Difficult Track Day to say the least.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:33 PM
EricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to behold
Difficult Track Day to say the least.

Like the title says it was a difficult day. Started off wet and could not get the power down coming out of any of the big turns, back end kicking out in all turns plus on the straights doing 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. Track dried off a couple of hours later and everything was great. Until I go off into turn 1 at 135mph right into heavy rain! My eyes are sponges and I look way down the track to see whats coming but never looking upwards to see if its a down pour. Needless to say I go off the track without incident and lucky too. A track prepped and well driven 911 lost control shortly there before turn 1 at speed. Did not see the car but that area is the fastest part of the track with concrete walls on each side. Last I heard was the medics were still checking them out. Then right before I decided to go back out a Boxster lost it at turn 9 going onto the straight bashing the nose on the outside wall and spinning 360 to end up on top of the inside wall. Had to get a forklift to get him off. Pretty sure both cars are in serious shape at best. Fortunately, I called it day deciding not to risk it. I had slid around enough and pushed my luck. The best part though was the big skid pad area since it was wet was fun to do dounuts and try to drift a little. Got the donuts down but to control a drift is an art form.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Wow Eric! Sounds like a very eventful day out there! Was it a proformance track day today? I'm glad you made it back without any issues!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 PM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
eric, was it you i spoke with before i took off for the day?

also, there was a wrecked e30 on turn 5a after i left. there were so many wrecks and even though the sun was starting to peak through i wasn't comfortable with what was happening. i was right behind the porsche that wrecked on turn one and it was not a good sight. i didn't see the boxster wreck, but heard it clear across the paddock, it sounded horrific. needless to say, i was done for the day. both these accidents happened within a half hour of each other. i didn't want to press my luck.

Last edited by lawin; 05-11-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Antroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant futureAntroiny has a brilliant future
Geez, what's going on? Why is everyone wadding up their cars at PR these days? Makes me think I should sit out on lapping days this year so that I don't become part of somebody else's incident.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 PM
huskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to all
*wipes sweat off of brow*

Some buddies and I were going to hit the track today, but we called it off on Friday due to weather forecast. Glad I didn't go!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:45 AM
EricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to beholdEricR is a splendid one to behold
Actually, it was a Park Place sponsored event. And lawin, that was indeed me. I will say it again, you are the MAN by flogging that car the way you did! Most would not have done it. I left shortly after you because I felt I had pressed my luck too. I am not surprise there was yet another spin afterwards. I want to change to Toyo RA1's 305front and 335rears before I go again though. I was sliding the nose though 5B which was costing me greatly.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
I had a day like that earlier this year... I think 48 people paid and only 11 or 12 showed...

Raining sideways all day

I was pushing hard through 8 to test the limits of adhesion on mostly worn out R888 -- spun twice there...

Coming out of 3b, car pointed straight, shifting from 3rd to 4th... code brown as I was instantly facing the grass wall on the left.

good learning environment for sure but not easy to stick around with all the carnage happening around you...

I will be out there on the 20th and 27th this month

Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I was hoping to use this opportunity to try a new line down into turn 3 but it seemed like I was always at that point either behind someone or had someone faster right behind me. If I can ever get that turn alone I was enlightened of a new line that is not taught that will benefit me greatly. I did incorporate the fogline from 6 up through 7 into my line. What a difference it makes in speed through that section to setup for 8. And 8 was slippery for me every single time yesterday. Even maintenance throttle would kick the *** end out.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:42 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
I thought the mantra of you track junkies was "Take it to the track, it's much safer than the public roads". What's up with all these "incidents"? At this rate I'm not sure I'd feel safe in the parking lot.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:45 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
I'm glad to see everyone came out ok.....Track days in the rain are fantastic learning experiences if used properly. It sounds like a few didn't. That's too bad.

Patience is 98% of track use. 2% flooring it. Unfortunately I think most of these types of track days are the opposite.

Proformance typically does a great job so I'm sure in the end. All but the couple of cars were safe and that's good.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
I think it has already happened in the recent past, but what I fear is two cars getting tangled up with each other and having a real bad incident with people getting seriously injured. It would definitely put a damper on future track activities. It is my perception that quite often people get caught up in the excitement and turn an innocent lapping day into some sort of race, which is further exacerbated by the differences in the cars on the track and the experience of their drivers. I pray it never happens.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
I think it has already happened in the recent past, but what I fear is two cars getting tangled up with each other and having a real bad incident with people getting seriously injured. It would definitely put a damper on future track activities. It is my perception that quite often people get caught up in the excitement and turn an innocent lapping day into some sort of race, which is further exacerbated by the differences in the cars on the track and the experience of their drivers. I pray it never happens.
In my recent experience, especisally with Proformance, this is not the case at all.

I have done 20+ lapping days with them in the last year and half or so and their SCCA school, and the prevailing attitude is not one of "impromptu racing" at least from my perspective. Everyone is aware of the potential consequences and takes them seriously. Proformance encourages you to come to them right away if something is happening that is not to your liking (bump drafting, passing in the no passing zones, passing without a point by, etc) so they can address it immediately. I have never felt the need to report anything.

As to the track being more or less dangerous than the street... it is all driver... lapping days are not designed to be an all out speed fest... there are no trophies, no prize money, no trophy girls etc... the reward is the knowledge gained and the improved skills.. time spent with like minded people doing something you like to do etc...

I have never spun my car out or off the road on the street... I do not push it hard enough on the street to do that. I have on the track. Does that make the track more "dangerous" -- no... you can safely push your car on the track in ways that you cannot on public streets and if you pick your "turns" on the track (like turn 8 at PR), then the consequences of pushing too far can be controlled in ways that they cannot be on the street.

Larry you have done every Porsche school except for the legends class I presume... I think you would like the Proformance days and the culture that they cultivate.

It is not death race 2000 out there...

Rain days, as Mark said, are great learning days. My last rain day, all 11 people in attendance walked the track with two instructors talking about driving PR in the rain. Sure there were some spins.. but that particular day there was no carnage to speak of...

I have also not seen or been a part of any car to car contact ever at the track with Proformance... in jest, accidentally, or otherwise... about the biggest thing I have seen is someone not watching their mirrors so they are delinquent in the point by... not that big of a foul in the big picture.

Have I seen carnage -- yes... but not as a result of impromptu racing etc... just a driver pushing beyond his/her limits or their car's limits etc. It happens but that is also part of the learning process... learning "how to spin" etc is part of the learning process... carnage can be a by product and some of us have insurance and some do not... but it can be bought on a per day basis for anyone that wants it.

I digress -- come out and visit and see what you think or ask one of the other "regulars" like trevor or roman etc...

The majority of my lapping days have been with proformance so I cannot speak to the other organizations etc.. but I have also done a couple speedware days and they were of the same vein in terms of safety and culture etc..

Old 05-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Mack Pence is a jewel in the roughMack Pence is a jewel in the roughMack Pence is a jewel in the rough
i had a day just like that last week. it happens to everyone

Old 05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Initially, I was going to ask why even go when the weather is foul but after taking a step back and thinking about it, I realize that Mark, PJ, etc are correct, this is a huge learning opportunity but like the saying goes, absolute power corrupts absolutely. I have run into quite a few folks who have egos that were bigger than their common sense. Bad things happen when that comes into play. I'd be much more comfortable driving on the track with people that are capable of keeping themselves in check. Unfortunately that's not always going to happen. On another note, I rode my motorcycle not too long ago during a track day sponsored by Eastside Motosports and they did a great job making sure that everyone was comfortable. I never once felt threatened at all nor did I feel "pressured" to do things beyond my own abilities. A great atmosphere for riding that day.

In any case, PJ, like Larry, I've done every Porsche school except the Legends course and I've learned immensely from each and every one of them. I'm heading to Laguna Seca in a few weeks for their 2 day high performance Skip Barber course. I'm looking forward to that. I don't feel the need to go back to the Legends course at this time. I'm waiting until they offer Turbos with 6 speed manuals. They currently only offer tiptronic Turbos.

I'm sidestepping the original issue here. Eric, I'm glad to see that nothing happened to you and I feel for those that did have an incident that day.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Jeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to beholdJeffhay is a splendid one to behold
PJ sums up the lapping day experience perfectly. See you there on the 27th.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Difficult Track Day to say the least.