Thinking of trading my '08 Turbo for Barrier's 2010 Basalt GT3, need advice....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gretapass
(Mark, I can't believe you said "Turbo's suck" - I know you didn't mean that).

By the way, I tried to sell my 2004 C4S on my own 1.5 years ago and had a very hard time. Barrier ended up getting me my full price and everyone on 6speed was amazed what a great deal I got (they sold it for me on consignment). I was very pleased with the arrangement.
Don't forget Mark owns a older 993 TTS, so he can't hate them that much.

To this day I still can be believe how much you got for your C4S!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Rams86 is infamous around these parts
Good comments as always ladies & gents!

Larry - Basalt Black is really holding me back! The numbers you quoted are sobering for sure. Steven let me take the '07 Cobalt GT3 home for the night (I believe it was Ray's old car) Unfortunately, it was raining heavily so I'm hoping for dryer roads tomorrow to see how I like it. I feel like a friggin tool driving it as it has a large "warranty" sticker on the passengers window, a $107,995" sticker on the lower passenger wondshield, and a "Porsche Approved" banner across the top of the windscreen! Please send me that Turbo pricing list BTW!

Stealth993 - I know you are right with regards to hp being relative which is why I'm hoping to experiences the differences with the '07 model before making my decision. I believe the new GT3 has a hp/weight ratio (435 hp / 3,100 lbs = 7.12 lbs) that is very similar to thje new Turbo (500hp / 3,450 lbs = 6.9 lbs) Of the little I drove tonight, I def. agree that the surge down low is no comparison in the 3.

Hot Shot - Although $90k seems like a generous offer in this market, it's irritating for me to think that Barrier will sell my car for $115k sticker and make $25k...ok, really $15k after I consider the tax credit but still! They have a poorly optioned '07 Turbo with loose tailights and 22k miles that they are selling for $100k. My car is relatively loaded andhas 17k miles.

Vincent - Yes, I agree I think the 2010 Turbo with PDK will be a mind blowing! Check out this video of an early preview (hopefully not already posted ride!) I love the launch control. Porsche is claiming 3.2 seconds but many belive it will break into the 2's on independent testing gear....just insane

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/91...and-video.html

I want to experience all of the advancements the new car brings to the table. (PDK, DFI, Torque vectoring, revised intake manifold...and of course pavement warping torque!)

It just seems the Turbo offers more of this than the "old school" technology of the GT3. And Stephanie just bougt a new Boxster S (an untitled '08) so its a great alternative especially come spring.

Jason - Ha! attention deficit disorder for sure! I probably need to go for a spin in your beast to see the full potential that your mods can provide! And, I didnt need to see that white GT3 picture, you're not helping! (A friend of mine was at Spokane Porsche tonight and called to say they have a cream white GT3 sitting in the showroom sold)

Mark - I love the comments! Maybe at 45 I'm having another mid life crisis and need to have the biggest stick on the block! I just love the bullet proof reliability of the Turbo. Plus, driving a Porsche still lets you remain somewhat "under the radar screen" Show up anywhere in a Ferrari and people are snapping pictures, following you home etc. Most people dont even notice there are differences among the 911 family.

Don't get me wrong though, if I have a CGT, I would happily deal with the frenzy driving one would create! (Please take me for a ride sometime soon dad!) Honestly, I wish I was a tenth of the driver that most everyone on this board is! I'm a hack for the most part and part of me also likes knowing the Turbo will probably saves me in many situations.

Nearly everytime I enter a freeway and no one's around, I pound on the boost - no 5 bar's here my man! I paid for 17 psi, and damnit I intend to use it! Sadly, I think you are right on with "we'll be having this same cnverstaion in 12 months"

Porsche will announce a 550 hp "S" version with painted night illuminating paddle shifters for 2012 and I'll be miserable at the news! Hopefully I wont be broke though and I'll happily step up to drink the Kool aid once again!

I'll let everyone know what I think of the GT3 tomorrow! Thanks! Brad

Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Please send me that Turbo pricing list BTW!

I will, if I can get your e-mail address. (Send it by PM)

To change directions - have you ever considered taking a Porsche Sports Driving School class? They now have turbos in their fleet. Both Jason and I have benefited greatly from these classes. You may come away surprised as I did that the turbo and GT3 are overkill for 99% of the roads we have in the US. Had I known what I learned in Birmingham and at Skip Barber's school at Laguna Seca I probably would have bought a Carrera 2S or a Boxster S and saved a XXXXload of money in the process!

If all you want to do is impress the neighbors, get a Bugatti Veyron. There ain't anybody going to top you on that one. Or if you need pressed into the seat acceleration get the Corvette, probably the best for aim and shoot driving.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't worry about the color, black when taken care of is pure sex, it just glows! We have a few good local detail shops.

Besides the HP difference, they are truly 2 different cars. The turbo is plush & smooth, quiet, confidence inspiring. The GT3 is a puma ready to pounce, it's raw, tense, nervous, poised, & a little scary. The power comes on so quick, & the power toward redline is insane! You are moving your power in the turbo down low, for a rocket ship up top in the GT3. You need better driving skills to drive the GT3 as fast as the Turbo.

GT3's have also been known for reliability, & are one of the more reliable modern P-cars.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
oufan2929 is infamous around these parts
From what I've read, it sounds like you may never utilize the GT3's capabilities. In all fairness, most GT3 owners probably do not possess the ability to take a GT3 to it's full potential. If it were me, I'd save the $50k and spend $10k on an upgraded suspension and exhaust. Every time I've ever modified a car to my liking, I end up falling more in love with it! Can't go wrong either way, but taking a hit on your turbo car and then taking another $60k hit in 2 years on the GT3 would just hurt imho...Good luck!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say that Mark could/would/does easily push the GT3 to the edge and hold it there, and he's the only GT3 owner I happen to know.

And nobody NEEDS to push a car to it's full capabilities. A lot of any enthusiast purchase is the fun that comes with change and variety. If he's had numerous Turbos, a GT3 could be a great change of pace. See what the guys at Porsche really have to offer.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Kristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud of
Nissan GT-R might be interesting too compare.nissanusa.com lets you compare some features, etc with 2010 Porsche GT3 and 2010 Turbo

There's probably other not so "flashy" cars in that price range too.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
So if you can't push a car to it's limit you shouldn't buy one? If that's the case there would be no market for street legal sportscars. Because 99% of the drivers are incapable of pushing their sportscars to the limit on the streets. Buying a car like the GT3 or the Turbo so that you don't have to push it the limit and still be fast as hell. You can just drive 50% and still kick some serious butts and put a smile on your face. Same goes with owning a Ferrari. You don't have to drive miles and miles to be happy with it. It's a different type of ownership experience where some owners can feel complacent by just looking at it or take it out for coffee, etc... Do you wear your most expensive suits everyday?

Last edited by vincentdds; 12-01-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:11 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Please send me that Turbo pricing list BTW!

I will, if I can get your e-mail address. (Send it by PM)

To change directions - have you ever considered taking a Porsche Sports Driving School class? They now have turbos in their fleet. Both Jason and I have benefited greatly from these classes. You may come away surprised as I did that the turbo and GT3 are overkill for 99% of the roads we have in the US. Had I known what I learned in Birmingham and at Skip Barber's school at Laguna Seca I probably would have bought a Carrera 2S or a Boxster S and saved a XXXXload of money in the process!

If all you want to do is impress the neighbors, get a Bugatti Veyron. There ain't anybody going to top you on that one. Or if you need pressed into the seat acceleration get the Corvette, probably the best for aim and shoot driving.
I do agree with you Larry, that schooling is the best way to learn to explore the car's capability. The more you drive with others on the track the more you realized how much you need to learn to manhandle these 400-500hp cars. However most of us are not retired and only have time to do Proformance during lunch time.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 AM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vincentdds
I do agree with you Larry, that schooling is the best way to learn to explore the car's capability. The more you drive with others on the track the more you realized how much you need to learn to manhandle these 400-500hp cars. However most of us are not retired and only have time to do Proformance during lunch time.
When are we going to see you out there, VincentDDS? Also, to Larry's point, the 6Speeder named North Van comes down from Canada regularly to Proformance days and spanks most GT3 and TT drivers with his C2S. There is something to be said for driver skill and knowing your weapon!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by StorminS4
I'd say that Mark could/would/does easily push the GT3 to the edge and hold it there, and he's the only GT3 owner I happen to know.

And nobody NEEDS to push a car to it's full capabilities. A lot of any enthusiast purchase is the fun that comes with change and variety. If he's had numerous Turbos, a GT3 could be a great change of pace. See what the guys at Porsche really have to offer.
U forgot PJ
I know he's never around because his wife rations his freetime but he does track his gt3 or so he says

Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Kristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud of
bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml might help with considering your options too. The Westfield XTR2 beat the Zonda a while back and is quite affordable but not luxurious and a bit "flashy" too.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Eliseguy
U forgot PJ
I know he's never around because his wife rations his freetime but he does track his gt3 or so he says
You're right. I did forget PJ.

Doesn't Brian (Senna) have one too?

Old 12-02-2009, 03:07 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Yes Brian has a GT3 as well.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM
So GT3 or Turbo?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my '08 Turbo for Barrier's 2010 Basalt GT3, need advice....