black Series is faster by almost 3 mph's. Why would someone pay 110k for better suspension it seems. Why is the Black Series 340lbs lighter with 57 more hp and it's still slower?

Has Road and Track messed these numbers up? I'd expect the car to out perform in all aspects. These numbers just don't add up.

I will say the side vent things look much better on the black series after finally figuring out that Black Series didn't mean the color.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
Half those numbers in magazines aren't very accurate

Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Mark, the "real world value" will probably be much closer to the SL65AMG pricing. I'm sure you'll be seeing them @ 150-200k very shortly.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Busta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud of
I wouldn't be surprised you weren't giving much consideration to the Black Series because you thought they were referring to the color of the car!! What if they called it the White series? I kid because I care, Mark.

Seriously, the AMG Black edition looks like a beast and is impressive on paper, but like Samuel L Jackson said in Pulp Fiction, it better be one charming mother-f#$%(@# car to go along with that $110K premium. If they offered the body kit for the SL65, they would probably sell more units. It's purdy.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:51 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
i agree the first benz body kit i thought was cool looking. the problem as always with benz is resale is one of the lowest. i wonder why road and track would mess up the numbers especially in the same month.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:54 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
as said by others, a 0.2 sec 0-60 is immaterial. weather, track condition, tire can all be a factor.

either car will be a blast. BS has exclusivity and still a lot cheaper than a SLR. If BS comes with gullwing doors, that'd be really something!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:33 PM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
Mark; I don't get the SL BS at all. I'd prefer an SL63 myself, or to be perfectly honest, an SL550. Tarting up a heavy boulevadier (and removing drop-top capability) is nonsensical. I suspect that MB will have to seriously reduce their production in order to not over-supply demand. The SL BS has as much appeal (and logic) to me as Mike Tyson in a tutu.

Maybe it just made more sense when credit-default swaps were considered a good idea ...

Old 03-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by BritBlaster
Mark; I don't get the SL BS at all. I'd prefer an SL63 myself, or to be perfectly honest, an SL550. Tarting up a heavy boulevadier (and removing drop-top capability) is nonsensical. I suspect that MB will have to seriously reduce their production in order to not over-supply demand. The SL BS has as much appeal (and logic) to me as Mike Tyson in a tutu.

Maybe it just made more sense when credit-default swaps were considered a good idea ...
you've seen him in a tutu?
credit default swaps are a fantastic idea if you make a 1.5% commision off of them. So I guess it depends on which side of the transaction you are on. Not unlike the car dealers pushing these 300k BS's. I read an article they are making 350 total cars in the next year.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 PM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
you've seen him in a tutu?
No, which explains why my retinas are still functional.

Originally Posted by H20SKIER
credit default swaps are a fantastic idea if you make a 1.5% commision off of them. So I guess it depends on which side of the transaction you are on. Not unlike the car dealers pushing these 300k BS's. I read an article they are making 350 total cars in the next year.
Indeed. Usually every con has at least one smiling participant.

I'd be very surprised if they can shift 350 cars, without some substantial discounting (ie blood-bath level).

Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM
[quote=BritBlaster;2288811
Indeed. Usually every con has at least one smiling participant..[/quote]

It's a little like golf. Every shot in golf makes someone happy.

350 cars world wide right now might be a stretch. I'd be curious if someone knew the numbers on the SLR's in circulation. How many made it here. I could see that car doing well at 200k and the typical top mercedes in the 140's but some of the stickers on MB's are so far up there.

My dad has a SL500 it's got about 10k miles in 3 or 4 years however long it's been since the new body came out. I think those were only like 95-100k or something at first. He just doesn't like driving it much. 20k a year in his GMC2500 crew cab though is pretty typical.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
Lets face it, the main reason that gets us into these machines is its looks. how they handle and feel is why we buy them. and that SL65AMGBS is quite simply- STUNNING. I love it and would love to see one in person.

it's got the power to pack a punch with its larger than a (dare I say) standard SL65 AMG twin turbochargers (bumping it up from 604hp to 661hp)

The only reason why I would chose the Black Series is because of the reworked body..
and I thought that "Black Series" referred to the interior color as black is the only color offered for these cars.

heres another article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Atomic saw Barrier in his "White" SL65 Black Series yesterday. That would be good looking but still wouldn't justify 300k. Not even close. 200k is a stretch for those performance numbers.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
I am not even sure if there will be two versions released in 2010.. have you heard (or anyone heard) that they will indeed have a standard SL65 SMG or will the black series be the only sl65 amg released?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM
that question is way over my head. i've never been a MB fan so i normally don't read any articles about them. i just found this one interesting.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Kuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to behold
Come on........admit it. Its a damn cool car. But not at that price. There are lots of very cool cars...........but not at what people are asking for them. There is definitely a disconnect between ask and selling prices. I'm going to fathom a guess and say they will have to drop these cars 50k upfront to move them........if not more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL65 Black Series (I don't get it)