Lexus LFA requiring "approval" for purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Kristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TommyJames
It doesn't work that way. There are many things that are scarce that have no value. It's a supply/demand issue except in this case Lexus daftly thinks by "selecting" buyers they will create demand? Huh? Even if they used a different business model, I can't think of another car in the same category at the same price with such lame performance numbers that's selling.
Yeah, I don't agree with what they're doing. It certainly is overpriced. I'm wondering if they're trying to have it be a collector's car in the future as in the first in the line of their supercars (assuming they make more). I wonder how much racing they do.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:28 PM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ice350
I predict that Lexus will not only lease all 500 cars they will then re-sell them very quickly when they come off lease.
Remember, this is a lease only situation and they will have no problem getting them out the door.
Huh? Have you looked at the performance numbers and the price? Again, they are the ones claiming to decided who does and doesn't qualify. Nobody is selling cars at that price with those lame performance numbers. For $350k it's got to do something really special and it doesn't. A Scud can monkey-stomp the hell out of it for less money, with better brand value.

If this car was priced at $200k less, I think it would fit a segment of the market, but when you get up in the $350k range, there are better cars out there for the money.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I predict that the car will flop. Think VW Phaeton, a beautiful car, but nobody wants to spend a hundred grand on a VW. I think the same goes for a Lexus.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
I guess only time will tell. I do agree that there are more people out there with more money than sense and will plop the cash down for it.....

Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
its almost as fast as this^

but doesnt look as good, too many goofy lines.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 AM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
Yea, I think it will flop for many reasons. First price. When you get up in the $350k range there are few buyers out there with enough choices already and some cool stuff in the pipeline from companies that have experience in this arena. I don't care how it's "leased," The numbers aren't there. Unless it's a phony lease where the residual is artificially high and payments are much lower than a Gallardo or 458. Second, anyone buying a car in that segment looks at performance. Name one car in the same category and price with worse numbers. Third, I think people are tired with the typical Lexus, "look what WE carved out of a bar of soap!" look. The brand is oriented differently, similar to the example above with VW. Even BMW has had trouble making the category pen out and they at least have a driving reputation. Even Mercedes has had a tough time and at least that car has some impressive numbers behind it. Fourth, the whole notion that a customer has to be "selected by Lexus" is so arrogant that I can't imagine anyone in the exotic community feeling special when they get that particular call. I'm sure they will put a few out there. I expect some Japanese buyers with some national pride will be getting weepy-eyed over the thing, and there will be a few dealers who will get sucked in for "marketing purposes" but I've yet to meet an exotic owner who's looking forward to getting their hands on one.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
lol.....350k GTR thingy. I couldn't agree more. The 5 they sell will be to the top Toyota executives that pushed the gimic through. Doesn't that Nissan thing GTR out perform it by 30%? Didn't those things fizzle like a Punk 2 hours into the 4th of July? The Hype ended on GTR's quick and Lexus won't have but 50 people show interest and 5 buy ( lease LMAO )

Lease a 350k car what would that be 50k down 10k a month.

I agree 150% with Tommy. Crap the CGT's wanted a 1500 car run and had to end that short in the HYPE of the SuperCar market when Money was easy. Sorry Lexus you are 2 years behind and 250k over priced.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:45 AM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with you guys, but for some reason I still think they will somehow sell them lol. I wouldn't buy one... but you know the saying, there's a sucker born every minute.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
I know a sports team owner, and he told me that sometimes people just want to own what YOU can't, then remind you that they have it. There's a dozen or so out there that will buy this car for that reason, I think.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Yea, but you're assuming someone wants the car in the first place. The numbers just aren't there. It doesn't have the performance, history, price, style, etc., to attract 500 people worldwide in the first place, let alone make it so you must be worthy. I read a lot of blogs and I've yet to see anyone who can't wait to get one. The whole thing is silly. This was someone's ego trip within Lexus and it got carried away over time. Nobody wanted to step up and take a hard look at the business case, which I don't believe is really there.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Some of these comments sound like Lexus hatred plain and simple.
Some people want what others can't and only 500 models guarantee exclusivity.
If they were selling outright I would have doubts but since they ar eleasing only, I think they will move them.
Personally, I don't believe any car is worth more than 100K....and even that's high. In the end they are all a motor, a body, some seats and tires. They are transportation. It's ridiculous cars have evolved to such insane pricing.
But, it is what it is. If the LFA turns out to be as reliable as any Lexus but with 200 mph power, whay can't it command the big bucks?
Stop hating.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Eliseguy; 01-19-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
I respect all the comments here, but car enthusiasts make up only a segment of those that buy uber-expensive cars. Just like a hedge fund manager may buy a piece of art for $100 million that the majority of the collector community says isn't even art. There will be one at ERTC eventually!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
According to all the other threads people are glad to pay $350k in celebration of the carbon fiber body that is weaved on Toyota's own personal rotary loom. Never mind that its performance is worse than a $100k ZR1 a car that actually has some history!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:46 PM
No offense, Germeezy, but real estate moguls in Hong Kong don't buy Corvettes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA requiring "approval" for purchase