Can someone school me in the ways of a 2009 911 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
I need someone to tell me how to get a front plate on this thing. I don't want to play that game again. Are there any options that look decent? Should I just swing by Barrier and have them install the factory bracket?
Don't drill holes on your front plate. Leave it be. I've never had issues with not having front plates on mine. But if you absolutely insist then at least go with this option. Front plates mounted on tow hook

Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by atomic80
Don't drill holes on your front plate. Leave it be. I've never had issues with not having front plates on mine. But if you absolutely insist then at least go with this option. Front plates mounted on tow hook
Hmmm... that's really unattractive. Ugh.. I never used to worry about it until the Issaquah police decided that my NSX needed one. I will not drill any holes that's for sure.

Maybe I'll just roll the dice again and see how it goes for awhile. BTW- the next time I run into any of you guys with 997's, look out... I'm probably going to ask you 1000 questions.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
DO NOT DRILL HOLES! The OEM bracket is nasty. We have the toe hook one on the MINI, & it is much nicer then the OEM one.

I have been hit a couple of times in the 911's, I refuse to put plates on them. You need to focus on other things, like new exhaust, intake, & suspension!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:20 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
DO NOT DRILL HOLES! The OEM bracket is nasty. We have the toe hook one on the MINI, & it is much nicer then the OEM one.

I have been hit a couple of times in the 911's, I refuse to put plates on them. You need to focus on other things, like new exhaust, intake, & suspension!
Yeah, I had a tow hook plate on my cooper S as well... it fit that car's overall theme, but this one not so much. I may zip tie something down low like on my NSX. I just don't need to give the police any more reasons to pull me over.

I already started looking at exhausts and stuff... but then I figure I'll do a few cosmetic things first and wait until I get used to the car before I mod too much of it, especially the suspension and engine. So, probably rims and some CF goodies then move onto intercoolers, headers, exhausts, chips, and whatever else they make for this thing!

It's killing me that the weather is all nasty. I really want to take her out!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:49 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
She won't melt if you take her out you know. Plus she's got AWD too. DO IT! I drove mine through miles miles of **** poor weather recently and she never let up!

I did think about using zip ties but the plate won't fit in the front opening. I have the pop up plate holder but there's no way to mount it properly because the bottom lip isn't flat enough.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 PM
She won't melt if you take her out you know. Plus she's got AWD too. DO IT! I drove mine through miles miles of **** poor weather recently and she never let up!

I did think about using zip ties but the plate won't fit in the front opening. I have the pop up plate holder but there's no way to mount it properly because the bottom lip isn't flat enough.
I swear I read somewhere that it'll melt.

No, actually i washed it yesterday in anticipation of cars/coffee tomorrow... so now I'm just hesitant to get it all dirty... I mean, I've had it for 2 days or something? I want to keep it "clean" for just a little bit!

What if I took some "sheers" to the plate... I seen people trim the plates down... just take a bit off here and there until it fits? I mean... is that better than no plate at all? lol

Old 05-28-2010, 04:05 PM
If you can get it to fit....I thnk it's also illegal to cut up those plates too.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:12 PM
If you can get it to fit....I thnk it's also illegal to cut up those plates too.
More or less illegal than not running one at all? Seriously..

Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
A buddy of mine actually photocopied the license plate and made it into a sticker. I should take a picture of it and show you guys. Looks cool...he had it made WIDER than the standard license plates so that it looks almost like an European plate.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:09 PM
A buddy of mine actually photocopied the license plate and made it into a sticker. I should take a picture of it and show you guys. Looks cool...he had it made WIDER than the standard license plates so that it looks almost like an European plate.
Now we're talking!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:47 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations on your new TT! What a beautiful color. I keep my plate in my bonnet in a holder that screws into my tow hole. Knock on wood I have never been stopped. Do not drill holes. I just had new Ventureshield installed yesterday (mind had slightly yellowed) and a detail today, and I don't want to take it out in this weather either! I can totally relate. Hopefully will meet you next weekend at Exotics at Redmond Town Center.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DrVolkl

I already started looking at exhausts and stuff... but then I figure I'll do a few cosmetic things first and wait until I get used to the car before I mod too much of it, especially the suspension and engine. So, probably rims and some CF goodies then move onto intercoolers, headers, exhausts, chips, and whatever else they make for this thing!

It's killing me that the weather is all nasty. I really want to take her out!
Get the toe hook one, keep it in the trunk, when you are worried put it on, but run with it off.

One thing I will warn you, Porsche parts are EXPENSIVE! You might be a little shocked at what things go for. More then Audi, & more then Acura. You can spend $8000 on exhaust alone. Most ECU flashes are $2500+ for a Turbo. The factory CF interior parts are also $$$. Suspension will set you back about $3k for the good stuff. But with just a flash, exhaust & intake you are looking @ over 100 more HP & 150 more torque!

Just wait, Summer is around the corner & you will be able to enjoy it!! Tomorrow is PCA Auto-X, you should bring it out & throw it around some time!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Mike is correct, Porsche parts are $$$. However don't fear, there are alternatives. Two retailers give the best prices on Porsche parts. Sunset Porsche out of Beaverton, OR (ask for Jeff Clark) and Suncoast Porsche out of Florida. I prefer Sunset myself. You save quite a bundle by getting parts from them.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 PM
cozmo is infamous around these parts
Damn, and I thought NSX parts were expensive.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Get the toe hook one, keep it in the trunk, when you are worried put it on, but run with it off.

One thing I will warn you, Porsche parts are EXPENSIVE! You might be a little shocked at what things go for. More then Audi, & more then Acura. You can spend $8000 on exhaust alone. Most ECU flashes are $2500+ for a Turbo. The factory CF interior parts are also $$$. Suspension will set you back about $3k for the good stuff. But with just a flash, exhaust & intake you are looking @ over 100 more HP & 150 more torque!

Just wait, Summer is around the corner & you will be able to enjoy it!! Tomorrow is PCA Auto-X, you should bring it out & throw it around some time!
Thanks... I'm not too scared about the parts cost. I always bought top notch parts for my NSX, so it won't be too much of a jump... I'm still getting over sticker shock of the purchase price, so I'll be chill for a bit anyhow! lol

I need to join PCA.... no doubt about it.

I couldn't resist and drove it around tonight... rain and all. Oh.... and all you P-car guys... I get it now. I never did... I do now.

...and this car is crazy fast. I mean... what? I'm doing 80 in a matter of seconds.. I barely have time to see the damn speed indicator. I can't imagine when I get used to it... but yeah, exhaust, chip, intake... it'll all happen. Already have some CF on order... couldn't resist.

Now... quick question... How do I get those fogs and that little LED light to match the headlights? What's the part #'s, etc etc... I bought Hoen Fogs for my S4 that match the HID better... I need to do the same... or at least get yellow fogs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can someone school me in the ways of a 2009 911 Turbo?