Reporting in from Skip Barber

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:09 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kave
awesome write ups, where is the proformance school?
www.proformanceracingschool.com

Pacific Raceways
Kent, WA

Congrats Trevor!

Old 04-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys. It has been a great Spring break, but the vacation has to end someday, might as well be tomorrow right?

Sebring is a great track. It is historical and has not been repaved in a long time. So long in fact, that you are actually driving on the same pavement that Fangio drove on.

It was about 84 degrees today and sunny. That made each lap nearly identical to the one before it. What a great way to spend a day. Tearing around a 3.7 mile 17 turn road course. That said, let's take the car out for a lap shall we?

The car is a 2.0 liter formula car that weighs about 1100 lbs before my fat but sits in the c0ckpit. They generate about 150 bhp and about 400 lbs of downforce.

Were screaming into turn 17 at about 117 mph. Wait, wait. Now, turn in hard, get the car rotating, straighten the wheel a little bit and...down shift, BING BING 4th 3rd gear turn. Trail the brakes, rotate the car, add power. Full throttle, shift to 4th at the exit point. Heading down the front straight away now. Shake the hands, check gauges, point the car diagonal across the track so that it is pointed to the turn in point at the other end of the straight. Flying lap now.

Shift up to 5th at the painted start finish line. Full throttle. Full throttle. It is a sequential gear box so no clutch on the up shift and really fast Jackie Chan feet on the downshifts. To up shift we just grab the gear level, add rearward pressure and quickly release throttle pressure and jump right back on it.

Were doing about 105 right now. Zinging the car under the bridge, light brakes down shift YUNGA to 4th. Trail the brakes in. Easy does it, that wall is really hard over there to the right. Add throttle. Hear the tires whine. Add throttle. The tires are mad. oh. oh. Slipping...bumps...add throttle. APEX FULL THROTTLE. Drifting...sliding catch it. the car goes light...drifting up on to the paint at track out. Wheew, we made it through turn one. I think I just saw someone tuck behind the wall at turn 3. We can catch em!!

Sail through the bend that is turn 2. Coming up on a flowing section for turn 3, 4 and 5. We're mid-track, the engine is wound up to the end of 4th gear. POP POP POP rev limiter. Brakes, hard, hard, lock up on the left front, ease off a little pressure. its rolling. Carrying a lot of speed into turn 3. Trail the brakes, rotate the car. Back end is loose, let it rotate. ON power. add throttle. Full throttle Through turn 4. Lining up the right side. Lift! Light brakes turn 5. On power, full throttle. Coming down to the Hair pin. The car up ahead is red. We'll get him by turn 14-15. That's our goal.

Full throttle down the "not-so-straight" straight away into the Hairpin at turn 7. A hard first gear right hander.

Brake cones coming up, 5th gear. Full throttle. Full Throttle. 400 ft marker, Full throttle. 350 FULL THROTTLE. 300 BRAKES BRAKES. No loch up. YUNGA, YUNGA, YUNGA, YUNGA. First gear. Snap the steering wheel in and pop off the brakes. Good rotation. Pointed, throttle. Full throttle. BING 2nd gear. Full throttle through turn 8. BING 3rd Gear. Full throttle. BING 4th gear before Turn 9. Turn 9 Full throttle. Coming up on 10, 11 and 12.

400 ft
300 ft

BRAKES HARD!! lock up on the right front. Give it the kind of pressure relief that only God and I know about. Its rolling. YUNGA, YUNGA..2nd gear, still hard on the brakes. Turn in hard right, Trail the brakes, Add throttle, full throttle. Left for turn 11, left for turn 12, both at Full throttle. BING 3rd. BING 4th. Coming down to turn 13. Good deep banking. POP POP POP Rev limiter.

BRAKES! YUNGA 3rd gear turn. Toss it in at a speed that seems WAY WAY WAY too fast but it will stick. Trust in the grip. Drifting out to the exit. We are flying now. The downforce is working hard. The wind is violently buffeting our head and trying to rip off our helmet. You can feel the vibration of the car in your shoulder blades. This ROCKS! The red car is about 5 car lengths up and we are closing fast. They must not have trusted in the grip at turn 13. Our helmet quites down. Slip stream. You feel the heat of his exhaust. 2 car lengths.

Turn 14 "Bishops Bend" is a very fast left hander. We make it one big left hand 5th gear turn. The Red car sees us. His hand comes up. VICTORY. we pull out of the slip stream and the increased drag on his car pulls him back. We slip by and tuck in front of him back on the racing line.

Coming into turn 15, "Gendebien Bend". Hard on the brakes YUNGA YUNGA, down to 3rd gear. Trail the brakes. Squeeze the throttle. The back tires are screaming in pain. Pitch the car back to the left for "the Kink" before turn 16. The LeMans Curve.

Turn 16 is a fast right hander leading onto longest straight. We give a light brake and turn in smoothly. On the throttle. Slide the rear a tad...FULL THROTTLE. BING 4th gear at Exit. FULL THROTTLE. Check gauges, shake the hands and wrists, deep breath. Check mirrors. There he is. The red car just got on to the back Straight away with us. BING 5th gear.

Carry the speed deep into the braking zone for 17.

400 Full Throttle
300 Full Throttle 118mph
200 Turn in hard, Full throttle

Pass the Flagger at the Apex and HARD on the brakes. YUNGA, YUNGA 3rd gear. Trail the brakes, turn. Add throttle. Drift the car out to the track out point. Good lap!

I just finished 5 days of this, lap after lap, after lap. Big thanks to the boys at Skip barber for honing in on my skill level and giving me things to work on that have made me a far far better driver than I was last week. Time and Money well spent.

The karting kid (the red car) even shook my hand after the session. Good kid and actually a very good driver. He was faster than me yesterday.

If anyone is game for doing an Advanced 2-day course at another track someday, keep me in mind. Probably not this year but maybe next year I'd like to do a new track. I have a personal goal to do 2 new tracks a year.

Cheers,

Trevor

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 04-01-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:22 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Trev, you do a great job of narrating your driving school experiences without the use of pictures and that's no mean feat! Glad you're having so much fun but did you happen to take any pictures at all? I notice that you rarely post pictures, Trev! We'll have to change that and it'll be even more impressive! Or maybe you could take me with you and I could document those!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
I used to have a dream of being a secret agent man so I guess I'm a little camera shy. I did take a few pitures while I was down there. one of them is me standing next to the Formula Car I was driving. Maybe I'll get around to downloading the pic tomorrow? I always say that though.

Always welcome to join me Jason. And thanks for the kind words.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Trev, glad you had a safe and fun experience...rep for the great write-up

Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 AM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
boy trevor....good thing skip barber wasn't closer! you COULDN'T be camera shy around some of us NW 6speeders even if you tried! we'll get your picture no matter what! =)

what a cool write up! thanks for sharing your experience! but i have to admit....i'm dying to see pictures of you and that hot lotus of yours on the track! that's gotta look good!!

see you soon!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks Jody,

I wanted to check the instructors out (and learn from them) because I plan on bringing them up to Seattle in the Spring of 2010. I posted this up a while back but basicially the plan is to bring 16 instructors (my breakeven point) up to either Pacific Raceways or Portland and run a one on one coaching day with a pro coach.

There is a contingent of people here in the Northwest that are really into driving or racing and the "typical" instructor in the Northwest just doesn't have anything for them any more.

It will be a one day thing with a max of 20 drivers. It will be conducted in the client's personal car. These guys (lead by Robbie Montinola) do this regularly but the closest they get to us is Thunderhill.

I like Pacific Raceways because it is so close and the client can drive down in the AM and be home for dinner. However, Portland is a "safer" track to experiment with the limits of the car. Thunderhill is even safer, but is clearly to far for 99% of us in Seattle.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 PM
mongrelcat is infamous around these parts
Awesome thread. I did a one-day combo S/B class at Laguna Seca a few years back. Your writings really have me itching to go back. Thanks.