Installer Review - CarNutz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:29 PM
huskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to allhuskylawyer is a name known to all
Installer Review - CarNutz

Felt like giving a review of a local installer for the benefit of the 6speed community…

As some of you know, I have an 08 E63. Prior to my most recent modding, I used Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue. I like BenchMark, but I wanted to test the waters to compare services. Thus, when I decided to install a Meisterchaft GT exhaust and carbon fiber spoiler to the car, I decided to go with CarNuts.

The Good –

Customer Service - Joel and Jim were easygoing and nice to work with. They took the time to answer all my questions, and responded to my emails and calls promptly. I enjoyed dealing with them.

Price – I thought the rates were reasonable. They clearly communicated to me the cost of the install, and didn’t nickel and dime me. The CF spoiler was priced below quotes I received from other places. I bought the exhaust from somewhere else, and they had no problem installing it (Benchmark seems hesitant to install stuff not purchased from them). They came in within budget, which was appreciated. They charged me for a car wash (took it next door to park place car wash place), but can't really complain as they told me about this cost beforehand.

Exhaust Install – I have no complaints with the exhaust install. It looks and sounds great. I looked under my car and everything looks clean. Thumbs up!

Light and Reasonable Up-selling. They didn’t hound me like a used car salesman for upgrades. They mentioned that I should get an x-pipe, and they fully explained the pros and cons. I liked their approach to getting more work.

The Bad -

Attention to detail – I wasn’t happy with the carbon fiber spoiler install. I had them install it without the gloss coating, and I noticed that it wasn’t completely flush with my trunk in certain areas. I want an OEM look, and I didn’t think this would be difficult. I soured on the matte finish, therefore I asked CN to gloss it up and install it again. (not their fault, just changed my mind). However, with the new install, I specifically told them that I wanted it completely flush with my trunk, and I even told them to spare no expense, whether it required modifying the spoiler, fabricating something, whatever. Well, low and behold, I picked up my car (after leaving it with them for a few days), and there are still gaps in certain areas between the spoiler and my trunk. What further annoyed me is that when I called them to pick up my car (on their assurances that my car would be done on time before I dropped it off), they said the resin underneath the spoiler need more time to bake. I gave them my car on Friday and picked it up on Tuesday, so they obviously installed on Tuesday. The gaps were not caused by the early pick-up (they said it baked for 6 hours instead of the required 9) as the spoiler gaps were there when I picked up the car (i.e., regardless of the “bake time,” the spoiler still had gaps).

I just don’t understand this. I could understand if I was asking for some crazy custom work, but a small spoiler on trunk? Unfortunately, I will simply do it myself. Sure, I could hound them for a re-install, but frankly, I value my time, and the drive to Bellevue and dealing with the hassle really isn’t worth it. Also, there are two small spots on the spoiler where the gloss came off or didn't apply properly. It isn’t really noticeable to someone not looking for it, but I notice everything. I was fairly disappointed with the install.

Conclusions -

Back to BenchMark (unless someone can give me some recommendations). CarNuts almost made it, but they just need to step up their game with respect to details. Give them an A+ on the exhaust install, and a C- on the CF spoiler.

Just my 2 cents! Not intended to be a flame of CarNuts, as again, they did some things well, and others, not so well.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Try Jim at Advanced Auto Design