Car Suggestions for a Teenager

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Horhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to all
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
i just passed a STI subaru. it looked cool. are those an impreza as well. awd less expensive? cant look it up driving to portland
Yeah STi is like AMG or M division. The long name for the STi is Subwru Impreza WRX STi, so they all start off as Imprezas. All of them since 1997 I think have been AWD, so there is no price difference. They come with (depending on year and model) 2.2L, 2.5L, 2.0T, 2.5T or the STi 2.5T. Also there are 4AT, 5MT, 6MT transmissions available also.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
I drove a modded STI last weekend that was 550 hp... it was very fun...

Old 01-20-2010, 07:40 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hot Shot
I would not recommend an Audi or VW. Terrible reliability with things like window regulators and coil packs.
For what it's worth, I've owned 3 Honda/Acura cars and never had a problem with them. Very reliable and great gas mileage too.
Coil packs are $30 and take minutes to change. It sounds like the kid would be capable of that. A lot of the VW/Audi guys keep one in the glove box if the originals have north of 75K miles on them.

I've had a couple from Honda/Acura (one of each), and they were bullet proof, but they're theft magnets.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 PM
warmmilk is just really nicewarmmilk is just really nicewarmmilk is just really nicewarmmilk is just really nice
^that says alot for reliability... keeping coilpacks in the glove box just in case... lol

agreed on the honda's, expecially the si and gsr variants... if he does end up getting one of those, make sure he gets a really nice alarm system with multiple switches installed (intec in kent is good for security systems). even then, the car can still get towed away... which is somewhat common for honda car thefts, cause thieve's are expecting some sort of alarm on the car...

Last edited by warmmilk; 01-20-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gungriffin
Just read through the thread and figured that I would post again to warn. DO NOT get a Lexus or an Integra. When I was 19 I was looking at an Integra because they are supposed to be fun, but the insurance was higher than insurance for a 01 911TT . It was going to be about 400 a month for full coverage. Then right before I turned 21 I made the mistake of buying a 1996 LS400 and the insurance was almost $500 a MONTH until I turned 21.
Probably because they are stolen so frequently........

Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Horhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PJS
I drove a modded STI last weekend that was 550 hp... it was very fun...
Mine is about 500 at the crank, which is great fun but not something I would suggest for a teenager.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Hot Shot
Probably because they are stolen so frequently........
I can completely understand on something like the integra having higher insurance now, but it didn't change my surprise when I saw how much it would be at 19 . I am guessing that parts would be the most expensive on the Lexus, but that one I am not sure on. I cannot ever remeber seeing a Lexus on a top 10 most stolen, but I always see integras SIs on the lists. That is the reason why I said an Accord. No one wants to steal one of those and the two doors look decent.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by warmmilk
^that says alot for reliability... keeping coilpacks in the glove box just in case... lol
I've got a spare and a jack too. Ya never can be to prepared, especially when prepared is cheap.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:24 PM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
1980 4 door Volvo Safe and he will not be sexually active until car # 2.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
nice stuff guys. thanks. holy crap $400-$500 month for insurance is more than the car in 1 year of insurance. who can afford that? my kids will walk for that much insurance money....

Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by btapp
Hahahaha... So funny because it's so true.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by btapp
ha ha According to Jermemy Clarkson then just make sure it isn't a station wagon

Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 PM
coverland is just really nicecoverland is just really nicecoverland is just really nicecoverland is just really nice
I'd recommend almost any Toyota out there. I owned an Accord for my first car- and it was great, but I was pretty consistently working on it... I don't drive them anymore, but Toyotas are awesome cars for someone who wants to be comfortable and not worry about maintenance.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by grambo
Older VW Scirocco!
-mechanically simple, made before VWs became unreliable mexican plastic pieces of crap. (they were built by Karmann)
-fun to drive and plenty of aftermarket stuff available

I tend to agree with the sentiment of just buying him something and telling him to live with it or buy his own car.
i had a friend with a scirocco in high school I did a autotrader search and only 2 cars listed in the entire country. one was a racecar

man....i'm still stuck on that 400 a month for insurance. my kids are walking. i pay 4 times that for all of my cars combined. hmmm

Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
i had a friend with a scirocco in high school I did a autotrader search and only 2 cars listed in the entire country. one was a racecar

man....i'm still stuck on that 400 a month for insurance. my kids are walking. i pay 4 times that for all of my cars combined. hmmm
^^^remind me to tell you our little insurance incident when my son was a teenager. Ultimately his autocross (which the insurance company discovered when Aaron was in a one car accident), got us kicked out of Safeco after 30years and with clean records and we had to go on high risk insurance (the three of us) at over $10,000 per year! The insurance companies do not like teenagers!!! Long story, but I'll share with you the next time I see you. We paid a price for years!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Suggestions for a Teenager