Can someone school me in the ways of a 2009 911 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Can someone school me in the ways of a 2009 911 Turbo?

I'm looking at a cab 2009 turbo... never mind the cab vs hardtop debate, what I need is some info on the car.

I am NOT a Porsche person... my knowledge is next to zero right now with the whole setup... I'm trying to gather information as quickly as possible. I believe this is still the 997 body, correct? Does the 2009 have the 3.6 or 3.8 engine? What are the HP ratings? What am I missing out by NOT getting a 2010???

+/- to either? Is it better to get a 2010 model? Anything to be concerned about purchasing a 2009 model with sub 5k miles? It would be the 6spd manual fyi, not that that really matters...

Any insights/thought/advice would be greatly appreciated. This would not be a daily driver, it would be a weekend fun car.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes it is a 997, anything from 2005 on is a 997.
Specs....
3.6 480hp 0-62 3.8sec, top speed 198 (might be lower for a cab)

Yes, the 2010 is "better" it uses a totally new engine, that is direct injected, 3.8l 500hp, 3.5 0-62. They also changed the suspension, & AWD system, it is suppose to deliver the power to the wheels differently. What I like is you can order center lock wheels!! You can also get a Turbo S for a bit more $$.

Either one will NEED Sport Crono Plus to get full power out of it (overboost). Get PASM suspension, ceramic brakes keep the wheels spotless but track guys don't like the replacement cost. I know both Greta, & Jason, love their cars!

I'd say my choice would come down to price, if you are getting a screaming deal on the "used" one get it, if not, order what you want! You can go a European Pick up!

It will be like NOTHING you have had!!! It will make your NSX feel like a Honda Civic, I don't mean any disrespect, you know I love your NSX, it's just the 997 TT is all that & then some.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:46 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I know both Greta, & Jason, love their cars!
Hey! What about Larry? He's got one too. But seriously, Mike is correct, we do love our Turbos.

The new Turbo also has the PDK transmission (dual clutch) with optional paddles. Center lock wheels, torque vectoring system (directs power to the wheel that needs it), front lift system (for driveways, etc), dynamic headlights (turns lights into the corners), LED taillights, etc. The list goes on and on. So yes, if you can swing it, go with a 2010. Also, the new 3.8 engine yields 500 hp and 516 ft/torque with overboost. They're saying that the new engine is not as easy to extract additional horsepower through aftermarket means as the old GT1 block (pre-2010 Turbos) but if you plan to leave that stock then that won't be a problem for you.

Last edited by atomic80; 05-11-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like 2010 is the better way to go... however I'm really not interested in the PDK (no matter how awesome it is). This is really helpful in my search and also allows me to negotiate better if I do end up with the 2009.

I now need to really take some measurements of those rear seats. Anyone have a cab? Can you get recaro child seats in there? How much larger are the rear seats in the regular 997?

Lastly, when is the "998" (or whatever the next one is going to be called) slated to come out?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Lucas Luhr is infamous around these parts
The rear seats are the same in all 997 coupe cars. Whatever you do, you should get a car with option Sport Chrono Package Turbo. It comes with the dash timer, which many don't care for the look of, but it also comes with OVERBOOST which I think everyone can appreciate!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 PM
mwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the rough
i believe the next gen 911 is called the "991" and from what i googled, its labelled w/ a 2011 model year.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mwy23
i believe the next gen 911 is called the "991" and from what i googled, its labelled w/ a 2011 model year.
Actually Porsche seems to follow model changes on a 7 year cycle with the changeover coming from 996 to 997 happening in 2005 so that would mean the "998" would come out in 2012. I'm not sure why they would call it a "991." That would be more of a "retrograde" than an "upgrade." I think they'd call it a 998 instead.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by atomic80
Actually Porsche seems to follow model changes on a 7 year cycle with the changeover coming from 996 to 997 happening in 2005 so that would mean the "998" would come out in 2012. I'm not sure why they would call it a "991." That would be more of a "retrograde" than an "upgrade." I think they'd call it a 998 instead.
Hmmm... which means there should be some spy shots/info coming out fairly soon. I may have to wait to see what sort of direction they go with this. I would hate to buy a 997 only to have it out dated within a year.... unless of course the 997 is a "better" car.... regardless, the price drop would probably be worth the wait, or at least grabbing a 2010 model.

I think I'm sold on the platform however, I really need those back seats.

I'll see what sort of deal they offer on this 2009 that I'm negotiating right now, but it sounds like I'd be better off waiting regardless. Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 PM
mwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the roughmwy23 is a jewel in the rough
Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by mwy23
Thanks.. doesn't look too drastic, save for the rear appears flattened out. I'm not a big fan of the 996, so as long as they don't go back to that look, I'm fine. (no offense to anyone, just not my style) I'm more interested in the engine at this point. However 480hp or whatever the 2009 has should be plenty, but the bump for 2010 is tempting.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:55 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
My take on this would be, unless you are a dyed in the wool motorhead, there isn't much difference in "new" vs "old". Looks perhaps, that only another fanatic Porsche owner would notice. I'm not sure the new AWD system in the later model would be worth the difference in price. Other features noted such as PDK and paddle shifters are extra cost options, which you said you're not interested in. There is a huge price difference between a new and a used car. Unless you must have the newest car on the block, I don't think it's worth it.

In this PNW climate it might be hard to find a used cab in the color and equipped the way you want it without going out of state. If you end up ordering a new car you'll quickly learn you can price yourself right out of the market by buying all sorts of options you want (must have, but don't need). Understand everything on a Porsche is an optional extra, including the full race ashtray!

If you do order new, see Atomic80. He'll be an expert at spending your money.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
My take on this would be, unless you are a dyed in the wool motorhead, there isn't much difference in "new" vs "old". Looks perhaps, that only another fanatic Porsche owner would notice. I'm not sure the new AWD system in the later model would be worth the difference in price. Other features noted such as PDK and paddle shifters are extra cost options, which you said you're not interested in. There is a huge price difference between a new and a used car. Unless you must have the newest car on the block, I don't think it's worth it.

In this PNW climate it might be hard to find a used cab in the color and equipped the way you want it without going out of state. If you end up ordering a new car you'll quickly learn you can price yourself right out of the market by buying all sorts of options you want (must have, but don't need). Understand everything on a Porsche is an optional extra, including the full race ashtray!

If you do order new, see Atomic80. He'll be an expert at spending your money.
There's a car fairly local (within 500 miles) that I'm looking at. I just didn't want to buy a 2009 and find out within a year that I should have gotten a 2010 or a 2011. I think it's pretty safe to say the 2009 model is going to fit my needs just fine, and like you said, there's a huge price difference between new and used. I have a new Audi and I really don't need another brand new car... especially one that would see such limited usage. (4k miles a year?)

I tried to build one the other day and gave up. Talk about a headache! You weren't kidding about EVERYTHING being extra/optional. I couldn't get through the list, it was making my head spin. Better to let someone else spec the damn car out!

I'm still fairly positive that I want a cab, 6spd, 997. Beyond that, color, options, price, year fall into second place. I really wish they made a Targa Turbo, but oh well! I really want that open air feeling...

Anyone look at that malachite green one they have at Barrier? Pretty cool looking. I swear I saw it driving down the road the other day in downtown Seattle.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
I would say the 2010/2011 is the way to go

Check out this link
They do a pretty good road test between the GT-R, ZR1, and Turbo (6-speed)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co.../culture-clash

Old 05-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Mini George
I would say the 2010/2011 is the way to go

Check out this link
They do a pretty good road test between the GT-R, ZR1, and Turbo (6-speed)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co.../culture-clash
Huh... great... now I'm confused again. So much for 2009.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Personally, I'd rather go with an earlier year and save the money for mods. A few bolts on will get you well over the power of a new 2010 model. Some simple suspension work will get you better handling as well....

Judging by your NSX, I'd say your open to mods too?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can someone school me in the ways of a 2009 911 Turbo?