Need some input about a couple of Bellevue High schools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Need some input about a couple of Bellevue High schools

Hi fellow NW 6speeders. I am seriously contemplating a move to the Bellevue area strictly for the purpose of my kids education. (Hidden agenda: Can come for the NW 6speed meets and get closer to Metropolitan detail). Jokes apart, my two daughters are in middle school and are hardly being challenged academically in my neck of the woods (Eastern Wa). I have heard some great things about Bellevue school district and FWIW their rankings in nationwide comparisons speak for themselves.

My goal is to make the move for next academic year. I just started looking for the past month or so (search criteria being townhome/condo < 400K) . I know that most schools in Bellevue School district are good and one of them needs a lottery for admission. I would appreciate any input on specifically two schools: Newport Senior High School and Bellevue High school. Any positive or negative experiences in your family/children ? Thank you in advance.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the plug Amar. Speaking from my personal experience, I graduated from Newport High School. Both schools are great, but I prefer the SE corridor of Newport High School compared to the hustle and bustle of the downtown located Bellevue High School. A lot has changed since the years I was going to school there, as Newport was built in the 1960's and had not had a remodel yet when I was going there. Today, Newport High School looks similar to the home of a major corporation that is traded on the Dow. We are eagerly looking forward to your arrival, and hope to see you soon.

Best Regards,

John

Old 12-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
There is also the Northshore School District.

Check this site out for more information on King County school districts. I graduated from Woodinville HS a number of years ago. Northshore consistently ranks pretty high. If I'm reading it right, Ranked #7 out of 216 (I'm assuming in the state).

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/WA/districtrank.aspx

Old 12-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Christiancoach has a spectacular aura aboutChristiancoach has a spectacular aura aboutChristiancoach has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Hot Shot

Check this site out for more information on King County school districts. I graduated from Woodinville HS a number of years ago. Northshore consistently ranks pretty high. If I'm reading it right, Ranked #7 out of 216 (I'm assuming in the state).

My wife and I have a 3 year old, and my wife has a little obsession about schools, and making sure our daughter gets into a good one. In her research, online and speaking with a lot of people, Northshore has come up several times all with high praises.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Issaquah and Tahoma School districts are ranked high, and both places (Maple Valley and Issaquah) tend to have lower real estate prices. I would look into both of those as they are close to bellevue/seattle area.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CrazyRuskie
Issaquah and Tahoma School districts are ranked high, and both places (Maple Valley and Issaquah) tend to have lower real estate prices. I would look into both of those as they are close to bellevue/seattle area.
Issy has lower home prices I thought that was one of the higher end places to live? Probably cheaper than bellevue at least. Maple Valley is definitely less expensive.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
Issaquah is higher end when compared to Kent or Auburn and Renton sure, but not compared to Bellevue and Mercer Island...

Old 12-06-2010, 02:44 PM
RPGilberts87 is infamous around these parts
I grew up and went to the Tahoma School District. It was definitely a challenging school "academically' also think of your daughters social lives. Tahoma has had some drug issues and other partying issues. I would look into Issaquah or Mercer Island Schools or maybe even a private school

Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
I went to Monroe High.. wonderful school with a State Penitentiary in a picturesque view right behind the high school and middle school. Makes you want to study hard..

Great prices out in Monroe/Gold Bar/Sultan area..

hehe..
Bojan

Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
The only two Bellevue schools I would go to is Bellevue High or Newport high.

I live in Bellevue, but went to Issaquah High. I liked Issaquah High a lot because of the smaller campus and everyone knew each other, and they welcomed new students like they've known them for a while.

For homes I would look at moving to Carnation, Preston or even Fall City. Those places are not as expensive as Issaquah, but you could find something there for <400K if you're looking for something bigger.
Skyline high (in Issaquah dist.) is the newer school with a lot more rich people (like Bellevue high), but that school is crazy about sports/education. Issaquah high is mostly about education IMO. They have a lot of advance classes that are normally college classes.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RPGilberts87
I grew up and went to the Tahoma School District. It was definitely a challenging school "academically' also think of your daughters social lives. Tahoma has had some drug issues and other partying issues. I would look into Issaquah or Mercer Island Schools or maybe even a private school
LOL..Just a higher class of drugs at Bellevue and Mercer Island.

Issaquah would be my choice first. I believe it represents families a little more than Bellevue Schools. Well at least my type of family.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:59 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by detailjohn
I graduated from Newport High School. Both schools are great, but I prefer the SE corridor of Newport High School compared to the hustle and bustle of the downtown located Bellevue High School. We are eagerly looking forward to your arrival, and hope to see you soon.

John
Thank you John. I too am looking at that SE corridor but as you know the townhomes/condos are much older...not that there is anything wrong with that. I have more respect for "older things" ever since I got my 3.2. Will keep you posted. I do really like the academic focus of Newport Senior. IMO, kids are hardly being challenged in high school these days in many public schools.

Jim, I still would be commuting once a week to Eastern WA and would like to keep the commute for me closer to two hours. Although I have heard great things about Woodinville HS, that will add a 30 minute commute each way. Hence a no-go for me.

Originally Posted by Christiancoach
My wife and I have a 3 year old, and my wife has a little obsession about schools, and making sure our daughter gets into a good one. In her research, online and speaking with a lot of people, Northshore has come up several times all with high praises.
Thank you for your input CC. Again due to the above reason Issaq/Bellev makes more sense for me/my family.

Originally Posted by CrazyRuskie

Issy has lower home prices I thought that was one of the higher end places to live? Probably cheaper than bellevue at least. Maple Valley is definitely less expensive.
Guys, Issy is a big draw for me as home prices are cheaper and commute about 15 minutes shorter compared to Bellevue. I do know that some of the schools there are very good but all rankings rate Bellevue high schools higher. I do know that one should not focus just on rankings as several factors go into play on these rankings. Ultimately it is the students not the school or as they say it's the driver not the car ;-)

At this point I am focusing on Newport and Bellevue High ... why ?? No real reason...purely based on the fact that they consistently make the top 100 high schools list in the Newsweek and US news rankings.

Originally Posted by RPGilberts87
Private school is not an option for a dad who is affected by Porsche-itis.
Thank you for the input, I will take a deeper look at Issy schools.

Originally Posted by Seattle996
I went to Monroe High.. wonderful school with a State Penitentiary in a picturesque view right behind the high school and middle school. Makes you want to study hard..

Great prices out in Monroe/Gold Bar/Sultan area..

hehe..
Bojan
Again the commute. I too am looking for a school that will provide my daughters a nurturing environment to work/study hard.

Originally Posted by mr2guysingh
The only two Bellevue schools I would go to is Bellevue High or Newport high.

I live in Bellevue, but went to Issaquah High. I liked Issaquah High a lot because of the smaller campus and everyone knew each other, and they welcomed new students like they've known them for a while.

For homes I would look at moving to Carnation, Preston or even Fall City. Those places are not as expensive as Issaquah, but you could find something there for <400K if you're looking for something bigger.
Skyline high (in Issaquah dist.) is the newer school with a lot more rich people (like Bellevue high), but that school is crazy about sports/education. Issaquah high is mostly about education IMO. They have a lot of advance classes that are normally college classes.
Thank you for the input. I don't know that this is a plus or minus but Newport has a high oriental mix in the student population. They are soooo hard working and intense and not sure my kids will thrive or succumb in that sort of a setting. Bellevue High although academically is very good, seems to be more sports oriented. WHen it comes to homes I will tell you this. I have ordered a 2011 Cayenne S for my wife, hence would atleast need a one car garage, which means a townhome or a shared garage condo. Definitely not a car-port as my 911s will be there along with her Cayenne 4 out of 7 days. Hard to find any sub-400K homes with a good garage. Hoping come spring, the inventory improves. Oh well !! Let me take another look at skyline and Issaq high.

Originally Posted by H20SKIER
LOL..Just a higher class of drugs at Bellevue and Mercer Island.

Issaquah would be my choice first. I believe it represents families a little more than Bellevue Schools. Well at least my type of family.
Boy you are really making my decision harder between Bellevue and Issy. I am back to square one as when I first started three months ago I was undecided between Bellevue and Issy and then went to Bellevue and now you all make a good case for Issy too.

Again some great responses thank you PNW members.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-06-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
Yes Newport has more diversity. Sammamish High school is much more diverse, but I wouldn't recommend that school. Issaquah/Skyline is usually Asian and white students, but that didn't take away from the learning.

I would just consider Issaquah schools. They love sports, but its always education before sports. If your daughters are social and outgoing, they'll enjoy Issaquah High.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Also if you want a house than Preston/Carnation/Fall City all fall in your price range.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/preston,..._zm/1_rs/1_fr/

If you want to stay in Issaquah, then look at homes in the Highlands and Klahanie

Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Mr2guy, if you can spare some time over the phone I would love to talk to you on this matter at your convenience anytime in the future. If okay with you. I can PM you my contact info. If not no sweat I can certainly understand. The little research I've done on Skyline after your post is very promising and wow the homes are a lot newer nicer and cheaper compared to Bellevue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some input about a couple of Bellevue High schools