trailers -- any advice or know of any for sale?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:35 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
trailers -- any advice or know of any for sale?

I might be in the market for a trailer... MIGHT BE
I am only interested in enclosed types
I will be pulling with my F150 -- has a max tow rating of 9200 lbs
My car is roughly 3100 lbs (guessing)
I do not want to max out my truck so I think enclosed trailer from 22-24 feet (box length).

I figure now is a good time to look for a used one that is being liquidated due to the economy etc.

I have been to freeway trailers in Fife already -- they have nothing used... and I am not buying a new low end one...

Use: to take my GT3 to PR, PIR, ORP and someday beyond...

I found a perfect used Pace brand trailer -- anyone know of Pace (I am familiar with their picante sauce but not their trailers)

Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
way cool pj! that's going to be nice if you get one so you can haul down your track tires, gear, and the bbq that you'll have on the back so we can have a hambuger, hot dog, and soda while we're all hanging out. wink*

Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 PM
David_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of light
Pace is a good one. Just make sure it's not too old. I bought a used Haulmark trailer about 3 years ago that was a 1996 model. Hit a piece of wood on the freeway and had the axles snap and almost rolled. Trailer was a total loss after that. Rust took hold of that one.

My current one is a 24ft enclosed. Great size for a Porsche and all the goodies you need for a track day. 22ft would work fine as well.

The only other thing to consider when choosing a size is your tow vehicle. I can't remember if you truck is a long bed or short bed, crew cab, ext cab, or regular cab. The longer wheelbase trucks make towing WAY easier. I use to tow my trailer with my Denali and it would scare me at times. That was the reason I decided on getting a big *** truck.

Even with a huge truck, a 24ft trailer still looks big

Check out the wheelbase difference from this

Old 04-10-2009, 10:33 PM
David_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of lightDavid_J is a glorious beacon of light
Found the picture of my first one that the axles ripped off on.

That was one scary night.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:12 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
PJ i've got a 20ft Haulmark. As DJP stated the 24ft will be big for your little baby Ford. I bought a 20ft because I had a half ton at the time. It pulls well with my cars in it and is a little cramped at times for raceday weekends. Truth be told the smaller trailers will be perfectly fine for your application. You just have to be organized to and from the track but while there the car sits outside of it and the trailer has more than enough room. I used to travel with 2 sets of wheels 3 5's of fuel and all of my jacks,stands etc. A little tight going and coming but much easier for storage and pulling then the bigger ones. DJP's is awesome trailer and works great but he's got a 3500 pulling it and that makes all the difference. My 3/4 ton doesn't even know the 20ft trailer is behind it and feels very nice. I pulled it once with a 1 ton like DJP's and it would do 100mph with the trailer no problem

thanks for the thread I need to get mine out and clean it up and get the crap out of it.

Also if you'd like to pull around a 20ft sometime to see how it feels with your FixOrRepairDaily I'll let you try it. You'll be ok with the little truck and a 20ft.

I haven't watched prices on these so don't know how they have dropped good luck finding a good one.

A lot of these trailers are made by the same manufacturer and the different name brands are their different levels. I've seen lot's of Pace in Paddocks over the years.

Last edited by H20SKIER; 04-11-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:30 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Thanks guys!
I found a nice used Pace 22 footer that is loaded but it is a bit out of my price range and my wife is not on board with the whole idea... YET

F150 Crew cab 4x4 -- short bed (aka city truck)

I got rid off my F350 Crew cab 4x4 before I got my GT3 -- I should have kept it!

Pace
Haulmark
Wells Cargo

any other brands I should be looking at?

Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
I think you'll find that Pace and Haulmark are priced about the same and that the Wells Cargo seem to be about 25% more. You just want to make sure you check out the flooring in the used trailers.

I'd bet that this economy won't force a lot of people to sell these things. They don't cost that much and in the end not a lot of people really even have them. So look for some deals but it's generally hard to even find some used ones.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Hey PJ,

I posted a bit ago, but it didn't take. Here is a shorter version.

check out www.icscc.com/forums

Dave Haire (a friend of mine) has one for sale. That site is of and for local racers. Dave's is a 20 ft but I have never seen it personally.

A few things I learn when borrowing a trailer from a member lately:

1) Lights inside were very nice since I was pulling the car out before the sun was up.
2) Extended ramps were very nice given the low profile of the Lotus
3) The tie down tracks that run the length of the floor were very nice and allowed me to get the car situated just right.
4) A door on the driver's side about where the door of the car will be was very nice and allowed me to drive the car in and not use the winch.
5) A winch is nice to be able to get the car in on those days when Turn 3 at PR steals your splitter and you can't drive the car into the trailer.

My wife came on board with the trailer thing when I took her down to Infineon and Thunderhill a few weeks ago. When she saw first hand the cost of going to the track without a trailer, she (a CPA by trade) realized why it is important to me.

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 04-11-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:12 PM
^^i've got 4 of 5 of those

the 2o's don't normally come with that side door i just climb out of the window when i do drive it in

Old 04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
greggatkinson is a jewel in the roughgreggatkinson is a jewel in the roughgreggatkinson is a jewel in the roughgreggatkinson is a jewel in the rough
Some trailer input

PJS,

While I'd echo most of what's been said, after owning a half dozen different sizes and shapes as my sons racing has advanced I sure have developed opinions. I consider the 24' to be the "standard" length for a small car trailer. It's big enough to put a work bench up front and some tool storage as a bonus. I found that upgraded axle ratings started at 24' when I was shopping used also.

My favorite brands in order of preference:
-Optima (Aluminum-$)
-Featherlite (Alum-$ but not as "finished" as Optima)
-Pace "Shadow" (steel but nicely finished)
-Haulmark (steel but nicely finished)

I know you're looking for max value and I sure get that. My experience has been that you'll find something safe at $3,500.00 if you're careful. There are cheaper ones out there but you'll need to accept some compromises.

The left turning crowd shops on race junk. You'll be an expert after reading their classified for a few days:
www.racingjunk.com

At the end of the day the 1/2 ton is going to be a compromise for anything but local runs pulls. Pay attention to the load rating of your rear tires also. I bought a toter home with a lift gate last year. We may be able to have a fun event someday where I can haul 4'ish of our cars:

Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2009, 03:25 PM
PJS
I found a nice one on racing junk and sent the seller and email asking for for pictures
Pace 22 footer
loaded
Priced high

At this point my better half is not on board... so maybe have to put it off a little... but I will keep on her (pun intended)

Possibly sell my M5, get a trailer, and bank what is left over... that is my "end of days" angle with the Mrs...