My Bavarian beast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Jalpa_Mike is a jewel in the roughJalpa_Mike is a jewel in the roughJalpa_Mike is a jewel in the rough
I always LOVED the Bavaria!!! My wife and I had a 1974 model. The only thing I did to it in the 3+ years we owned it, was to replace the Zenith carbs with Webers.

Car ran like a kitten until the day I hit a dear with it out in Graham! Surprisingly, State Farm paid to have it repaired!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Kristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud of
That's cool, Mike. It sounds like you guys had a nice one.

I'm trying to weigh the options between getting the original engine going again (missing cylinder head and carbs) or just doing an engine swap to something more modern (fuel injected).

Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 AM
PWR2LBS has a spectacular aura aboutPWR2LBS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Jalpa_Mike
I always LOVED the Bavaria!!! My wife and I had a 1974 model. The only thing I did to it in the 3+ years we owned it, was to replace the Zenith carbs with Webers.

Car ran like a kitten until the day I hit a dear with it out in Graham! Surprisingly, State Farm paid to have it repaired!
Ugh! Zenith Carbs are the worst. Good call on the Webers! OP Great project, should be fun.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:04 PM
TWiTCHY has a spectacular aura aboutTWiTCHY has a spectacular aura aboutTWiTCHY has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Kristian

I'm trying to weigh the options between getting the original engine going again (missing cylinder head and carbs) or just doing an engine swap to something more modern (fuel injected).
Here's the craigslist ad for the engine: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1681045173.html

Complete means the transmission is included. While it's waiting for the LS1 you can test drive the car with the engine in it. Price is obo. Hope this helps you decide!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Kristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud ofKristian has much to be proud of
Thanks but $5000 seems a bit high in my opinion. If you search for m3 engine on eBay there's a lot out there.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 PM
TWiTCHY has a spectacular aura aboutTWiTCHY has a spectacular aura aboutTWiTCHY has a spectacular aura about
Thanks but $5000 seems a bit high in my opinion. If you search for m3 engine on eBay there's a lot out there.
Was thinking that too, however I don't know the guy myself so I can't say anything

Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 PM
503Alex is a name known to all503Alex is a name known to all503Alex is a name known to all503Alex is a name known to all503Alex is a name known to all503Alex is a name known to all
Check this out, great deal! It is bay area pick-up though...

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ay-Area-pickup

Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
$5k is a bit high for a US S50 when you can get an S54 for $3,600!

Old 04-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Jalpa_Mike is a jewel in the roughJalpa_Mike is a jewel in the roughJalpa_Mike is a jewel in the rough

I know I have some photo's of my old Bavaria around here someplace, I'll find them and scan 'em. It'll be nice to see the old beast again.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by 503Alex
Check this out, great deal! It is bay area pick-up though...

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ay-Area-pickup
Hmm...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Check your PM

Old 04-21-2010, 01:05 AM
jaykalia is infamous around these parts
Congrats

Old 06-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Here's a quick update if you're interested. I have almost all of the exterior painted now with the low budget "looks good from 30 feet" paint job. I've started working on the interior by tearing out carpet and headliner that was ruined by mildew and by cleaning it up too. Have a good one.

(from http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexrally/4698220774/)

Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Wow! Very cool Kristian! Yes, please! Keep us posted with pics on the progress! Any thoughts on what color you may end up with? I LOVE your current BMW blue color. It's stunning!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks, Jody! I'm going to turn it into a rally car. So, it'd be cool if I could use colors from a BMW race car of that era eventually.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Bavarian beast