front upper sway bar advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:43 PM
BiggerApe is infamous around these parts
front upper sway bar advice

hey guys-

looking to give my suspension a little more oomph. I've got PSS9s on it already and thinking about adding an upper front sway bar to crispen the handling eliminate body roll.

2 questions:

1. Will an upper sway bar accomplish what I'm after?
2. What brand / size etc do you like and why?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Old 06-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BiggerApe
hey guys-

looking to give my suspension a little more oomph. I've got PSS9s on it already and thinking about adding an upper front sway bar to crispen the handling eliminate body roll.

2 questions:

1. Will an upper sway bar accomplish what I'm after?
2. What brand / size etc do you like and why?

Thanks in advance for the advice
What's an upper sway bar? Do you mean a strut tower bar for the front? I don't really know how the P cars are set up unfortunately, just looking for clarification.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:02 PM
sure- strut tower bar will work too...

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/porsche_arb.html

Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM
grambo is infamous around these partsgrambo is infamous around these parts
Sway bars and strut bars are two very different parts.
If you still have your original sway bars from before the PSS9s, replacing them will help. You will probably be most satisfied if you can find a KNOWLEDGEABLE shop that does a lot of 996 suspension work (bonus points for race cars) and discuss what you want to get out of the upgrade. They should be able to choose a set of sway bars based on your desired feel as well as the car's specs, namely curb weight, spring stiffness, and shock valving.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
I have been told that strut tower bars on anything 996 or newer are a waste of money...

I did upgrade my front and rear sway bars though...

Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Since you live on the eastside, I would recommend Cantrell Motorsports in the Totem Lake area. Colin can pretty much sort your suspension out for you. Based on the type of driving you plan on doing he can optimize your alignment, corner balance, etc.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:52 AM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Like pj said it is a waste of money. Have you ever tried jacking up your car before? Porsche makes such a ridged chassis you jack up the car from one of the front corners intending to jack up just that corner and you will actually lift up that entire side of the car. Getting an adjustable sway bar would be your best bet. They will be thicker metal, and allow you to adjust the amount of preload going across the bar so you can dial in the amount of body roll you find comfortable.

The one thing I will say about sway bars is don’t get one, and put in on it strongest adjustment thinking more is better. If you get rid of all the body roll in your car along with turning up the dampening on the suspension, that may make the car feel really sporty but when you go through a corner really fast there won't be enough weight transfer. Meaning you will have no feel or warning of when you go to fast, the car will weight transfer from one side to another but instead of letting the suspension and tires work as they should or at their optimum it will just make the car snowplow through the corner. Places like LAdismanterlers are in business for a reason.

I don’t know who did your pss9 install, but the install is just 90% of the installation. A good alignment and corner balance is the other and really most critical 10% if you want to get the full potential out of your car and its mods. If you haven’t done that already do it while getting your sway bar installed.

There are quite a few different ones out there, just do a search in the 996tt forum and I’m sure you will find some good reviews too.

FVD makes one
H&R makes one
Porsche makes one
GMG makes one

Old 06-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the advice guys and the detailed feedback from 19kRPM.
I've got a call to Colin and I think I will start by getting it corner balanced etc first and see what he's gotta say. thanks guys