HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 AM
flyingcesar is a splendid one to beholdflyingcesar is a splendid one to beholdflyingcesar is a splendid one to beholdflyingcesar is a splendid one to beholdflyingcesar is a splendid one to beholdflyingcesar is a splendid one to beholdflyingcesar is a splendid one to beholdflyingcesar is a splendid one to behold
A halogen light housing for the most part can hold an HID bulb just fine and not melt nor fail in any way but the problem comes as to how that housing dissipates or shines out the light. There is now way for a regular halogen housing to contain the high output of an HID bulb without any modification. People then resort to modifying the housing by retrofitting in some projectors from an already HID headlight. Long story short its illegal local law enforcement here in federal way has a tool that lets the officer know where your beam of light is aimed and you can even get a fix it ticket.
Right now on my sisters R56 MINI with the halogen headlamps, we put PIAA bulbs in they did help make things a little brighter but I’m going to go the route of just switching out the whole headlights housing to the factory projectors that are already made to house a HID.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM
FerRrari is infamous around these parts
Thanks to everyone on the thread por pointing this out, I also get annoyed by this type of retrofit which only causes trouble for other drivers. Another pet peeve of mine is people driving with their fog lights on when there's no fog (especially the back ones, Audis are the biggest culprits here), there's nothing cool about it!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Busta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud ofBusta Rib has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RPGilberts87
oh ok gotcha. So when HID's are installed the headlight angle should be adjusted.. That makes sense. I'm not trying to **** anyone off, just tryin to get better light output and change the color a little bit
OP, I sense you have good intentions but a lot of folks' comments are spot on re: your lighting. If you truly want better light output, you should:

1. Use projectors designed for HIDs. You can source them here: www.theretrofitsource.com. Kits start as low as $300 for the projectors and ballasts.

2. You should use bulbs rated at 4300-6000K temp. Anything higher is purely for show and actually puts out less light than halogens. Your 10K bulbs are probably purple in color and will ironically put less usable light on the road than what you replaced them with.

See here: http://www.delonixradar.com.au/hid-x...lour-chart.php

"Whilst we can supply all colour temperatures ranging from 3000k up to 12,000k, we strongly recommend choosing a colour temperature from 4300k to 6000k since the light emitted at this 'K' is the closest you get to achieving daylight colour (and higher than 6000k may be illegal in your area)."

Colour Temp (K) Colour Description:
3000k Yellow light (suitable for fog lights)
4300k White light with tinges of yellow.
5000K: PURE WHITE LIGHT.
6000K: White light with tinges of blue
8000K: Distinct blue color light
10000K: Bluish-green light
12000K: Bluish-purplish light.

Last edited by Busta Rib; 04-26-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:45 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Nice truck
fancy wheels
more pics please
lights - I though if you wanted more lights you got a front mounted light bar and loaded it up... then stock lights for daily driving so as to not upset your fellow pnw driver and then when the road was clear you hit the upfitter switches and light it up like a stadium... then everyone is happy