Thinking of trading my '08 Turbo for Barrier's 2010 Basalt GT3, need advice....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I saw that GT3 at Barrier the other day. I was drooling. Looks fantastic in that color.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
BritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to beholdBritBlaster is a splendid one to behold
After reading this thread and your other one, I'd say cancel the PCCBs. Save yourself 8 large. Unless you're tracking the car regularly, there's no benefit to them. Steel brakes are perfectly cabable of locking up the tires just as PCCBs are, and the laws of physics provide PCCBs with no better stopping advantage to steel. PCCBs depreciate extremely quickly too -- you'll get pennies on the dollar in a year when you want to get the GT3 RS.
Ask yourself this question -- "did I ever experience fade with the brakes on my turbo?". Given what Mark says about your driving style, and what you've said yourself, I would say the answer to this question is "no", so go for steel -- you'll save enough to be able to take the "little lady" to Canlis once a month for two years!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
^^^Brad has one incoming already as mentioned in another thread he started and it does have PCCBs. We had a discussion about it at one point and Brad absolutely loves the ceramics especially on a street car. I'm not sure if he ever plans to track it either but I definitely agree with you that steel rotors are better for that.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:25 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
I don't think Brad will track it....Once he's driven it he's going to clear out his front wall and park it in the living room and shine it every night

Steel brakes on cars are the way to go always imho.......i think pccb's are only good for 2 things. A) With the slightest hint of hitting the brakes throwing someone through the window. Hence NO GOOD AT ALL for heal toe driving and 2) Making sure the Clean Freaks of the NW keep their wheels clean with no brake dust

To this day my Fcar brakes still throw me for a loop. I just can't used to something that grabs so fast and too quick but I don't have to heal toe those italian jobs so in the end it's not as bad

Old 12-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
It sounds like I'm late to the party (as usual) but just wanted to mention that I did read a pretty good thread about 2 997 TT owners who got a chance to drive the 997.2 TT on track. The summation was that both really liked the changes that Porsche made to create the 997.2 TT, but neither thought that the car was different enough from their existing 997s to fork over the money for them. The PDK, although obviously mind-numbing for acceleration when paired with launch control, was deemed to be so mechanically unsympathetic that it remained something that you'd only want to do with someone else's (aka Porsche demo) car.

Best wishes, as it sounds like you did place your order for a 997.2 TT. I hope you enjoy it even more than your existing 997 TT.

*edit* Saw you bought the 2010 GT3 instead. Nice!

Last edited by Steve Theodore; 12-16-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Brad, we enjoyed the dinner conversation wtih you last weekend and I can't wait to see your new GT3. Remember, if you need someone to pick it up for you, I am happy to help!!