Cross-Country Trip... in the winter time :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 AM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
Cross-Country Trip... in the winter time :(

I was thinking about making the trip across from NY-WA with the Porsche but soon realized that I'll be making this trip during the winter time.

With that said, I would prob be better off just putting the car up on a trailer and towing the trailer with a UHAUL.

Now.. I've never towed anything like a trailer with a car on it before. Yeah... I've done some convoys with military vehicles, but definitely didn't have something like a car on it.

Anyone got some insights? Pointers?

I'm trying to sort this out and do a DITY move and it came out to about $3000, but I'll have more than enough to cover that from the Army. This would be a second DITY for me but this is far more complicated. Anyone with some experience in this area would be greatly helpful.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Put some Nokians on it, and spend your money on a good clearmask and you're ready to go.

John

Old 12-20-2009, 01:23 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Watch the front lip with loading the car on to the trailer Check the tie down straps at every gas stop. The trailer will probably be an open front, so masking off the nose of the car would probably be a good idea, lots of rocks, sand, and silt will get thrown up from the two rig tires. No tarps or loose fitting covers, they will rub marks into your clear. There are also numerous transport companies that give you online quotes if you want to go that route. Even for cross country you can find ones that are fairly inexpensive, and the best part is they guarantee your car arrives as it left and are insured. Too bad you aren’t moving somewhere warm! I don’t know about you but I’m tired of winter already!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:48 PM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
I'd just truck it. I'm in Wisconsin now, having driven my H2 here from Kirkland. The roads vary so much and there is no way to pin down what you will run into and where. I see few cars pulling trailers and good luck if you're coming via I90 and you're driving through Idaho and western Montana. I see car-trailer accidents all the time. If you can wait until March, I think you'd probably be okay. I otherwise wouldn't risk pulling a trailer that route. Another option is to drive south, come across 40 or lower then go north on I5, depending on weather forecast. Also, I do get LOTS of rock chips on my H2 on this trip. In Montana they don't sand the roads, they GRAVEL the roads.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:57 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I just did the drive back from Vegas to Seattle and even that trip was pretty treacherous this time of year. Their are alot of mountain passes between here and NY are you on a tight time schedule?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
I did a marathon Philly to Seattle trip in my R8 this summer in 3 days taking the northern route, and although the weather was fairly cooperative, I ended up getting towed back from eastern Montana after hitting a large raccoon at night. You're considering doing it in the winter. There are too many things that can go wrong with the cold temps, ice, snow, the desolation on the highways between Chicago and Seattle, etc. It would be challenging in an SUV, I wouldn't personally try it in a low riding sports car this time of year. Even if you made it okay, your windshield will likely be completely sandblasted if you were going through the colder states.

If you try it, I wish you well and I hope you pace yourself, but I would not recommend you doing I-94 on the northern route as there are very little vehicles, towns and facilities in case you need something. I don't think I-80 would be much easier, but there are more towns. If it were me and I were going for it, I would head south as soon as I could to get down into the moderate temps, and head back through TX, NM, AZ, CA, then back up. But it would take longer. Best of luck whatever you decide.