Car Themed Restaurant?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Peter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud of
I like Tommy's idea's. Wider stalls are definitely a must if you trying to have car meets. And cool cars do attract a crowd.

I think that there is potential for a restaurant like this, the XXX in Issy doesn't really cut it. Its old and feels cheap, the food is blah as well. I'd skip the arcades. In all the restaurants that I've been to that have them, they are NEVER in use. The driving simulator is a good idea, but thats one expensive toy if someone breaks it.

An idea that I thought of is placing some flat screen TV's up high at various points around the building showcasing different racing events. You could probably even set them up to run slide shows that have photos of cars playing. Just please no NASCAR, I'm so sick of seeing 20 different shows related to that on TV.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:09 PM
xk1
xk1 is infamous around these parts
I don't like NASCAR so it's no problem. The target audiance will more then likely not like it either so that's not a problem. TV's will be plentiful with always something amusing on them. The world of racing is very big and thankfully NASCAR is only alive and well in America. I will say behold the power of the internet and TIVO in regards to media content.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:43 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
make it so customers can upload video's of them tracking their cars.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 AM
xeattle is infamous around these parts
Exclamation

I've been to the Hot Rod Cafe over by Spokane and it still seems to be doing well...I always thought it would do well over in Seattle. Definitely worth a recon visit!

http://www.hotrodcafe.com/

Old 03-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Jalpa_Mike is a jewel in the roughJalpa_Mike is a jewel in the roughJalpa_Mike is a jewel in the rough
Closest thing I've seen to a "car" themed restaurant in the area, is down here in Auburn. It's called "The Performance Grill" and is themed around drag racing and NASCAR. In fact, one of their burgers is called "The Kasey Kahne Burger"

http://www.performancegrill.com/index.htm

Mike

Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
SeattleBoxers is a jewel in the roughSeattleBoxers is a jewel in the roughSeattleBoxers is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by xeattle
I've been to the Hot Rod Cafe over by Spokane and it still seems to be doing well...I always thought it would do well over in Seattle. Definitely worth a recon visit!

http://www.hotrodcafe.com/
I've been there a couple of times. Very cool place!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:59 PM
xk1
To let the cat out of the bag since everyone thinks it's going to be your typical car themed resteraunt, this is my inspiration http://www.facebook.com/pages/V1-Con...30720470304744

Like I said I'm overseas and this was the spark for the idea. Personally, I like how they took the entire theme of cars and moved it upmarket as well as targeting a younger market. Lets be realistic the younger demo with disposable income is not very enthusiastic in NHRA or the evil known as NASCAR.

Right now I'm working on the cost to make such a place possible stateside. To say it's a cost overrun nightmare is an understatement. Will be back soon to hit the ground and assemble the core group of people to make it possible if it even comes to light.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
You get the info on how they made the shell of the cars?

one thing to keep a eye on..is search your area for auctions..alot of restaurants go under..You can pick up the kitchen equipment at a major discount over new.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:55 AM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
I know a fair amount about the food business having been in it years ago. First, I don't think an inside car theme alone does anything to draw patrons unless it has a terrific overall experience, and even then, building the necessary top-of-the-mind awareness is very tricky.

See if you can name your top ten restaurants. I'll bet you can't. See if you can name your top ten driving destinations. Equally difficult. This is because it takes multiple reminders to remain a top-of-the-mind choice. Great food isn't enough. Nice decor isn't enough and too many people get hung up on decor and offer crappy food and don't realize that AVERAGE experience isn't enough. It's all about MEMORABLE experience. (Bet you can remember your horrible restaurant experiences because they were MEMORABLE.) Location isn't enough either. Look at Carillon Point as one example of a parade of flops and it should be a successful location. The Woodmark has terrific valets, but the ones who work the marina shops and restaurants suck and don't park exotics and because they won't leave them in the circle, cool cars won't go there. Consequently it's not a memorable experience for the average patron.

A lot of us go to Pogacha because the food is terrific and we can usually park right in front of the place where our cars are safe. El Gaucho also keeps exotics up front so it too has become popular. That's where you see all the Bentleys.

This brings up the point, who do you want to draw and what reason are they coming to your place? What's the point in a restaurant theme? What are you trying to draw?

If you want the cars you have to think about their considerations. This is different from decor.

How often do you stand around trying to think of a place to go with your car? For exotic owners the number one consideration is car safety. This is where either neighborhood or terrific valets matter. We don't want to pay a valet just to have breakfast or lunch either, but in the right memorable location, it's not a big deal.

It often takes multiple reasons to draw patrons and build top-of-the-mind awareness and only one of them is good food. The experience has to be MEMORABLE and everyone has a different idea of what "memorable experience" should be. This is also why you have to know your targeted customer well before you decide what you're doing.

Smart restaurant operators try and get exotics to park near the door because it increases that top of the mind memory for patrons, adding something to experience. It helps make it MEMORABLE. Exotic owners will do that if they feel safe.

You have to decide if your location alone is going to be a draw. XXX is bit of a drive out of Seattle and that's in part its draw- the adventure of driving there, knowing it's a spot for enthusiasts where all interesting cars are welcome. It's MEMORABLE.

Tonino Lamborghini has licensed his name many times to theme restaurants and all have failed. You'd think someone would get it by now and stop the nonsense, but they don't. Even a Lamborghini dealer tried something next to a dealership in Las Vegas and it too failed. I'd not care about going to an exotic theme restaurant. I would prefer going to a place that is simply set up for cars. Car brands and food don't mix, EVER!

If your goal is to bring the cars, then you have to create the setting and have the display lot visible from inside the restaurant so exotics, antiques, and classics feel safe. Then there is the issue of culture and each car culture is different so mixing them is important. This again is where XXX has done a decent job. The classic guys don't eat and the same places exotic guys visit unless there is a core theme that both can relate to and the food is good. Again, this is why XXX can work and both can be in the same location at the same time. This is also why a Starbucks can draw both in the right setting. XXX is a perfect example of a memorable location even if the food isn't all that great.

Doing something like the link in the post above wouldn't be enough of a draw for me and would have almost zero appeal because it would come off as a poser palace. In fact, I probably wouldn't go there- ever. However, take the XXX theme, with indoor and outdoor seating, tables that can be pulled together for groups, and I'd go. Again, if parking is safe.

You also have to decide who you want as a customer. Is it specialty car owners or fans? They are two different things. Both come to XXX but there are places where exotic owners go to be left alone which is the opposite end of the spectrum but still works. One that is known is Snoqualmie Falls.

We have a second, which is generally a secret destination and we go there because of three reasons. One; they take great care of us. Two; the food is excellent and not off the Sysco/FSA frozen food menu, and three, the parking lot is both hidden and safe and monitored. We never have to worry about our cars, ever. We keep it secret so people leave us alone when we go there. It's one of the few places I can drive my cars, have a great experience and not worry about getting to and from my car in peace or drawing the least bit of attention. I once made the bad mistake of driving the Phantom to Dick's on Queen Anne. Anthony laughed at me for weeks.

The secret destination is not at all a theme location so it's not the place to see cars, but it has become a destination for exotic owners who want to get out, have a great experience and generally go unnoticed. The decor is also not at all a car theme, but the location works because of the setting, the safe parking and a REAL chef.

The reason the XXX works, even though they have large portions, (but very marginal quality), is because of what shows up and it's ability to draw the outside in. And owners generally feel their cars are safe. (Notice a theme?)

Memorabilia is important in a car theme, bull**** Recaro restaurant seats would not entice me one bit. I'd immediately think shi**y food. To me that's Hooters with different hardware. I couldn't care less if you brought an exotic inside the restaurant and look at all the places that make seats out of old trunks and die an ugly death. I won't go to a poser palace.

Old fashioned drive-ins are becoming the rage again down in California because of the cars themselves. We don't have anything like that here, but we don't have the weather either. Besides, if that worked, you'd see more interesting cars at Burgermaster. Burgermaster with indoor dining and safe parking would work.

What's missing in the Northwest is that restaurant with the big circle valet and long glass line along the entrance where arriving is an event for those who want that experience. This is really common in Orange County, CA and it's where the exotics go every night. Think Javiers, and so many others with similar entrances, where you want to go if you have a cool car because they park it where it will be seen by arriving patrons, yet still protected.

We have few places like that except for Palisades, Daniels on Lake Union, (Salty's has horrible food), and I can't think of any others where arriving is part of the experience. Again, it's the complete opposite of an exotic car destination where people want to be left alone but both work for different reasons and what they have in common is they are MEMORABLE.

Sorry for the rambling.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 PM
xk1
Tommy Thank you very much for your input. I was actually thinking the exact same things you brought to the table. From my contacts that are still stateside they have not been able to give me the most exciting news as far as good locations. Honestly finding a location that offers safe and secure parking is proving to be the most difficult in available spaces in more developed areas of greater king county. The other stopping point would be the ability to do a full renovation of the space as many places are not very welcoming to the entire idea.

I agree that the experience has to be memorable. There has to be a sense of occasion when you come. Where you feel like your on top of the world and the staff takes care of you well. If the food is good, the decor amazing but the service sucks then what's the point. There are still many things to think about that's a very daunting task.

I do have a few rather outside of the box ideas in regards to marketing but that's staying under the hat.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Just In Time is a splendid one to beholdJust In Time is a splendid one to beholdJust In Time is a splendid one to beholdJust In Time is a splendid one to beholdJust In Time is a splendid one to beholdJust In Time is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rossii
Usually themed restaurants fail after a year simply because the novelty wears off. However, it would be interesting to see the final concept.
Put a indoor karting facility in there and I think the novelty stays round lot longer

Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 PM
fingershooter has a spectacular aura aboutfingershooter has a spectacular aura aboutfingershooter has a spectacular aura about
I certainly can agree with Tommy's comments. While I may not have the same financial means as many who can afford an "exotic" car, I am no less protective and mindful of the security of the vehicles that I own. Having a facility where I can go and both feel comfortable about my vehicles security, and have an enjoyable experience, directly influence my decisions about places I frequent.

Again to second Tommy's comments; I simply don't care about the restaurant's theme as much as I care about my vehicles security and the overall dining experience.

Shane

Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 PM
TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !TommyJames Is a GOD !
This thread is a year old and no sign of the restaurant they were talking about launching.