Driving the Giro and Going to Monterey

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 AM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
A short video of us detailing the SV at the Concorso Italiano after a rainstorm the night before (and getting the last of the track day grime off).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_V4p0lAyY

Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 AM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
A little teaser from the Lamborghini Giro track day event at Infineon Raceway. On-board and in-car camera footage coming soon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdh0BGk5okY

Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 AM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TommyJames
My car won 3rd Place in Best Lamborghini at Concorso and at the club dinner, First Place in Best Murcielago. Hey Mark, here is a bit of trivia, I found out this evening that Lamborghini tractors used Porsche parts.
Awesome job at the Concorso Tom. Your car color should win all it's in. I just get nervous in colored cars.

I saw a pic the other day of a bunch of Ferrari tractors myself so I guess all great cars end up coming from the Field. Porsche had to make money somehow. Selling parts to Rich Italians back in the day sure seems to be a good start!

Old 08-15-2010, 04:53 PM
FerRrari is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TommyJames
My car won 3rd Place in Best Lamborghini at Concorso and at the club dinner, First Place in Best Murcielago. Hey Mark, here is a bit of trivia, I found out this evening that Lamborghini tractors used Porsche parts.
Nicely done Tommy! Congrats!

OT: Did you guys grab pics of the Ferrari SP1?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Busta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud of
Great thread and story, Tommy. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Day 5 Part Two

Sorry I couldn’t write more to finish off the events of day 5 but it was a very long day.

I was thinking about ways to describe the people who attended the Giro. First a little context, this is a very expensive event; It’s $5,700 plus the cost of transporting your car to and from the event, the cost of hotels once you’re in Monterey, food and event tickets outside of the event. Some spent more than $3,000 to transport their cars each way so it’s easily a $17,000+ event or more for many of the attendees. By the time you add airfare, etc, it’s just not cheap. I tried to look for some generalizations within the group and couldn’t find any stereotype that fit. There were very few. The group spanned a wide spectrum of ages, backgrounds,\ interests, style of dress, and habits, etc. They all love the Lamborghini brand and love their cars. If you saw this group away from their cars, you’d have a hard time knowing how they were all connected. You’d all pick the oldest guy and guess it was their retirement party from some small company. It’s that diverse. What they almost all have in common is that they are self-reliant, typically business owners and all see to do something really, really well. Some within the group are staggeringly wealthy and others are comfortable enough to own a Lamborghini and spend what it takes to attend. The one thing most have in common is self-reliance and an ability to get out of their own way. You didn’t hear anyone fuss about anything and instead, this same group is most likely to see the positive in just about everything.

On the afternoon of Day 5 people had two choices, one was to go on another drive and others had time to relax at the resort. I needed the time to sit and write and upload pictures and video. Vic who came with me took the time to go drive the new Superleggera and do half the ride as passenger with Balboni. He came back with the biggest possible grin on his face. He kept saying Balboni knows how to drive. That’s like saying Julia Child knows how to cook. While Vic loves his Scuderia, he still very much liked the new Superleggera. I’ll have Vic post something about his drive and ride with Valentino.

That evening was a bus ride to cask room of the Merryvale Vineyards winery. It began with a 30 minute wine tasting followed by dinner in what reminded me of Harry Potter’s dining room. We sat along one very long candle lit table with management standing up to do a little talk about the company. Again the they remained at tight-lipped as ever about what’s next and it’s the one area where you feel the divide between customers and the factory. The dinner conversation was a lot of fun. I was sitting next to someone who frequently rides to various destinations by private rail car. He’s a train fanatic and loves model trains. There were others with large car collections, some were working on interesting business projects, and others were retired, just having fun.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Day 6

The day began with a morning breakfast buffet followed by packing for Monterey. The attention to detail by Lamborghini at every step was very impressive. Lamborghini luggage tags were nicely laid out for our bags so they could be dropped off at our hotel. No need to try and stuff everything into the front of the car. Now there was room for the antlers you bought at the corner market.

We left for a drive from Calistoga directly to the coast. The drive started out normal enough, however some made the mistake of setting their GPS rather than follow the map which caused some drivers to jump on 101 rather than continue over the freeway to make our way towards Highway 116 and on to Highway 1, spreading us all out. It looked like someone just dumped a bag of skittles, cars went everywhere. I tried to chase Balboni and catch up to him in order to get him turned around, but he was gone. What was I thinking? It’s Balboni driving! I’d be lucky if I could just catch up and that’s only if he had a flat. After some hand waving, we got a big chunk of the group turned around and headed in the right direction, but after a while, many of those in front made one or more wrong turns and we were suddenly by ourselves until we hit the coast and all managed to find the scenic stop for some group photos; and everyone managed to arrive within a few minutes of each other.

The drive in route was spectacular and remains some of the best roads in the world to drive, unless you're in fog... Then you’re looking for a leak proof yet disposable puke receptacle. I had one close call when a large flatbed semi in an oncoming lane cut well into my lane on a hairpin curve. I was waiting for the sound of crunching carbon fiber as he just missed the rear left corner of my car. We left the scenic lookout with all 21 cars and we remained the last car so we could shoot some video with the GoPro. All of that should be uploaded sometime soon, it’s a lot of video!

The procession of 21 cars looked impressive as it headed down Highway 1. As we approached a small town, a Prius jumped in and woven in at the end of the long procession of cars... A PRIUS! Ugh! Once again we reached another main intersection and the group focused on their GPS rather than the map and we were divided up one more time, I was in a group of about ten cars. It all worked out because many were ready to get to our destination and relax rather than take on more curvy roads. The difference in arrival times was very short so which ever route someone took worked out to be about the same.

For those of you doing organized drives, I highly recommend radios. In Seattle, we follow a few simple rules. You have one leader; you never pass the leader, and you always follow their direction. We also pre assign regrouping locations along the way and we make sure the last car knows the route and that everyone has a radio. You can’t believe how much more fun they are because you end up in the group conversation and you actually see more. Your vision actually widens because someone is pointing out all the weird little side shows along the way. If there is a guy running around naked on the freeway, everyone has a chance to see it rather than hear the story when you arrive. It’s not just about keeping a group together, you discover more of everything in route. It also helps to use the handsets with the headsets. They also help keep everyone safe as you don’t have to pull over to discuss anything.

Here is what we use:

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT100...1880448&sr=8-1

These are the headsets we use:

www.amazon.com/Midland-AVPH3-Transparent-Security-Headsets/dp/B000CNAEEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281880562&sr =8-2

They are cheap, they work, and they pay for themselves in saved fuel, time, tickets, handcuffs and complicated bail arrangements. As for radar detectors, the majority of us use Valentine One. There are expensive jammer installations, etc., but when using radios, the guys with the Valentine Ones always seem to know what’s going on first. Some have both. The only time I ever got a speeding ticket was the one time I didn’t turn on my radar detector while I was in the middle of traffic surrounded by other cars. Don’t think of radar detectors as a method of breaking the law, think of them as a reminder to keep your speed in check or a convenient potential handcuff alarm. Far less painful than a Tazer for “resisting” arrest. Resisting arrest in some small towns requires nothing more than a simple hello.

We were able to get a beautiful line of Lamborghinis when we arrived at Cavallo Point for lunch so those shots will look terrific. What a great location for a car event! It’s the old military base converted into a resort. It’s funny how if you call it a resort, you can actually charge people to do pushups. The US military needs to simply rebrand themselves as a fitness camp. Just think of the colorful enticing brochure.

After lunch it was off for our last drive. Once again it began with complete and total chaos without anyone actually leading the group. Someone in the group finally took charge and got the entire group onto the Golden Gate Bridge for a nice long line of cars into San Francisco. I want to see those shots. Once we got through the toll booth, that was the last time the group was ever seen again. We all stuck with Highway 1, but we were all very scattered by the time we got through San Francisco. Cars had to make fuel stops along the way and we didn’t return as a group until the farewell dinner at the Aquarium. A few of us arrived early and one of the Aquarium tour guides explained that they were about to shut down one of the large tanks and were looking for homes for the remaining fish... I suddenly understood tonight’s menu.

The valets at the Aquarium failed my quiz so I went to dinner a little nervous about my car. I always ask the valets if they know how to put a Lamborghini with E-gear in reverse. Everyone said yes, and as I went down the line, every one gave me the wrong answer and finally one said the right answer (I’m not posting the right answer here in case a valet is reading). When they don’t know the correct answer, I bust them for not truly being familiar with the car. The only valet I’d let drive the car was the one who could also accurately describe how to mange the car when stationary.

The final dinner was very fun. It included a slide show of the event and that was a lot of fun because by now we had actually made friends with many of the Giro participants. By the time we got to our room at the Hilton we were all exhausted and had to start thinking about Concorso Italiano in the morning.

Last edited by TommyJames; 08-16-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Day 7

It’s now Concorso Italiano Day at Laguna Seca Golf Ranch just a few miles from our hotel. The name sounds like a place where they raise golf *****. We got up extremely early to try and clean up the car but it was still misting so badly that it was difficult to keep the car dry. I wanted to get an early start to get a better parking spot and to get situated for the day. We immediately began cleaning up the car and it was a real mess from the drive. Vic, Hope and I got to work cleaning up my car and finished the job just as the doors opened.

I was immediately told that I won something and that I should drive my car to the podium. I’ve not been to this show before so I had no idea what to expect. I ran into a lot of forum members who’ve been following this from the day I began. I ran into so many people I know from both Orange County and the Seattle area and it was a lot of fun to catch up. I drove up on stage and was surprised to hear that I won anything. I just assumed they wanted to see the car. I won third in the Lamborghini category. The two more deserving cars were a white Countache and beautiful red Miura. We represented the three Italian flag colors very well. People kept asking me what I won and I kept telling them I won best green SV in the show. Some assumed I was serious and acted all happy and stuff.

It was a very nice show, with cars packed very tightly together, actually too tight in places. I know I’ve heard over and over that there are different owner cultures between Italian exotics but when you go to a show like this, it’s really difficult to see any differences between attendees. Most of the attendees are extremely car knowledgeable and so you don’t get the same questions over and over again. It’s not when the same question is asked ten times, it’s when it’s asked 1,000 times that it gets difficult.

The day flew by and I found a clear shot to leave right at 4:00 PM without too much traffic. Departure traffic wasn’t bad until we hit the down slope towards town. We just sat without moving more than 100 feet for almost an hour, but we were so tired that we didn’t really care. It was nice just to be sitting down.

Later that same night I got my first look at the new Ultimate Aero full size model at a private viewing in a large tent outside of a house. After seeing the shape and design of the car, I believe it hits some important points given the car’s mission. I don’t want to say more than that. I was also so tired from the day’s show and a lack of sleep that it was difficult to fully comprehend the model. It made for a strange Friday evening.
I will say this about SSC, they are serious about taking their cars far beyond expectation. As car design moves closer and closer to the 300 MPH mark, different design rules apply. For that reason, one has to reset the expectations they have in automotive design.

By the time we got back to the hotel, I was so tired my eyes were practically touching. I am looking forward to Carmel By the Sea on Day 8.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Some shots of the Lexus LFA from Monterey:

Old 08-16-2010, 02:03 PM
A few shots of the new McLaren MP4-12C:

Old 08-16-2010, 02:25 PM
FerRrari is infamous around these parts
No pics of the Miura?

What's with the red carpet under your car? It's a great pic!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Apple Sauce is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FerRrari
Nicely done Tommy! Congrats!

OT: Did you guys grab pics of the Ferrari SP1?
Yes, I did. I'll post them later.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:33 PM
rutiger is infamous around these parts
great shots tommy.

is that a traditional key ignition in the lfa?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Awesome, thank you very much for taking the time to share all this.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Island Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of lightIsland Maser is a glorious beacon of light
Great to follow along. The wife enjoyed it also and wants to go next year as it always falls on here birthday. Spent a day a few years ago and saw you need the full week. Can't wait to talk to Vic about his day with Balboni. Roy- Talk about turning him to the dark side. It is like sending young Luke Skywalker to father/son day with Darth Vader! Great job writing and putting it all together with pics Tommy. I see a calling on the Lambo Press Team for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Driving the Giro and Going to Monterey