How many of you saran wrap your cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 AM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
How many of you saran wrap your cars?

Just curious to see who wraps their cars with some kind paint protector and is it really necessary? does it really save your paint from rock chips? I've had it on two cars and honestly i think it looks terrible. I'm hesitant to put anything on my new car. thoughts?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:07 AM
rutiger is infamous around these parts
it no doubt helps save the paint, but i too think it generally looks like ***. i have never used it on any vehicle. also certain color cars seem to hide it better than others. on a black car it's quite noticeable. that's probably why i haven't done it as i've had a lot of black cars.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
A good quality film will protect your new car's finish, but it does require some maintenance. Wax the film once a month, or after a long drive when you get bugs on it, and the film should look crystal clear for years to come.

John

Old 10-24-2009, 11:17 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
I'm going to have to wax the film once a month. I've only waxed 1 car since I was 16.....John u got some splaining to do........

Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
Wilcox,

I think it really depends on what you want out of the car. Is it a car that you drive often and want to pass it on to the next owner with perfect paint without repainting? Then Yes, a fim is a great.

In my case, I like to have a black car that looks reasonable and gets tracked often. If I didn't have a film, I'd have a mostly fiber glass colored car by now, as the track sandblasts the paint pretty harshly. So I have afilm and actually plan to replace it soon. Most of my paint work is perfect except for some ***&&**t who bumped me in a parking lot a year ago.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:10 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
I have a hard enough time just getting saran wrap out the the damn box in order to wrap up a cookie let alone wrap my car. =D

Last edited by BoxsterGirlie01; 10-24-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
mjf
mjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud ofmjf has much to be proud of
I'm pretty happy with the "starshield" on my car. Though the lines where it ends are a little too obvious to me. There are aftermarket version you can get that provide more full coverage and match the seams though, I imagine the same is true for you.

I have it on the nose, the panels under the doors, and behind the rear wheels. Basically wherever my wheels will kick rocks up, and the front. I'm definitely happy with it.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:11 PM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
thanks guys, i have 3M on my benz and it looks like *** already. starting to bronze or something. i think i'll leave her naked....i like 'em that way

Old 10-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by willcoxmd
thanks guys, i have 3M on my benz and it looks like *** already. starting to bronze or something. i think i'll leave her naked....i like 'em that way
If you put a full Venture Shield, full hood, full fenders on your blue M3, it will be totally invisible. Venture Shield also holds up much better than the 3M to yellowing, and is warrantied for life.

John

Old 10-24-2009, 09:17 PM
ishmerc is infamous around these parts
waste of money and it look ugly

Old 10-24-2009, 09:41 PM
rbuisa is infamous around these parts
I have 3m on my black car. No issues. wrapped front bumper, hood, hips and rear bumper. I am glad I did.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:38 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
As others have stated, I think the most important aspect is who do you have applying the film. I have it on mine and couldn't be happier (done by Premier in No. Cal.). Most people who have seen my car can't even tell it's on until I tell them. Also, I think it's important that you do the whole hood rather than a partial as the line across the hood is pretty obvious to me (as well as the fact that on a 997 I've heard that due to the shape, lots of the rock "hits" end up being high up on the hood). I'd say if you do it, go for the whole hood, front bumper, front quarter panals, and side view mirrors. Here's a pic.

Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2009, 11:54 PM
apexcarver is infamous around these parts
3M sucks...Venture Shield is Awesome!! I redid all my cars after I discovered how good Venture Shield is. Like others have said it is greatly dependant on who installs it. Ben Williams @ Park Place installed mine and I would recommend him to anyone. Although it sounds like Jon knows his stuff as well.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:38 AM
YZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the rough
wrap

My car is pretty well wrapped, bumper, hips and such looks great on my car.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:44 AM
thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many of you saran wrap your cars?