Lo Jack? what do you think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 AM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
Lo Jack? what do you think?

Hey guys,

I've never had LoJock on my cars. Dealer wanted to sell it to me for $900. Do you use it? is it worth it? not a ton of money, but wasn't sure if it really made a difference. thx, t

Old 09-27-2009, 04:09 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Modern cars have so many antithefts in the form of key transponders that having your car stolen would require the key. So unless your keys are kept in an unsafe place lo jack is just a rip off. Broken widows to steel personal belongings or vandalization are far more common place, and there isn’t much you can do about that other then have insurance.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:02 PM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
My car is keyless and has transponder, but didn't come with antitheft alarm system. i will probably just leave it alone

Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
I guess it depends on the type of security system the car has.. I had LoJack iinstalled in my old H2 and Escalade..and the price was more than $900... each of those vehicles had decent alarm systems but neither a transponder key.. I am pretty sure I got a break on the insurance premium and it did offer piece of mind when parking downtown or other sketchy area's like shopping malls etc. However that being said, I opted not to install LoJack in the 4 vehicles I bought following the H2 and Escalade... The crappy thing about Lo Jack is that it is NOT transferrable once you sell the vehicle- which surprised me..

Old 09-27-2009, 07:30 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Most vehicles stated using transponder chips back in the mid 90’s. They are built into the key itself which is why you can’t just go to the homedepot and get a key cut. It may turn the ignition cylinder, but won’t actually start the car. Newer style “keyless go” cars like you just got are fairly unstealable. Even Escalades and H2s have micro chipped keys. There is a reprogramming procedure in the manual that involves using a key already programmed to initiate. The only way to actually have your car stolen nowadays is to loose a key, have a key stolen, or to have a tow truck. We’re not talking Honda civics and gone in 60 seconds anymore. LoJack is good for an insurance break, or if you have children or girlfriends with access to the keys. Obviously who you have your insurance with will determine if its worth it or not.

When are we going to see some pics of the new toy btw?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
Most vehicles stated using transponder chips back in the mid 90’s. They are built into the key itself which is why you can’t just go to the homedepot and get a key cut. It may turn the ignition cylinder, but won’t actually start the car. Newer style “keyless go” cars like you just got are fairly unstealable. Even Escalades and H2s have micro chipped keys. There is a reprogramming procedure in the manual that involves using a key already programmed to initiate. The only way to actually have your car stolen nowadays is to loose a key, have a key stolen, or to have a tow truck. We’re not talking Honda civics and gone in 60 seconds anymore. LoJack is good for an insurance break, or if you have children or girlfriends with access to the keys. Obviously who you have your insurance with will determine if its worth it or not.

When are we going to see some pics of the new toy btw?
This is true, but I can guarantee a Escalade and H2 is stolen every day. If you have a car that's likely to get stolen, it's not a bad idea. It never hurts to have extra insurance.

John

Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 PM
thanks guys. i will talk with my insurance guy. i'll take pictures soon.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by detailjohn
This is true, but I can guarantee a Escalade and H2 is stolen every day. If you have a car that's likely to get stolen, it's not a bad idea. It never hurts to have extra insurance.

John
Their (H2, Escalades) attractiveness to thieves was exactly why I opted for Lo Jack.. And I may not have used the correct verbage regarding "transponder". I was referring to the key 'chip' that mates with the car (which ironically arent even keys but more of an electronic fob) and dont even necessarily have to put them into the ignition -much like my pops 08 CL550 AMG.. The EXT and H2 didnt have anything as advanced as the MB. The Escalade was more advanced than the H2 but not even in the same ballpark as whats in the current German line up.
~T

Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 PM
apexcarver is infamous around these parts
I have it in most of my cars. Better to be safe than sorry.