Fresh ideas for new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Horhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to all
Fresh ideas for new car

Like the title says, I've been looking into getting myself a more grown up toy, and I think I could use some fresh ideas. I have a couple of limitations that hinder my search quite a bit. First, my budget caps at 40k without trading anything (Id like to avoid trading my STi). Second, and maybe more aggravating, I'm 6'5". I recently looked at a 99 Viper and a 996 911, as well as an Elise, none of which I was able to even test drive due to ergonomics. I have found the Maserati Coupe to be comfortable and it's currently my leading contender.

Does anyone have any ideas? <$40k, somewhat exotic, 2 door (4 door possible), might fit a football player?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 AM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
SLK55 AMG, or perhaps even an SL55-65 if you don't mind a few years older...

One of the few cars that I think will fit. :-D

Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
M3's are in that range meow aren't they?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 AM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
In doing a bit of searching...

2001-2000 Aston Martin DB7

I've always wanted one of those.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
yeah they had a few of those when i picked up my lotus. I was tempted but didn't want to have to refuel that much.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Horhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to allHorhay is a name known to all
I had considered the DB7, might need to look into those a bit more.

I really like the SL's exterior but I'm not a fan of the interior. Too much wood and luxo buttons. I'll have to look at the SLK, I fear I'll look silly in one though.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:19 PM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Eliseguy
M3's are in that range meow aren't they?
Are we to count "meows"?

Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by TommyJames
Are we to count "meows"?

Old 01-24-2010, 01:48 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
850i. BMW V12

840i pictures...

Old 01-24-2010, 01:55 PM
speedneed is a jewel in the roughspeedneed is a jewel in the roughspeedneed is a jewel in the rough
i love 850s....

Old 01-24-2010, 02:13 PM
ME-109 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Horhay
I had considered the DB7, might need to look into those a bit more.

I really like the SL's exterior but I'm not a fan of the interior. Too much wood and luxo buttons. I'll have to look at the SLK, I fear I'll look silly in one though.
One important thing to keep in mind is that maintenance on a DB7 and Maserati Coupe is going to be expensive. This is the main reason why depreciation is so steep on these cars. The clutch on the Maserati Coupe needs changing regularly, that will run you anywhere from $3-5,000. They are both beautiful cars, especially the Aston, but you will still pay for the privilege of owning them.

I agree that the burl walnut wood in a lot of SL55s looks stupid. You can find some with black ash which looks better, a few with aluminum trim, but that looks pretty bland. If your lucky you can find one with the PP and it will have carbon fiber, which looks pretty good if your into that. There are a few companies that sell carbon fiber trim for the SL for around $2,000, you can replace it yourself, so that is an option. Get into a 05 or above if you can, the 03 and 04s have lots of issues with their electronics, inter-cooler pump on the supercharger, and airmatic suspension, plus the ancient command system. SL65s are going to still be expensive, a better value is a chipped SL600 which can be just as fast as a stock SL65, you lose all the AMG goodness like the upgraded suspension and huge brakes, but a chipped SL600 is a fantastic machine. Warning on the V12s though, maintenance is going to be expensive!

I ended up getting a SLK55 and I love it! It is just as fast as an SL55 and I think it looks even better. It is more of a sports car rather than the GT/Muscle Car that the SL55 is. It is SMALL though, I am 6'0" and I fit fine, but a lot of people just don't like small cars, but I think it is still a lot of fun. It doesn't have all the luxury features like auto cruise control and "massage" but those things don't really belong on a sports car. Get some exhaust work done and a few other little mods and you can get it up to 400hp, then you've got yourself a baby SLR. Test out a SL55 and an SLK55(if you can find one) and see if either fits your style.

Last edited by ME-109; 01-24-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
I've always thought the Gransport Maserati was cool looking. In your price range though expensive to maintain. The Ferrari 360 engine in them is very good. If you find one make sure it has Skyhook suspension the cars are fast. Very good in mountain twisties and highly capable above 130mph.

I like the suggestion of the BMW 850. They are a big GT car and can be had for like 15k or less. This will leave you with a lot of mechanics dollars.

Mercedes always seem to be suggested because they lose value so fast they fall into a lot of peoples buying budgets. I'd bet most of the owners only speak of 50% of their repair costs on these things in public though. I'd also bet they keep quiet about the many weeks of shop time you'd have to endure while owning one. Be aware is what I would say.

why not a brand new 2010 Camaro? Mine I love. It's fast and I think very good looking. You get 4 year warranty and should fit very easily inside. When you get home or if you are now send me a PM I'll let you drive mine anytime.

Last edited by H20SKIER; 01-24-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I had considered the Superlite Nemesis since I could keep driving my STi daily. I don't know if you guys have ever heard of that car, but its a single seat "kit car". Its powered by a Hiyabusa engine and can out lap a Ford GT. It costs about 20k without the motor or wheels/tires.

I appreciate the offer Mark, I'd be a fool to not take you up on the offer. Isn't your Camaro hooked up pretty well? I've been looking at the Challenger R/T, but they have quite the inflated "market value" addition.

So far I still like the idea of the Maserati best, partially because it has that Ferrari V8 (I thought it was a detuned F430 motor?). I also like that seems just that little bit more special than many of the other cars I can afford. Sometimes I think the styling seems a little bit safe, almost like a Nissan 350Z.

Loving the feedback guys, thank you.

Last edited by Horhay; 01-24-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I'm 6'5", and fit pretty well in my 996TT, but was a tight squeeze with a helmet on. You can get a 996TT for $40 and it is about the most fun for the money, reliable, stylish, and probably won't plummet too much in price.

John

Old 01-24-2010, 06:56 PM
When I tried to drive a 996 I had an extremely hard time reaching the pedals. Same with the Elise I tried.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fresh ideas for new car