Need advice! Bought a car with a false car fax.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2010 | 01:46 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
First I would call Carfax. If the Carfax report was wrong, they do have a buy back guarantee if you register the car (see their website). If the dealer is a subscriber to Carfax, they may have a guarantee from them for the car. I'd start with Carfax. I'd also see if a current Carfax matches the one you were given. if the dealer gave you an old one, or modified one, then you have a lot to work with. If the Carfax is clean now, and Carfax will not help you, I'd contact an attorney and see what it would cost to go after the dealer anyway. They are the professionals and did know, or should have known, that the car was damaged. In this day and age it's just to easy to tell when a car has had work done. A dealer the size of Acura of Seattle must have a paint check device that can tell someone in 2 mins if the car has had paintwork. I cannot image a large dealer like that not having that simple tool to make sure THEY don't get screwed. I suspect they knew and saw this as an opportunity to buy a wrecked car cheap and sell it at a premium.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2010 | 03:24 PM
speedneed is a jewel in the roughspeedneed is a jewel in the roughspeedneed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Correct, but they do apply to cars up to two years old even if you're not the original owner. I don't think accidents fall under the "lemon law" but again, I'm not too familiar with it. Perhaps the dealership can somehow be held accountable for a potentially "un safe car".

Just throwing out ideas.
I hate to say -this is no dream world. It's used car, with cosmetic damage, not structural, not unsafe to drive, with clear title and carfax. She bought it 'as is'.....really chances are slim that they will do anything for the buyer...they knew exactly what they were selling...
I was wholesaling a car to them once....they've checked everything(literally)...then after the used car manager (middle eastern gentelman) try to lowball me i've sold my car to Acura of Five for $1200 more.

Old 08-03-2010 | 04:03 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by speedneed
I hate to say -this is no dream world. It's used car, with cosmetic damage, not structural, not unsafe to drive, with clear title and carfax. She bought it 'as is'.....really chances are slim that they will do anything for the buyer...they knew exactly what they were selling...
I was wholesaling a car to them once....they've checked everything(literally)...then after the used car manager (middle eastern gentelman) try to lowball me i've sold my car to Acura of Five for $1200 more.
Yeah, more than likely it's not a good outcome. Again, go to the dealership first and talk to the sales manager, then try the owner. They may be more helpful than you think.

Sounds like the carfax buy back thing is the next best route.

Car dealerships can be a real pain... when they're selling you a damaged car, they'll tell you its no big deal (if they even tell you)... when you try and trade your car in they'll tell you all the reasons why no one will buy it and how it's worth nothing. lol

Old 08-12-2010 | 02:04 AM
|
xpikenz is infamous around these parts
good news! acura of seattle lived up to there name and agree'd to take the car back and give her another car as long as its from there dealership... thank you everyone for the input/thoughts/advice!

-kenny

Old 08-12-2010 | 09:35 PM
ed03feng is infamous around these parts
Great! Good to hear that the issue is resolved with the dealership.

Old 08-13-2010 | 09:50 AM
speedneed is a jewel in the roughspeedneed is a jewel in the roughspeedneed is a jewel in the rough
congratulations

Old 08-13-2010 | 12:22 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by xpikenz
good news! acura of seattle lived up to there name and agree'd to take the car back and give her another car as long as its from there dealership... thank you everyone for the input/thoughts/advice!

-kenny
I hope she doesnt get a new Acura, those things are ugly!

Hopefully she finds a car that she likes, Acura of Seattle always has nice selection of used cars on their lot.

Old 08-22-2010 | 09:30 AM
Roberga is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by xpikenz
So my cousin went out and bought a 08 gs300 from Acura of Seattle and they had to order the car from another dealership. They gave her a carfax on the car and it was clear and clean.. They were detailing the car when we did all the paper work so the car looked new and wet with a fresh layer of wax. She washed the car today and she noticed the whole passenger door and fender was bondo'd up and repaired.. It's been about 2 weeks now and they're refusing to help or do anything about it. Is there a way I can return the car? Have then pay for the repair and fix it or take the damage amount off the loan? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciate it.. Thanks in advance 6speeders!

-Kenny
This is why CarFax is not to be trusted. It only can tell you that no damage has been reported. If the damage was not reported to police or insurance you will get a false clear report. I ran into this with a GT3 that was carfax cleared but did not pass a PPI from Queen City.. Best to go to the dealer and see what they are willing to do. NEVER buy a car without an independent PPI.