Thinking of trading my '08 Turbo for Barrier's 2010 Basalt GT3, need advice....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Rams86 is infamous around these parts
Thinking of trading my '08 Turbo for Barrier's 2010 Basalt GT3, need advice....

I am an infrequent poster but long time lurker. Jason helped me take delivery of my Arctic Silver 2008 Turbo almost 2 years ago and it's been a fantastic car. The straight line power and torque is amazing and I optioned the car exactly as I wanted it: PCCB's, Axel Lock, Sport Shifter, adaptive seats, Chrono, Thicker Wheel, and a variety of interior options like painted seat backs and center console.

I've put 17,000 miles on her but now I'm itching for a change and Barrier has a beautiful 2010 GT3 that is optioned almost as if I would have ordered it: PCCB's, Dynamic engine Mounts, Axle Lift System, adaptive seats, Chrono, Nav.

It has an insane amount of interior options that look great but has balooned the sticker to $149k. It's also Basalt Black and that would not be my first choice as I was thinking more along the lines of white after four consecutive silver Porsche's. Barrier's Steve Cho was as always very generous and let me take the '10 on a short test drive but I cant really say I explored the limits and handling of the car during such a short drive. It did sound intoxicating compared to the Turbo though!

I guess I have several questions/comments for the group that I'm hoping you could chime in on:

1.) I'm not a huge track junkie but do enjoy tours and back country driving. How badly would I miss the power, and especially the torque, of the Turbo compared to the GT3?

2.) I am also contempalting a 2010 Turbo that would be essentially the same cost as the GT3 and feel I would be getting to experience more of Porsche's latest technology (PDK,DFI, Torque Vectoring) by going the Turbo route. Do you feel the same way or does the answer to that question really lie in my intended use of the car?

3.) What would you accept as a fair trade in value for my car? Again, it has 17k miles and originally stickered for $146k. Auction prices seem to be $83k-$85k with my mileage and I know options count for nothing! teve Cho mentioned Barrier might be able to go to $90k trade in if they can get a quick turn on my car.

4.) I own the Turbo free and clear and would I be better served to sell on my own or via consignment? I know the market to sell toys is horrendous but Edmunds says the Turbo trade in value is $99k, Private party is $106k, and Dealer retail is $112k. Barrier has a compairtively poorly optioned 2007 Turbo with 22k miles for sale for $100k.

At any rate, I'm looking for that next vehcile and I'm hoping the court can chime in before I make a too quick of a decision.

Thanks - Brad

Old 11-29-2009, 11:12 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
brad u know my opinion...turbo's suck

You will like the gt3 experience more and the way you drive you don't need the extra 100hp.

there is no such thing as a fair trade in value right now and barrier giving you 90k is them also asking full boat on the gt3. I don't think Porsches should sell full msrp right now. Barrier doesn't lower his prices. He has a captive audience of full price paying eastsiders to line his wallet.

The Gt3 will surprise you on it's speed and it's transmission and rpm's are just so much more fun. If you need that sudden burst of speed KEEP your Turbo and forget about the trade in and or new car. Cho will sell another car

Or keep the turbo and add a different beast. Ferrari Challenge Stradale. Best of both worlds and you will have some decisions to make on what you drive on a date with S...

don't try to sell it on your own in this economy. if you are going to get another dump it for trade in value plus sales tax advantage which adds another 8k or so to your trade in value. You don't want to sit around hoping someone calls on another silver porsche turbo for sale.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Rams86 is infamous around these parts
Mark - Yes, there's no way I'd offer full MSRP on my next Porsche! Not after getting destroyed on the last two Turbos! My '08 will have depreciated nearly $60k in under two years! A Ferarri would be great but I dont think I fit the Ferarri profile as I actually like to DRIVE my cars!

I talked to Roberto at F of S once and said "I like to drive my car's about 9,000 miles per year" and he looked at me like I was from Mars! Bruce has owned his '07 F430 coupe for thirty-three months now and it has 5,400 miles on it...that's 163 miles per month! I'll do that on a nice Saturday drive!

I agree that I dont really want to sell on my own and wait for people who turn out to just be looking to kick tires and checking off cars on their "to drive" lists!

BB

Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
They must really want to sell the GT3 to offer you around $90k on the turbo. Usually they totally low ball you.

HP is relative. The power delivery is going to be totally different! There is no wait, but you will not have that surge down low anymore. The GT3 will out handle the turbo, & feel much more connected. I know the 997TT has some weird handling at the limits. But that being said, it will NOT be as comfortable as the TT.

The new GT3 is my dream car, I want one so bad! I can't find anything wrong with it! My plan is to get one around 2015.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Steve Cho was as always very generous and let me take the '10 on a short test drive but I cant really say I explored the limits and handling of the car during such a short drive. It did sound intoxicating compared to the Turbo though!

Sound compared to the Turbo? Handling? Makes me wonder, have you added an after market exhaust and suspension to your Turbo? If not that maybe a far less expensive alternative to a new car. Basalt black is not a color it's a hobby. A new turbo with PDK and paddles and the other performance options you mention plus some of the exclusive options you would would want will easily run you north of $175K. The difference you'll pay Barrier is a pretty big hit for less than 20K miles of driving your turbo. BTW Steve sent me a PDF file of the new turbo price list. PM me if you want a copy without making Steve seem you are to anxious.

Notwithstanding what Mark said the GT3 might not be the best choice for the type of driving you seem to do, but if money is no object then go for it.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
I don't really have anything to add on top of what the others have already suggested. I would say that 90K on trade seems very generous.
I agree with Larry that maybe a few aftermarket goodies would cure that itch you have and save you a lot of money for the time being. Maybe in another year or two you could pick up a nice used 2010 GT3 for a lot less than new?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:42 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Brad

It's always nice to try something different. The the new 3.8L GT3 is a great choice. But I think the performance of the new Turbo w/ PDK is simply mind blowing. Another option is to keep your Turbo and add a Cayman S w/ PDK. I love this little car and/or the BMW 135i. They are so much fun and fast but without a lot of hassles that comes with an expensive car. Owning multiple cars will help you become a better driver as well as better appreciation for other platforms. Just don't get carry away and buy too many.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Kristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud of
There might be "relatively good" deals on pre-owned GT3 RS models too if that interests you - NOT_A_LINK_KEEP_ADMINS_HAPPY (I tried anyway) motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=porsche+911+gt3+rs&_sacat=6001&_trksid =p4506.m270.l1313&_sop=1&Model=911&Body%2520Type=C oupe&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&Make=Porsche&_odkw=&_osa cat=6001

Old 11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
If you are being offered $90k on your turbo and you can get $ off on the gt3 - go for it

gt3 seems to be a bargain compared to the new turbo

Old 11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
You've wanted to change your car for some time now, Brad. Could it be you're a victim of CADD or do you really find yourself with the "itch" only because you're bored with your Turbo. I'll bet you that you'll find yourself "bored" with the new 3.8L Turbo before too long. I'll share my experience with you. I was satisfied with my Turbo until Vince let me try his 997 GT3 and then that gave me the itch. I wanted the power of the Turbo coupled with the GT3 handling prowess. So, I got aftermarket suspension modifications for my Turbo and that did the trick for me. It sounds like you'd much rather leave yours stock though so perhaps the 997.2 GT3 would do the trick for you.

The only question you have to ask yourself right now is do you find yourself pressing the loud pedal more often than not? Then you have your answer.

Here's something to tempt you even further:

Old 11-30-2009, 06:11 PM
AlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to all
There are very few cars that I would take over a 2010 997TT with PDK. With minor suspension mods, OEM centerlocks, and aftermarket exhaust, this car is perfect.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:12 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
+1 with Simon's thoughts!

Old 11-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Former Vendor
roytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond reputeroytoy2003 has a reputation beyond repute
If you need help, I am here.

The sales tax advantage is HUGH and you should take advantage of it, which we can do for you as well..

We can also see if we can hget you a BETTER price for your trade in as well as search the rest of the USA stock for the same vehicle that you wish..

I am also always in the market to buy cars...and still get your sales tax credit...or just consign it for you if you wish.

Roy Cats

Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
The white one above is very pretty!!!! Personally I love my 2008 TT and for a daily driver you can't go wrong with the AWD, etc. Two of my buddies with GT3 wrecked them and have them no more! Both are obviously wonderful cars (Mark, I can't believe you said "Turbo's suck" - I know you didn't mean that).

By the way, I tried to sell my 2004 C4S on my own 1.5 years ago and had a very hard time. Barrier ended up getting me my full price and everyone on 6speed was amazed what a great deal I got (they sold it for me on consignment). I was very pleased with the arrangement.

Lots of choices. Good luck making such a fun decision!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:03 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Ok Greta Turbo's don't suck. I truly love all Porsches. My concern is they are a chunk on the boring side. Too many goodies. With the only real excitment being a boost from 2800 rpms to 6000 rpms than a shift.......

Ok time for Everyone here (including Brad) to get to know Brad. I've known him for a very Long time and I'm glad I do.

Brad is a perfectionist. Brad Loves Porsches yet can't make a large decision like this without something REALLY inspiring changing his ways. He has not ended up with a Silver TT for the last 3 on accident. He ended up with a newer version of the same car he's fallen in love with. He just gets to the Pull the trigger stage and decides. Hell why change now? I've driven a lot of miles with Brad. Anyone else? I know his style of driving very well. He does love the Boost that little spooling up Turbo gives him but I do know simply He will be changing his driving style soon. He's not 18 anymore and doesn't need the Boost as much as he thinks. Brad chime in if I'm wrong. I'd be willing to bet the last 10 times he's entered a freeway he barely got the boost above .5, Brad chime in if I am wrong!

Ok sales pitch #1 Keep the Turbo and don't upgrade to another. You'll will be having this same Thread conversation in 12 months. I guarantee.

Sales Pitch #2 I've told you for 2 years plus to get in my GT3 and take it for a spin. I've told you that 99% of Porsche driving excitment has nothing to do with straight line boost. You need to take a walk on the wild side. You need to realize what a car feels like at 7500 rpms taking a corner at 120 mph Or to your comfort 80mph Nothing feels better than a redlined gt3 coming out of a corner and shifting to 4th as it explodes past 100 You will LOVE IT. I promise. The gt3 is raw but civilized enough to take the little lady to Canlis.

That being said Larry's statement about Atlas Gray being a Hobby absolutely is hysterical and oh so true. You know this. You knew me when I had mine and your neighbor had it's hardtop brother.

Buy a GT3. Maybe Atlas Gray isn't the color but clean in the sun that Purple hint is insane.

On the Ferrari note Bruce doesn't count he's the typical Ferrari owner and he's boring. Sorry Bruce but it's true. I've put 10k miles on my spider 5k on my Scud and 4k on my CS in the last 1 1/2 years. If you get one drive the $h^t out of it. You will love it and if you care about resale on ANY car you are crazy my friend

just my 4 cents

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my '08 Turbo for Barrier's 2010 Basalt GT3, need advice....