HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 AM
RPGilberts87 is infamous around these parts
HID Headlights

Hey everyone, I just got a new set of HID's in my truck the other day! I don't think the installer is a member here, but if you guys want good HID's and don't want to pay a butt load for them let me know! But for the mean time check out the pics of my truck and my wifes denali.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Looks very nice. Once you have HID's it's hard to ever drive with halogens again.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:21 PM
I agree! I love the 10K's they're awesome. On my truck I'm running 8k headlights and 3k foglights and on my wifes truck I'm running 10k headlight and 3k foglights. They came with a 1 year hassle free warranty installed so I'm happy!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
HID's in halogen housings isn't that great. Projector headlights look good, but 10K is reducing a lot of light...

Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 AM
Ubar Jay is a jewel in the roughUbar Jay is a jewel in the roughUbar Jay is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mr2guysingh
HID's in halogen housings isn't that great. Projector headlights look good, but 10K is reducing a lot of light...
+1

There's a difference between improving light output and buying just for looks.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:11 PM
AlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to all
Sorry, but I can't stand SUV/Pickups with retrofitted HID kits. Do you realize that you're blinding other drivers?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by AlgaeHater
Sorry, but I can't stand SUV/Pickups with retrofitted HID kits. Do you realize that you're blinding other drivers?
Most people just don't know how to adjust them or simply aren't not aware of it. Look to the fog-line until they pass.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AlgaeHater
+1 I have to agree with Simon. They're just not designed for HID so they end up being too high and WAY too bright!

I'd be curious to see what your STi with "Audi style" lights looks like though.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:41 PM
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1857258 It's the blue 06 sti that's in the first post.
I haven't had any issues with light output with the 10k.
The HID guy has Projector conversions, but I just didn't wanna do that.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
SnohomishX-50 is just really niceSnohomishX-50 is just really niceSnohomishX-50 is just really niceSnohomishX-50 is just really niceSnohomishX-50 is just really nice
Originally Posted by atomic80
+1 I have to agree with Simon. They're just not designed for HID so they end up being too high and WAY too bright!
X1000. Hate to rain on your parade because I'm sure you spent some good time and money on those and they do look nice, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine also. I know the guys running large/high trucks with brighter than the sun headlights don't intentionally plan on pissing off every car driving person on the road...but sadly, that's what they are doing whether they are aware of it or not.

You know your lights are too bright when, using the brightness of your headlights, the driver of the car in front of you can make shadow animals with his hand appear on the car in front of him. Been there...done that...not fun.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
mr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to beholdmr2guysingh is a splendid one to behold
You do know HID lights in halogen housings are illegal, right?

No, in order for a headlight to be legal for use in Washington State, it must conform to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 108 requirements for headlights. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with FMVSS 108.
Halogen equipment uses an electrical current to heat a metal wire coil filament to incandescence, while the HID conversion kit's light source incorporates a discharge arc to produce light. HIDs require a ballast for operation. Under FMVSS 108 Section S7.7 (replacement light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location, and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast).
NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum candlepower by over 800 percent.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 AM
I see what you guys are saying, but when you talk about putting HID's in halogen housings what's the difference in the housing? Is there a different composite they are made of? Because a 2003 Acura TL with factory HID headlights looks the same as my truck headlights. By that I mean it's plastic and it has the little diffuser over the tip of the bulb.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
The difference between the Acura TL housing is that it was actually designed from the start to use HID so therefore the lighting profile isn't quite as "high" and much more pronounced in terms of "cutout" design. Halogen headlights aren't as bright so they don't have the same type of "cutout" so when you do convert it after the fact to HID lights, it's WAY brighter and ends up blinding oncoming drivers.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 AM
oh ok gotcha. So when HID's are installed the headlight angle should be adjusted.. That makes sense. I'm not trying to **** anyone off, just tryin to get better light output and change the color a little bit

Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by RPGilberts87
oh ok gotcha. So when HID's are installed the headlight angle should be adjusted.. That makes sense. I'm not trying to **** anyone off, just tryin to get better light output and change the color a little bit
I have a feeling that even if you adjust the angle, that might not be enough. There are certainly alternatives such as different types of halogen bulbs (from PIAA?), etc. Have your wife get into her car from an opposite angle, or vice versa and you do the same to see how bright it is. You'll see what we mean here.

I always end up flashing my highbeams at pickup trucks, SUVs, etc that have aftermarket HID lights because they are, after all, too bright.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID Headlights